1. Mars125

Mars125 Banned

During a video call with a superior officer, do subordinates still salute?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Mars125, Apr 1, 2023.

There are a lot of video calls in my story, being that it deals with upper-level command structures at different bases, and yet I can't find much online as to the protocol for how video calls are handled.

When a subordinate is on a video call with a superior, they are both speaking to and seeing each other, so really the technology interface is the only difference from a face-to-face encounter, right?

So, does the subordinate then also salute the superior during said video call? Or would that be unnecessary due to the technological separation?

It feels weird to imagine someone saluting toward a computer, but I'll write it that way if that's how it's done. Does anybody know?

2. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

Saluting is not done indoors, unless there is a ceremonial reason. Indoors people would come to attention for a superior officer.

Mars125 likes this.
  3. Mars125

Mars125 Banned

Ah, I see. So it is treated basically like a face-to-face encounter, with the same rules?

Like if a battlefield commander were on video call from a laptop at some forward base and he's outdoors, then he'd salute his officer? Just wanna make sure I understand

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

You also don’t salute in a combat zone generally speaking ( because it tells the snipers who to kill )

video conferencing has only really been a thing for a few years so I don’t think the military really has a solid protocol for it, I’d be inclined to say this is an area where the author can make something up

that said in general the military use radios to communicate so it wouldn’t be usual for a front line commander to be making a video call anyway

Mars125 likes this.
  5. Mars125

Mars125 Banned

That's true, I was just asking theoretically for other writers' sake, should somebody in need of info find this thread. I don't have a scene like that, but if I did I'll keep that in mind.

Ditto on the snipers too haha

6. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

Often those radio transmissions are compressed, and sent as a burst transmission lasting fractions of a second. Which makes tracing the transmission more difficult.

7. Joe_Hall

Joe_Hall I drink Scotch and I write things

As someone who does copious video conferences in the military (U.S. Army), it is not customary to salute at the beginning, but it is at the closing of the meeting. Usually the beginning is either the higher headquarters commander or hosting officer (executive or operations) starting the meeting, at the conclusion both the local higher HQ and the distant end video attendees stand at attention, the commander says the unit motto, something like "into the breach" and all the attendees both local and distant salute and say the counter-motto "secure the high ground". Mottos are different unit to unit. This is my experience, hope it helps.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023