Doing a presentation

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by OurJud, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I feel you, Jud. I've always been terrified of public speaking but I force myself to do it. I've presented to a room of 40 people which, to me, was huge.

And it hasn't got easier. Not even a bit.

But what I do now realise is that people know you're nervous, because most of them would be too. People know you'd rather not be doing it. And really, what's the worst that can happen? I always take a verbatim speech in along with my notes, so I know that if my mind goes completely blank (has never happened, but is worst case scenario) I can just read off the paper. That'd be a boring presentation for sure, but if it's the worst that can happen?... well, okay. I can live with that.

If your worst case scenario is having a panic attack, then what does that really mean? That the lecturers will be worried about you and wish they hadn't put you through it. Again, I can live with that... can you?

You could always talk for 10 minutes about how much you hate public speaking and why it shouldn't be part of the curriculum. ;)

Same here! If I'm in a meeting with big important people and someone asks me a question, I'm fine answering it. But if I know they're going to ask it in advance? TERRIFYING.

Makes no sense.

OurJud likes this.
  2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Well I did it, and it was... okay.

Thanks to all for your support and encouragement. It really did help.

3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Well done, you!

True bravery is being afraid and doing it anyway. :)

Sal Boxford and OurJud like this.