Don't Feed the Trolls

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Wreybies, Jul 5, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I'd say it is, because you (or I) arent a mod and thus have no right to tell someone where to post... however Kat seems to feel different and since she is a mod, I'd stand corrected unless Wrey feels differently again

Trish likes this.
  2. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

I like how clear and concise that is in it's informational capacity. ;)

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Its a site dedicated to taking the piss out of badly modified cars.... its not as much fun as it was since they changed admins (note you can't join with a webmail address) - I'd only advise you to join if you have a very thick skin .... also its not like any other forum in terms of protocol so read the stickies if you don't want to get flamed

http://www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/portal.php

Trish likes this.
  4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I don't have a right to tell someone where to post and to expect to be able to enforce that. But expressing my opinion that this belongs at X instead of Y doesn't seem like the same thing.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Clearly engaging, I think we both agree here.

No, I don't think of this as "engaging" to be honest. If it looks like it needs to go to the debate room, it should also be reported. If the initial member has a str8-up meltdown, as long as everyone else steers clear of the meltdown, the only person to be held to account will be the one experiencing his/her own little Chernobyl :)

Trish and KaTrian like this.
  6. ChickenFreak

Cool. Then, assuming I'm understanding this correctly, my plan is to reply to these posts, possibly bolding the Debate Room portion, and respond with no more than "Debate Room." If someone else has done so, I'll just Like their post. Edited to add: And Report.

I realize that this all sounds very legalistic and excessively plan-aheadish, but I find it maddening for certain things to sit unchallenged even for the modest time that it takes a moderator to get some sleep. So having a Planned Response will be useful for me.

BayView and izzybot like this.
  7. Wreybies

The problem, tho, lies in genuinely steering clear. We are what what we are, which is tricked up, rather naked apes. I still say that simply reporting it is the best way to go to save yourself.

Another thing:

Some of you are rolling your eyes and thinking "Yeah, I've reported before and nothing happened. Zilch."

Yes, the possibility of that happening is non-zero. If the staff pounced at every single report, that's the definition of a Goon Squad.

8. ChickenFreak

I'd say that about fifty percent of my reports get visibly acted on. (One hundred percent of the wildly obvious ones like spam; a smaller percentage of the edge cases.) That seems just fine.

I assume that for the edge cases, enough edge cases adding up for the same person are likely to eventually lead to action. I will continue to assume that whether it's true or not, because it reduces the odds of my going kaboom in a thread.

BayView likes this.
  9. Wreybies

I'll be completely transparent and say this is actually the most common reason for someone receiving a pink slip. It's also the most argued and the least pleasant, as regards to the way members view it and as regards to the way the staff discusses off-site. Someone who falls into this category usually lasts long enough to be in this category because there is other, more constructive behavior to balance out the scale. When it finally tips to one side, this doesn't mean there still isn't a lot of weight on the other side of that scale. No one feels comfortable when that happens. That mass of weight to the other side of the scale, that may be significant, but not quite as much as the side that tipped against that person, is still disquieting.

jannert and izzybot like this.
  10. ChickenFreak

This is why I try to suppress the wide streak of "You're wrong and I will argue with you until the end of time!!!!" in my personality. I'm assuming that if those restraints start to get loose, somebody would warn me. I hope. Yep.

jannert likes this.
  11. big soft moose

You and me both ... which is why on the rare occasions you and I disagree it could go on and on and on.... fortunately we are also both adult enough to walk away and not hold grudges. :)

jannert and Trish like this.
  12. big soft moose

I'd suggest that it might be more friendly and less likely to end in tears to say "may be this would be better in the debate room ?" so it sounds like a suggestion rather than an instruction ? (which avoid the whole 'not authorised to tell me yadda yadda)

Although personally I'm still going to aim for saying nothing - though sometimes its sooo difficult

13. Trish

I even linked to the debate room. No dice.

Cave Troll likes this.
  14. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I concede at some point. Usually I am proven wrong, but sometimes
    it is just easier to bounce before SHTF.
    I don't hold grudges. Life is too short to be pissed of at somebody. :)

Dr.Meow and Trish like this.
  15. big soft moose

That's the point to walk away with you hands clean and let Wrey or whoever cast down a bolt of lightning from Valhalla at which ever miscreant dares to offend the g mods

Trish likes this.
  16. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Being "the guy who reports everything" is my exact anxiety, so thanks for saying that :D

KaTrian likes this.
  17. big soft moose

I report a fair bit - (and thats not counting the ETB project where my report key was glowing white hot) and they are yet to tell me to cease and desist

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  18. Trish

Yes. I shall follow your doctrine. :D

19. Trish

And me! So I pull the "agree to disagree" card and then Chicken pulls me back in and then I say it again, and then she says 'well, I see that you're done, but..." :superlaugh:

jannert and ChickenFreak like this.
  20. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

What the hell is an "edge lord"(or "edge") and when did that term become so popular?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  21. Wreybies

That term has been around for a long time. The irony in edgelording is how passé it is. An edgelord is someone who attempts to strike a provocativa attitude, say things intended to scandalize or incite, and then beats a retreat to safer climes. A common enough internet behavior since there's no fear of getting popped in the mouth.

123456789 likes this.
  22. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Like Pinky!

Dr.Meow, Wreybies and Trish like this.
  23. Wreybies

Mmmmm... I don't know. Pinky certainly had some issues knowing where to draw the line concerning bawdy/lewd content. An edgelord is more about projecting a smugness of being too cool to care about what happens when they stir the shit pot. Edgelords are usually intermittent visitors as well because their behavior tries to cash a cheque they cannot pay.

24. Trish

I only really had the pleasure of one line of interaction with him, but he fit that description with me - he stirred it all up, walked away, came back for one more jab and then bailed.

Wreybies likes this.
  25. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Was that the snopes.com message board? Because that was totally a thing there and I was an active member from 2001 to around 2008. Do I knoe you in an earlier incarnation????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.