Electronic self-publishing harming chances of being taken on by a 'real' publisher?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Noya Desherbanté, Nov 9, 2010.

1. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

Done what? Gone back and rewritten stuff? Or looked back and wish they could?

Not usually gone back to rewrite stuff, as there's not really a market for it (it's still a serious and good question, though, even if unintended and sometimes writers do this once they own a copyright again and if they're having reprints come out, particularly of short stories, but not a huge market for it that I know of).

I've heard a lot of people looking back wishing they wouldn't have been so quick to just care about getting published, and not where/how. The best reason I've seen for this are writers who realize if they'd just waited, they could have turned old stories into something that could sell really well. But instead, they were too eager to just get their 'name out there' and in the end they earned publishing credits that didn't really look all that good, and missed opportunities to make much more money from a story.

It can be seen kind of like an investment. If you're able to get something published now for peanuts, or wait 5 years for a shot at it being published in a meaningful market or leading to a book deal, what do you want? To start getting your name out there now? Which can help? Or saving all your work until you're able to get the most out of it?

For my goals, I'm personally waiting. I don't want to be published at all unless it's the semi-elite tip of the ice berg where I'll actually be seen and not submerged and drowning under the surface where I'll be easily forgotten.