1. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Drunk Drivers!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Torana, Aug 11, 2007.

Recently my parents had a very frightening experience with a drunk driver. Here is the story.

They were on their way to play darts when they saw a car in the ditch on the side of the road. They pulled over and my mother went to see if the people were ok. There was one person in the car who was laying down across the front seats. A drunken idiot. He sat up and tried to drag her into the car, she has a terminal illness that affects her heart and lungs so as you can imagine it would not have helped.

My father then raced over and another driver stopped. My father got my mother away from the man and then he and the other driver decided to help this man get his car out of the ditch.

Once out of the ditch he almost ran into my parents car and wouldd have pushed it on its roof top into the ditch and my mother was in the car. So she would not have survived the accident if it had of happened.

He copped a lot of abuse and then drove off. My parents continued along their way only to find him and his car in another ditch further along on past another town.

This driver was reported 4 times by 4 different people and the police never went out to sort him out at all.

I was mortified when they told me about it.

Then the next day we heard that a young female driver had murdered her partner in the town they were playing darts by running him over with her car.

Was not a good night to be on the road that is for sure.

Don't drink and drive, it ain't worth it!!!!!!!!

Torana

2. rml8607

rml8607 New Member

That is a horrifying story, I'm so glad your parents are ok

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It also goes to show that even if you don't drink and drive, you have to watch out for those who do. Kind of a "duh" statement, but I never drive on New Year's Eve, even if I have no intention of drinking.

When I first left home for college, I was gone less than a week when there was a fatal accident almost directly in front of my mother's house. At the time, we lived along a state highway that ran in a straight line for a mile and a half to a popular speedway (auto racing). The first curve was nearly in front of our house, and there was a telephone pole at the curve. It was not unusual for people leaving the speedway to race down the straightaway after the races.

About 2 AM that morning, my mother was awakened by an indescribable loud noise, and looked out therough her window. It was dark, but she could see what appeared to be a car upside down on the highway. She threw on some clothes and started to go out to check, but her naighbor stopped her.

The car was indeed upside down, having sheered off the telephone pole at the base, The rear portion of the car was on the highway in front of the house, the rest was about 50 feet further down the road. The driver had gone through the windshield, and the upside-down front part of the car slid down the highway. The neighbor had hurd animal-like sounds from that part of the car, and when he went over to check, the driver was alive, and swearing at him to get him the **** out of the car. There was nothing he could do to help, and the driver was pronounced when the ambulances reached the scene.

The highway was littered with empty beer cans from the wreck.

4. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

wow that is intense Cogito. Glad that her neighbour stopped her from going over to the wreckage.

It is tragic how many accidents happen on the roads these days. January 2006 was pronounced Black January as here in WA there was a hugely significant number of accidents with fatalities on the roads.

I won't go into the details as it was a very traumatic time for many people I know. But there were more then 12 deaths from what I can remember.

It just goes to show that we all have to be extremely careful on the roads. Accidents can happen so easily and for a million reasons.

It is horrible but the fact of the matter is the whole time the human race is in control of anything with a motor in it and can carry a human in it, there will always be these traumatic and horrifying accidents.

Just gotta make sure you are always aware of everything around you!!!

5. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

I hate it when people say
    "oh don't worry about her, she drives better when she is drunk"

not cool

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

No, not cool at all. Too often, drunks are portrayed as amusing and harmless. But when they enclose themselves in hundreds of pounds of steel and power, and place themselves on a highway with innocent drivers and pedestrians, there is nothing amusing about that.

I'm not a prude. I enjoy beer, Manhattans, and several other potent potables. But I do not drive in that condition.

I did when I was younger, and I'm not proud of that. No one got hurt, but they could have.

It's a very serious matter.

7. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Yes I agree. I have been with people who have driven drunk, but these days I would not tolerate it for a second.