1. MissPomegranate

MissPomegranate New Member

Drawing Characters?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by MissPomegranate, Sep 13, 2010.

For most of my characters, I have to draw them out before I can write them. At least I make a little sketch of them so I know what I'm describing.

Anyone else like that, or is it just me? And, for anyone who does, do you find it hard to convey your picture of them into words?

2. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

I got loads of non verbal processes going when I develops characters.

The first process is often a tactile, I first identify body language and body "feeling" for my characters. And often I take the time to draw them as well. (click link in signature for examples)

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I draw them out and make scrapbooks, I had no bother describing everyone I needed in my first book but my second I am struggling more.

4. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I draw them. But then again, I write graphic novels, not novels, so it's kinda mandatory. ;)
    Describing them verbally would be beyond me.

5. Naiyn

Naiyn New Member

I would, but the only way it would do me any good is if I were writing a story populated soully by stick people with disproportionate heads and scribbles for hair. :p

6. Zombie_Chinchilla

Zombie_Chinchilla New Member

I don't have to do it to describe them in words, no, but if I'm bored and have nothing to do, I will.

7. marcusl

marcusl New Member

Zombie_Chinchilla, what's with that display picture? It's hilarious XD.

I always draw the characters and settings in my stories. Often, I find myself discovering new design elements in the process of sketching. Sometimes, you'll draw to too much detail, and a lot of the things don't end up being mentioned in the book. But hey, that's okay.

8. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

I like drawing my characters, but I accept fully that sometimes even if I draw them how I'll see them in one context, it's not how I generally see them when I write. I just don't rate my art against my mental images even if I think I've hit pretty close on some details... And I know that the writing will usually paint a really different image anyway.

People often say of the drawings I think are CLOSEST to my mental images that it's nothing how they imagined, while if I go for a lot more generalised sort of look (just focussing on key features, perhaps so I can just design a coat style so rush off a cartoony face so it doesn't look like creepy floating empty clothes) people tend to think it fits their mental image. Because people don't think in great detail anyways. There's no point describing their exact nose arch to eyebrow-closeness, nor in wasting time drawing it.

9. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

Sometimes I draw the characters before the story takes place, and others I have to draw them just because.

I really don't use the sketch of the character to describe them, I know EXACTLY what my character looks like (I have photographic memory, and somehow, I can turn that photograph into words... Maybe it's just the combo of writer and artist in me). But it's always good to go back to a sketch of them just in case you forget something.

But yeah, I draw my characters, or sometimes, the characters draw themselves it seems.

10. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

Amen.

I wish I could draw...

11. Elgaisma

I home educate my daughter and we use the fabulous Draw Write Now books recommend them. My drawing skills unlike my seven year old are appalling but they have improved a lot since I started doing them with her and have really helped my writing.

My seven year old is amazing (she was able to draw William Shakespeare and Robert Burns so people recognised them without a label lol) - I get her to draw Japanese Anime style characters for me they are fun seeing my characters being drawn by someone else is really useful.

12. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

I am very jealous of you and your daughter! If only I could draw that well... or at least have someone nearby who could and wanted to draw my characters :p

13. Elgaisma

seriously the books are why I can get anything close to my characters when I draw I was stick people before that. I can now even draw chickens, pigs etc, I don't have talent for art on any level but I can now to a paint by numbers idea of what I need.

14. Horizon Noise

Horizon Noise New Member

Practice :) Drawing talent isn't something you're born with, it's a product of practice and hard work. The more you do the better you get, in general terms. Anyone - literally anyone - can become a good artist and some can go further and become excellent.

15. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Drawing is an something you can pick up the basic of fast, and by fast I mean in dozens of hours, or a few intense days and or a few lazy weeks practice. "Drawing with the right side of the brain" by Betty Edwards is a book that is internationally renown for producing good result among students fast. I read it and it excellent, and available at most library's. And its always in print if you want to buy it online. Their 5 day programs produce results like this. Before, after.
    [​IMG]

I would recommend to all writers to give drawing a chance. It is a non verbal process, and perfect relaxation if you wanna take a brake, or sit down and think about something in the story. Because it doesn't interfere with the story thinking, and trigger all sort of new crative associations. Just because other parts of the brains used, even id you just sketching stick figures, potato heads and patterns in the margin of the page.