1. jedellion

jedellion Member

Ellie Quin

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by jedellion, Jan 17, 2013.

Thoroughly enjoyable.

Many years ago I used to read a British comic called 2000AD, home of Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog and co. One of the comic strips I most enjoyed was ‘The Ballad of Halo Jones’ the story of an ordinary girl who wants to ‘get out’. It was written by Alan (Watchmen, V for Vendetta, From Hell) Moore as was enchanting. Totally different to most of the stories in 2000AD at the time and I loved it. I kinda fell in love with Halo Jones a little bit.

Eventually I grew up and started reading Heinlein, Niven, Clarke and all the other sci-fi greats.

Now, in my 40’s I have kids of my own and my eldest is a Time Riders fan. I like to read some of the books my kids read so we can talk about them. I loved the Time Riders., so when I found out Alex Scarrow wrote more adult books I had to try them out. It is fair to say I am a Scarrow fan.

Then came Ellie Quin.

I bought the first instalment yesterday. I just finished reading the third, and I am gutted I am going to have to wait for the next part.
    First the inevitable comparison.
    Yes, Ellie Quin is a similar concept to Halo Jones. The universe is similar, the themes are similar, the fact Ellie meets a young confident woman to help her and inspire her. A lot of it feels similar. But that’s about it. In the same way that Max begins his journey in Starman Jones (Heinlein), or Paksennarion leaves her home in Sheepfarmer’s Daighter (Elizabeth Moon). But once her journey begins things are different. Her journey is unique. Sometimes funny, a little scary in places, alien and yet humorously familiar.

What compels me to write this the most is the joy I felt reading this book. ( I am considering this one book, split up) It was like reading one of those old classic sci-fi stories again. Ellie is so endearing as a character, you instantly love her. Her friends are distinct character with their own voices.
    There is a sinister sub plot (this is Alex Scarrow after all). To be honest, this whole B-Plot is, to me, unnecessary. The fact that Ellie’s need to expand and grow is genetically coded takes something away from her spirit. I am hoping, as is being suggested, that Ellie is outgrowing her genes.

Then there is the ‘strategy’

I totally understand Mr Scarrow wants to make money. I am an aspiring writer myself and ‘get’ that. But I find the 1.99 an episode slightly over-priced. I now have three sections, which is around the size of a decent novel., and I have paid around 6 pounds. Not bad I suppose, but with it being kindle, I would have liked it to be a little cheaper.
    But the simple fact is I have found my iPad hard to put down in the last 24 hours.

Sheer unadulterated reading enjoyment.

Okay this is not ‘Literature’ this is fun. It is written in an easy style, you are drawn in so quickly.

I can’t wait for more.