ex smokers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by erebh, Jun 21, 2013.

1. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Omg, that's horrible! Although, they haven't mentioned Evian so perhaps that one is clean? I hope so. I don't buy Volvic and the rest, not keen on the taste, interestingly.

Nah, lol, chopstick because it's easy to stir a litre jug with. But you can use a long knife or a metallic kebab stick, it makes no difference.

I have a 14 day detox program I could send you if would like. It's yoga related so it helps to do some kriyas and meditation daily as well. You can follow it for a week, it'll still be helpful. And also, there's an interesting book called 'Clean' by Dr Alejandro Junger. His detox lasts 3 weeks, but he offers a lot of good advice in how to make healthier choices and keep yourself healthy.

1 person likes this.
  2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Never mind warnings on cigarette packets. Any young person who is thinking of taking up smoking should read THIS thread!

I have never smoked (not even a single one) in my entire life, but my parents did. Smoking killed my dad (heart attack brought on by emphysema, brought on by smoking), my mother in law, and would probably have killed my husband. EXCEPT ...he quit! About 15 years ago. Shortly after his mother died of lung cancer he started smoking only outdoors. Then he got fed up with that and just quit. He'd been a 60-a-day smoker for many years. He said he spent a week with real lit cigarettes, but didn't inhale. Then he switched to the fake cigarettes with capsules in them. Spent a week or so with them. Then he pretended to smoke them without any capsules. Then when that began to look and feel silly, he just stopped altogether.

He'd tried stopping before, and actually did for about a 2-year period, but then started up again. However, this time he says it's a lot different. The first time around he was occasionally attracted to the idea of smoking. Now he HATES it ...so much that he'll cross to the other side of the street if someone is walking and smoking ahead of him. Since the ban on smoking in restaurants, bars and other public places has come into force, he now finds it intolerable being in any kind of smoke or even smelling smoke on somebody.

Since he's developed this antipathy, and has sustained his non-smoking life for 15 years (last March) I think he's finally cured. But what a palaver.

One of the best things that has ever happened in my lifetime was the smoking ban. Now I can go to places I never really could before, enjoy a meal out without somebody honking smoke into my face, can ride a bus or train, go to a movie, contemplate going to a bar, etc. All those years I was made to feel like an outcast for NOT smoking are coming home to roost. I feel sorry for people who want to quit and find it difficult, but by god, I feel GREAT!!! And I make no apologies for feeling that way at all.

3. GoodTweetyBird

GoodTweetyBird New Member

I smoked for over 20 and have been off 25+. It took months to feel much better. Funny thing is I have a 65 year old friend who isvery slim and trim but smokes at least two packs a day. He can out walk me any day. As I remember I didn't wait for any length of time before I started walking, just built up a half mile a day till I got to 6 miles.

Worst thing I did was go to a bar a few months later. Beer in one hand, and before the night was over, cig in the other.

Quitting was easy though, just had to wait till I was sick again. Sick in bed with pneumonia for 4 days without a smoke. Then I thought I felt up to having one. The drainage still going down my throat took on the flavor of a wet ashtray. So I chain smoked 3 more and got bowl hugging sick. No more smokes.

jh

4. Lisztomania

Lisztomania New Member

I smoked about 12 a day for a year and half then quit. Took me a few months to fully be able to skateboard with out running out of breathe so fast.

5. killbill

killbill Member

Guys I think I finally overcame the initial hardship of quiting. I am no longer counting my smoke free days, I am not thinking about smoking when I am busy, and surprise! surprise! Yesterday I went to pick up grossary and buying cigarettes didn't even cross my mind. Usually the first thing I buy would be cigarettes.

6. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

Congrats! Beware, though. When I quit a couple of years ago, I thought after a month it was over. Four months after quitting the urges to smoke were stronger than ever. Don't let down your guard

7. killbill

killbill Member

Okay. I'll let my guard down. Thanks.

8. Garball

Decided to put down the smokes myself. Just wanted to see how everybody else has fared

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  9. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Hardest thing I've ever done, but also the best thing I've ever done!

10. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

I quit October of last year thanks to Ecigs. Unfortunately I am back on three packs a day of L&M 100's :( I know I should quit again too since I am seeing what smoking does to a person through one of my closest friends who is suffering from emphysema and pulmonary fibrosis due to 25+ years of smoking two packs a day.

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I quit about 35 years ago. But I never smoked cigarettes, I smoked cigars and pipes. Inhaled.

I quit cold. Just stopped. Within a couple months I noticed that food tasted better, I was feeling more alert and energetic, just felt better all around. I was never really even tempted to start again, other than a wistful moment now and then after catching a familiar whiff of a favorite pipe tobacco.

12. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

I had been quit for as long as five years, then after my divorce and going no where, I said screw it and started back up. I'm at 1 pk/day and I just don't gas.

Life doesn't have a happy ending. Everybody dies. The best you can hope for is to leave something behind that outlasts you and affects the world long after you're dead.

Alesia likes this.
  13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i quit 42 years ago, after the birth of kid #6 [had 7]... and not by choice, but am happy to have found a cure...

what was the cure, you may ask?

well, i smoked since age 14, when i worked at an 'adult' summer job in a hospital, taking over various jobs while the 'real' workers were on their 2 week vacations... wanting to not be seen as a 'kid' i took up smoking with the grownups [yeah, stupid!... but who here wasn't stupid in some ways at 14?]...

and i smoked not a lot, but when 'out' [couldn't get away with it at home, though my parents were smokers] and especially when drinking, since cigs go with booze, right!?... gotta be doing something with the hand that isn't holding the glass, after all... plus, i like being 'sophisticated' and all the sophisticated movie stars/characters did...

but...

every time i got pregnant [which was 5 times in less than the first 5 years of marriage #1], i knew it as soon as hubby lit up when he was 'done' since just the smell of smoke made me gag for the whole 9 months...

and then...

the first time, i'm lying there on the delivery table and i'm not thinking 'i want to see my baby'... nope... it's 'i want a cigarette!'... and back i went to being able to smoke... till the next time i gagged when hubby lit up...

that continued to be the norm for each of the next 4 pregnancies...

till...

#6... and, the gods in the universe taking pity on me [or trying to keep cancer from creating 6 orphans], i was shocked after all the birthing mess was over, to find i still couldn't stand smoke from any kind of 'smoking' material... and haven't been able to in the 42 years since, so it was a total cure!

so... a proven cure for smoking is to just give birth to 6 kids!

is any smoker out there desperate enough to quit that you'd try this cure? :rolleyes:

14. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

Quitting takes a lot longer than a few weeks. So does getting physically fit. Even if you had never smoked and not exercised much in that past few years, you'd find it difficult to get fully fit in that short of a time. It just isn't that easy. My only advice is to make it a priority and to be consistent. No excuses as to why you can't get your workout in. And of course, don't smoke for any reason what so ever. There is a bazillion books on getting and staying fit. Chris Crowley's Younger Next Year, is one of the best overall books on this topic. It's for people moving on in years.

15. Garball

Three months in cold turkey. House sitting for somebody with a hot tub. I have bubbles, a cocktail, an no smoke. I found a Macanudo in a drawer, but what I really wanted was a Camel or Lucky.

I did not light the Mac

16. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

This is actually the 1 year anniversary of my quitting. Though it's actually been about nine months since my last cigarette.

It's not out of my life, I smoke a pipe now. It's really the difference between beer and orange juice, but I'm still absorbing nicotine.