1. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed

Charles Stross on Book Titles

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Iain Aschendale, May 28, 2019.

Hmm, like the title says, Charles Stross with some thoughts on the process of titling your book/trilogy/series in the modern publishing environment.

Book Title Blues

Earp likes this.
  2. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Interesting and mildly alarming. I feel like it's an act of effrontery for a publisher to slap a title on a book or series without your permission. They should certainly at least consult with you a little, give you some opportunity, make suggestions, even if they ultimately overrule you. Anyone who regularly doesn't should rightly lose business.

3. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Very interesting, and I liked this:

" ... Dave Langford published a book titled 'Dragonhiker's Guide to Battlefield Covenant at Dune's Edge, Odyssey Two'. I'd like to note that this is pitch-perfect for a self-published Kindle Unlimited title ..."

Iain Aschendale and Oscar Leigh like this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

This is one of the many reasons i chose to self publish - admittedly that also puts the onus on me to come up with a workable title without help.

I saw an interview with barry eisler about this - his first books were all forcibly titled with something to do with the characters name rain fall, hard rain, rainstorm and so on, then retitled with other titles he also didn't like... hes recently got the rights back and is rereleasing them with the titles he wanted in the first place

One point of note on this is that Hard Rain was a film title that was hot at roughly the same time (Nicholas cage), and i first discovered Eisler when i picked it up in a book store thinking it would be a novelisation of the movie

Iain Aschendale and Oscar Leigh like this.
  5. Oscar Leigh

:D:D

6. Oscar Leigh

Isn't that breaking their own rules around not coinciding with films or so on?

7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

yes - but these rules are more like vague guidelines - there are lots of books out that have titles already in use by books or by movies

when whats his face published "Fire and Fury" about the trump presidency two other authors that i know of saw spikes in page views as people came to their books called 'fire and fury' instead

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  8. Oscar Leigh

Interesting