Does this sound too ridiculous?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Lucy E., May 25, 2008.

1. seantrott

seantrott New Member

I know I personally dislike the Paolini books as well, it was just an example. And lol I mean to write 300+ page novels, not 300 + novels. ;)

2. clarethere

clarethere New Member

I have to say as soon as I read 'his parents are witches' I instantly thought of Harry Potter but the very next sentence made me realise it would be nothing like HP. Just because a story shares some similarities with another doesn't make it derivative in my mind, it's how it differs that can make it interesting and this idea as a whole doesn't remind me of any other story I've read, I like it! The way the boy has to tackle his personal 'demons' while helping with the external ones is done in a novel way in my opinion. There seems to be too much around about super/magical heroes tackling angst from either death or lost love, using something as 'base' as OCD (no disrespect) seems like a great angle to me.

3. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Thanks, Clare, your feedback is much appreciated. :)

4. Flightlessfoofaraw

Flightlessfoofaraw New Member

I think the fact that your story seems Harry-Potter-esque is consequence of the extent to which Rowling has penetrated the social consciousness, rather than because there are many genuine plots similarities. I mean, let's be honest, any story with a teenage protagonist who practices magic, irrespective of the plot from then on out, is always going to be compared with Harry Potter, just because the name has become so synonymous with that sort of character.

To answer your original question, given the genre, no, that plot outline does not sound too rediculous :)

5. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Thank you. :)
    I was just a little (okay, more than a little) irritated that I was being belitted by two members on here...one of whom apologised, to be fair.

6. Obsidian Vulture

Obsidian Vulture New Member

I agree that her writing does not deserve to be put in a pit with Paolini's, in that she actually managed to create some of the cliche's that he ripped off. I also concur on the second point - they aren't the pinnacle of literary accomplishment (and I get a bit annoyed when they are upheld as such), but the first three at least were a good read and managed to break away from the 'drugs, sex and teenage angst' formula that had become the norm for young-adult literature. Unfortunately the angst crept back in there in the end, and the rushed nature of the last books combined with her contemptuous attitude have somewhat lowered my opinion of Ms. Rowling.

Despite that, I would hold her above Paolini any day. She is by no means a bad author; just an average, stinking-rich one (and good for her, she deserves the money more than celebrities do).

7. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

I can't say I disagree, Obsidian Vulture.
    Although the 'teenage angst' aspect of the books is something I don't mind. It helps teens relate more to Harry and makes Harry more realistic...although he did get a little arrogant and annoying toward the end of the series.

8. JimT.

JimT. New Member

Jeez, who cares if something is derivative, as long as it's derivative of success. Assuming commercial fiction, editors and their masters are looking for novels with a low fear factor. Something completely original--with no famous name attached--will have a high fear factor, because there's no way to know it will sell well. If they can say, "this novel, 'Jumping for Joy' is similar to the bestseller, 'Leaping for Lunacy,'" then they can see dollar signs. How else to explain the large numbers of published novels that recycle concepts. Magic, magic, magic in the middle grade novel market is a good example.

This assumes the writer isn't writing to illuminate his desk drawer and to remain above those who simply sell.

9. Maxie Boi

Maxie Boi New Member

The plot idea does not appear cliche, or unrealistic, well not unrealistic for a fantasy setting anyway, and the only similarities with HP being what has already been mentioned, and as others mentioned it will be compared with HP due to its popularity, but not because of the plot.

On the point that you can't write for an older audience. You are studying at a much higher English level than for your age, at least you would be in America. Therefore, you are exposed to more 'adult' literature, and have a much greater chance to write at a higher level. Which leads to writing for adults. Don't ever sell yourself short.

On the point of classes, I agree with you, Science stinks. =D History and English all the way, even though I hate writing papers for class.

10. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Thanks for the input. :)
    I appreciate it very much.

11. Leo

Leo New Member

Great idea!

Glad my name is not being used in vain!

Have you seen that film that's out at the moment, The Happening? It has an element of that. Completely different story line. But you got the spooky tress ;)

12. assassins creed

assassins creed Banned

It sounds fascinating so far (remember that the male characters of magical families are either wizards or warlocks) I have to agree with smithy though that calling a character the Anti whatever is very lame name as it does not make you believe the character is capable of causing such mayhem.

I like the way you created the character Ascandra the warlock who has a tendency to dabble in the dark arts, but to try and help he is using white magic to rid the city of this evil that hs spread through the city.. Perhaps this is only a ploy on his part to take the eye of the magical world away from him, while he is planning something even more destructive in the background.

Also I like the way you are developing a love interest for Leo with the neighbours daughter who is also has magical powers.

13. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Actually, wizards and warlocks ARE NOT witches. Male witches are called, shockingly, witches. Warlock is another term for a male witch, but they've been established as evil so I thought it best not to cause confusion by calling the male witches warlocks. Also, as I said, Anti-Elves is a TEMPORARY name.
    Thanks very much for the feedback; I'll keep what you said in mind. :)

14. assassins creed

assassins creed Banned

Hi Lucy,
    I have to say that you are a very interesting young lady (literally speaking) You have an excellent command of the English language and I think that your present story is fascinating and would like to see you develop it further.

I would also like (if possible) to be able to read one of your other novels that you have already written as you have the makings of a world class author - considering you have already written 5 novels and are still only 12 years old...I will have to keep an eye out on the best seller list in the near future a rising star!!

15. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Aw, thanks. :) Shucks.

My other novels are currently saved on my old computer, but when I get my memory stick back I'll email you one of my previous works. PM me your email address if you'd like me to send them to you.

16. assassins creed

assassins creed Banned

Hello again Lucy..
    Just to mimic justinab, I agree with what she said: What matters is you... and your choices in life. Not your age.
    You are a young lady who happens to care about what you are writing about. Also as far as confidence goes listen to what we are saying to you as you will only get constructive criticism and tons of encouragement from myself and others such as justinab (including al b) as I firmly believe he was only trying to be positive and encouraging too.

Just remember to continue developing your story and if you wish to get positive feedback or would like my opinion on its development feel free to email or post me

17. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Thanks. And yes, I agree with you on the age thing, also.
    Thank you for the offer, I might just take you up on it. :)