1. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Epicosity

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by colorthemap, Aug 13, 2011.

Simple,(**** I sound like an ****) how can one write to make their writing epic, something to remember.

I know epic last words and such can be helpful. But how else?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Write well.

General questrion, general answer.

3. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

It's something you can only hope for, not strive for with writing I think.

I'd say keep writing. In the end, they'll be the judge of whether it was epic or not.

4. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Wonderful responses, and I guess they are true

5. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

One answer I got off Star Trek (My font of all wisdom), which I'll adapt for this.

Don't worry about writing an epic book, just write the best book you can and let history decide if it is to become epic.

Cheers.

6. JeffS65

JeffS65 New Member

You want to write an epic book. It appears you don't want, so much, to just write a story. Write what you enjoy. Epic will decide for itself if it is epic. Don't get caught up in making the greatest thing ever, if it's not in you, you will do nothing but be unhappy because you did not achieve the grand epic story.

Write what naturally comes out of you and when it's done well, be happy about it. If it's grand or epic, others will decide that for you.

7. Lightman

Lightman Active Member

If you mean epic as in "totally awesome man," as Cogito said, write well. If you actually want to write an epic, then, in the words of wikipeida:

"An epic is traditionally a genre of poetry, known as epic poetry.[1] However in modern terms, epic is often extended to other art forms, such as novels, plays and films,[1] where the story is centered on heroic characters, and the action takes place on a grand scale, just as in epic poetry. Epics in this sense are majestic depictions that capture impressive struggles, such as stories of war, adventures, and other efforts of great scope and size over long periods of time.[2] The real life stories of heroic figures have also been referred to as being epic. Examples of notable epics include Ernest Shackleton's exploration adventures in Antarctica and historical novels such as War and Peace."