1. Edward

Edward Active Member

Drawing help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Edward, Apr 13, 2008.

So, about two years ago my tablet pen shattered like Narsil, and I sort of stopped drawing. And even before that I haven't done anything art wise in quite a long time, so as a result my drawing skills are rustier than they ought to be.

Is there any website out there that's exceptionally good for learning to draw manga and comic books? I've tried looking on my own, but while it's a safe bet google has something deep within it's recesses, looking up "manga drawing tutorial" and the like has only given me the kinds of things cheap fanart is made of.

Also, I'd like to point out that none of these tutorial people seem to realize that "Manga" and "Anime" are different styles.

And now, to show you were I am, examples of my work. Even if you don't have a tutorial or website that would help me, feel free to critique it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's all I'm at liberty to say. Mostly because all the other ones are utter crap.
    Actually, besides that picture of Suo at the top, these are crap too. And the Suo isn't crap because I drew it from an image I culled off of googled.

2. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Have you tried searching for tutorials on deviantART? I've seen some nice ones.

3. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

It might just be me but your pictures look amazing, especially the last one. there is a lass in my art class who can draw amazing mange and anime looking things.

And sorry I wouldn't kow where to look for help, just google it and see what comes up.

4. Edward

Edward Active Member

well, as I said, those are the better ones.

Here are... others. Some good, some not so good. If you'll notice, I can't draw in poses very well. Most of the people are frontal view, doing nothing but standing there. Which is mostly what I'm looking for help on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

huh, only four pictures allowed?

5. Edward

Edward Active Member

The other half

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Klee

Klee New Member

Tutorials can be helpful but there's only one way to get better: draw. Constantly. Every day.

About three years ago my drawings were utter crap now that I look back on them, and now they're more or less decent, there's always room for improvement. If you can, try taking a formal drawing class to learn things like proportion and angles, it really helps and makes a huge difference in drawings.

7. Edward

Edward Active Member

The not drawing thing is my biggest problem, but I can't get my mind into the "practice" mode because I don't like how it is.

That is to say, I don't want to practice the wrong way, because that means I'll going to end up doing it the wrong way.

8. adamant

An example of a good tutorial on drawing perspectives: http://sashas.deviantart.com/art/Perspective-Tutorial-Preview-52633664

It is true that you should practice honing your skills often, however, it will be for naught if you don't have a sound foundation to build on.

9. Klee

Klee New Member

Doesn't matter. It's like writing, no matter how many books you read, you're not gonna get better if you don't actually write.

Have some confidence. You're not gonna get better in two or three days, it's gonna take a year or two so better start now, don't you think?

If it helps you, I recommend you start by tracing. But don't put the paper over the image and copy it, look at it from the side and try to draw as faithfully as possible. It helped me a lot when I started about five or six years ago, although IMO I still draw like crap lol.

10. adamant

Edward's wanting to learn the fundamentals does not correspond to the relationship between writing and reading, but to the relationship between writing and understanding grammar. One can write ceaselessly and yet only improve marginally if the essentials are not mastered. A writer needs to know spelling, punctuation, diction, et cetera to communicate effectively.

11. Klee

Klee New Member

My point was that there's no use in wanting to learn if your not going to take a chance and actually do it, regardless of whether you do it right or wrong.

12. adamant

I believe he stopped because he felt he wasn't learning much from his previous methods. If he finds a good tutorial, it will inspire him to practice, remedying that problem.

13. nburwell

nburwell New Member

Was is Manga you wanted? Because at amazon.com you can find a series called How to Draw Manga that is apparently absolutely fabulous for learning. My sister is a tattoo artist and loves them.

Here's the link: click

Hope this helps.

~Natalie

14. Edward

Edward Active Member

Well, I stopped because... well, I don't really know. But the fact that I was getting nowhere with it was indeed part of it. And a good tutorial would snap me out of that rut.

Oh, the pen breaking was also part of it.

Also: Klee, been meaning to ask, did you draw your avatar?

15. Cicero

Cicero Banned

I love to paint! Except I don't have any pictures on my computer. I've drawn one thing on the computer. I'm obviously the next Van Gogh.

[​IMG]

edit: I don't know how to make it a "spoiler".

16. Klee

Klee New Member

Yes, I drew my own avatar. Best thing I did in a long time.

17. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I sketched my avatar too, on a whiteboard. I should try another soon.

18. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

I've actually made a collection of tutorials under my favourites on deviantART, here's the link if you're interested, I think some of them are suitable-

http://ILTBY.deviantart.com/favourites/#_3029734

19. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

in a little cage in the bowls of Cephalid
    I wouldn't call how to draw manga the best series to learn from I have fifteen books they are practical and also for the more advanced artist. I've collected a few of Chris Harts books they aren't to bad for the cheaper choice. I didn't like them at first because of the fact the pictures seemed more american then manga. They do have some good tips for beginning artists and shaping up for the not so amature artist.

While we are on the subject anyone know of anyone on deviantart that has a good copic marker tutorial for a complete moron ><

20. adamant

21. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

Just added it to my collection, thanks Adamant.

22. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

I sketch good, and the only hing that I know is I sketch with passion.........as far as I see, you have the zeal, and you're hands smooth, but you need to go tighter on details,,.....it'll help, of course my genre is mainly sketching women...and I rare sketch anime or manga, but as far as I know, it's an universal funda./..

23. Edward

Edward Active Member

You know what I need?

I need a comic version of Bob Ross.