1. orange

orange New Member

The Golden Notebook

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by orange, Jul 7, 2010.

I'm about 100 pages into The Golden Notebook, by Doris Lessing. I was really excited to read it, because it's supposed to be amazing and one of those change-your-way-of-looking-at-the-world books. But... I can't really get into it. Maybe it just doesn't jive with me, maybe I'm in the wrong mood, maybe I'm spending too much time in The Review Room, because all I can see are the mistakes. Has anybody read it and did you love it or hate it?

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I haven't read it but my mom did and she liked it. I've also heard good things about it from critics. But I'll have to add it to my [long] list of books I want to read over the summer.

Also, what do you mean when you say you see a lot of mistakes?

3. orange

orange New Member

It sounds silly, but I end up going through it as though I were critiquing a short story someone wrote, or something. I keep seeing things I wish were written differently, or that I feel could have been expressed better. It's driving me nuts! However, in the last 100 or so pages the book has gotten better, which pleases me.

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I sometimes do that as well. I do occasionally find things I would have changed here and there, but it's hard to imagine making those changes without changing the writer's voice and style.