Drinks Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Steerpike, Aug 21, 2022.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Yes I like that one.

trevorD likes this.
  2. Steerpike

Something I have seen more recently in Los Angeles are ‘custom’ cocktails, where the bartender asks questions about foods/drinks/flavors you like and then comes up with something on the fly. I’m sure they have tons of these in their back pocket ready to go, so it’s not really on the fly, but so far I’ve been happy with the creations. Usually something gin based. Maybe mezcal if I want something smoky.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
    love to read and Homer Potvin like this.
  3. Steerpike

I have wanted to try Armagnac. I’ll look for the bottle you mentioned.

A nice sipping rum I have that is reasonably priced is Bumbu.

NigeTheHat likes this.
  4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Yeah, that's a standard part of the playbook. And you're right... all the drinks are pre-cons.

5. Homer Potvin

Gin and tonics tonight. Nothing like a gin and tonic in the summer! Though if it cools down much more, I may audible to a rocks manhattan. Nothing like a rocks manhattan in the fall!

Steerpike likes this.
  6. Steerpike

It’s hot here. Love a good gin and tonic. And I have a lime tree out back.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  7. Homer Potvin

No shit? That's awesome. Those will not grow here, which is unfortunate when you have to buy 20+ cases of limes a week.

I've been trying for years to give gin some love but it just doesn't sell. Other than the standard G&Ts, gimlets, and occasional vesper.

Steerpike likes this.
  8. Steerpike

A blood orange tree too. They were here when I moved in.

Gin is my favorite. There are a few places where that have a good selection, and at least one with a range of good gin cocktails. A lot more that focus on whisky or mezcal, though.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  9. Homer Potvin

Mezcal is very, very strange. It had virtually no existence until it worked its way to obligatory-cocktail-menu-box-check status. And I have no idea how that happened. One day it wasn't there and the next day it was. Guests still don't know what it is and almost never drink it neat. And there's no high end trim level for it yet. Kind of like vodka, which peaked at Stoli Elite.

Tequila and whiskey? They can't make a bottle expensive enough for rich idiots.

10. Steerpike

@Homer Potvin

I remember back into the 90s having mezcal with friends from Mexico, or first-gen friends whose parents are from Mexico. They’d usually have some stuff made in small batches who knows where. Some was pretty good and some was a bit rough. But even in California you didn’t often see it in restaurants and bars. Now I see it all over the place. There’s a Mexican restaurant/lounge here with an extensive cocktail menu built around mezcal. I think they opened around 2017 or 18 and that’s when I started to notice mezcal showing up on a lot of menus out here.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  11. Homer Potvin

Seems about right...

12. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

you can thread ban a moderator or an administrator by the way ( anyone apart from Daniel)

but of course they could use their mod powers to undo the ban

on topic when I used to drink I used to like a sufferin bastard, of a lethal bastard… I can’t recal exactly what the recipe is but it’s something like three kinds of rum, orange syrup and some sort of mixer .., Homer can probably tell us in detail

for a lethal bastard you add bourbon to a sufferin bastard

one of the reasons I stopped drinking was that if I had one I’d probably have ten and wake up in a skip three days later

Homer Potvin and Hammer like this.
  13. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Never fear, Homer. I am here to balance your excesses. I have a frozen margarita once or twice a year (actually, I drink about half and give the rest to someone else) and a teaspoon of whiskey maybe that often. I like the taste of whiskey but not the buzz, so I tend to inelegantly dip my finger into the tiny little glass I keep especially for whiskey occasions and touch it to my tongue.

There. Feel sufficiently counteracted?

14. Steerpike

Made Aviations this weekend. Mostly the traditional way, though I did try one substituting lime juice for lemon juice. It wasn't bad--a little sweeter flavor but not as good as the version with lemon juice. Still, a classic drink. Fun to make and guests always seem to like it.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  15. Homer Potvin

Sounds like a variation of a rum runner. Bunch of rum with a bunch of juice or something else sweet. There's a zillion variations.

I keep a bottle creme de violet around for those. Been maybe 3 years since I've had to use it. Definitely stick to the lemon juice. Lime shifts it into gimlet territory.

Steerpike likes this.
  16. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Apparently there are two different cocktails called the sufferin bastard - the one i remember is this one

• oz Pusser’s Rum
    • 2 oz Gold Rum
    • 1 oz overproof Rum
    • 1 oz orange curacao liqueur
    • 1/2 oz Orgeat Syrup
    • 1 oz fresh lime juice
    • 2 oz fresh orange juice
    Directions
    • Shake all ingredients with crushed ice, then pour into an ice-filled Double Old-fashioned or Double Rocks Glass.
    • Garnish with slice of orange, the spent lime and a sprig of mint
    https://pussersrum.com/blogs/cocktails/suffering-bastard-cocktail

the other one is which is a suffering bastard with a g is

Ingredients
    • 1 ounce bourbon
    • 1 ounce London dry gin
    • 1/2 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
    • 2 dashes Angostura bitters
    • Ginger beer, to top
    • Garnish: mint sprig
    Steps
    1. Add the bourbon, gin, lime juice and bitters into a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled (about 30 seconds).
    2. Strain into a Collins glass over fresh ice.
    3. Top with the ginger beer.
    4. Garnish with a mint sprig
    https://www.liquor.com/recipes/suffering-bastard

don't like gin or angostura bitters so i would have given that one the swerve

17. Homer Potvin

Pretty much a rum runner on the first, with a little orgy (orgeat) thrown in to mai tai it up a bit. Second one with bourbon and gin is new to me...

18. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Another of my lowbrow mixologies. I just happened to see the Jameson Cold Brew, and fall is in the air, so I'm drinking coffee again, and I picked up a bottle. It's good in coffee, but really astonishingly good in Coke. It has almost a black licorice flavor together, but not as sweet, and with the definite coffee taste. I wasn't sure it would go well, but it really does.

19. Homer Potvin

I'll mail you the bottle that's been sitting on one of my bars for the last 4 years.

20. Xoic

Ah, extra aging, free of charge! Sign me up! :cool:

21. Homer Potvin

Think I've got a Jame-o Cask Strength and Orange collecting dust next to it. My predecessor on the beverage side bought them because he got a "deal." 4 years and $30K worth of dead inventory later, I've moved most of his "deals" except for those rand-o Jame-os.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  22. Xoic

Weird, wonder why? Maybe they're not trendy enough? You should put them on special.

23. Homer Potvin

I tried to give em away for free and nobody wanted them! It's shots or nothing with Jame-o these days.

24. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I'll be getting a list of turn of the last century (1899-1900) cocktails that were popular in Shanghai soon. This'll be fun.

Steerpike likes this.
  25. Steerpike

Dang—the airport wine bar in Minneapolis sells Caymus by the glass. Sure, it’s $40 per glass but after three days in meetings with lawyers and government relations folks I’m down for it!

Homer Potvin and Iain Aschendale like this.