Eximius Coventry 2.0

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Earphone, Mar 6, 2012.

1. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

Ivanna Testarossa

"You'll get your answers." Dirk said, "But first we'll need a more secure place to talk."

Just as they were about to walk away, his phone rang. In typical Dirk fashion, he angrily answered it. Ivanna could only hear Dirk’s half of the conversation, but she listened closely, with her arms crossed in frustration.

"What?... What!?" Dirk said, seemingly surprised by what he was hearing. He moved away from Ivanna and the other girl. Ivanna moved a few steps closer, refusing to stop even when he glared at her. "They must have sent some higher levels…" he said to whomever was on the other end. "This is getting out of hand. Where was the girl?"

The mute girl? Ivan thought. For a brief moment, she actually seemed concerned. I knew I shouldn’t have left her. Stupid kid can’t look after herself for five minutes?

"Did Trace see the girl?" Dirk barked into the phone. "Did Trace know what kind? … Were any wobbly?”

Wobbly? Just when Ivan thought she was beginning to grasp the gist of their conversation it got weird.

Dirk finished his call and turned to face the two women. "You." He pointed at the girl who’d magically dug the pit. "Fill up that hole then come with me. We're going ghost hunting."

The girl filled in the hole, doing the same thing she’d done before, only in reverse. Even the grass looked perfectly undisturbed. When she was done, they began to walk. Dirk led, while Ivan brought up the rear. She liked to pretend she didn't care or didn't want to come along, but she was secretly thinking about the mute girl, the strange trailer, and the terrifying scream she'd heard earlier. I shouldn't have left her, she thought.

Meanwhile, the rich girl was still absorbing random obects as they walked. She was either a kleptomaniac or the human equivalent of a black hole. Probably a little of both, Ivan thought.

"So, what's your name," she asked Dirk. "You seem to know a lot about me. More than a lot of people do. And who were those guys that we buried? Friends of yours?"

”Those men were gray suits,” Ivanna said with a little more attitude than was appropriate. They're gray suits, idiot. Don't you know anything!? she thought. She liked butting in… especially when it pissed off pampered little rich girls. “If you keep acting like a human vacuum cleaner, you’re going to see a lot more of them,” she added as the girl absorbed another stone.

“By the way, he’s Dirk and I’m None-of-Your-Business. If he were one of them, I’d have killed him by now. So, no, they aren’t friends of his. And they're no friends of mine either,” she glared at the girl for a moment. "Our mutual enemy is the only reason I'm here, when I could be doing much better things."

2. BlizzardHarlequin

BlizzardHarlequin New Member

Adelaide Reynolds

The second that Adelaide and her new found friend Avery entered the room, a sudden warmth came over her. The apartment had a sense of comfort and safety, like it was away from the whole world outside. Avery plopped down on one of the couches, her head resting against a soft looking cushion. Adelaide smiled a bit before searching her surroundings.

Decorative paintings hung on the walls, the picture frames well worn and slightly cracked. A small cat sat in the corner of the room, grooming herself with a small paw near a beautiful wicker rocking chair, it's charming old fashioned feel drawing Adelaide nearer to it. A small fabric lamp was placed on top of an oak dresser with a small dish holding many different sweets placed beside it. Rebecca's head craned around a corner of her small kitchen, her cheeks blaring a bright red color.
    “Would either of you like something to eat or drink?” Rebecca beamed with a small curl of hair across her forehead. Poor girl. She was so accustomed to waiting on people in Mac's that she carried her friendly attitude to her house. “Uh, sure.. If you don't mind, a drink would be nice. If you have anything high in acid that would be even better.” Avery replied with a casual smile after tapping the small watch on her wrist with her finger. It was some sort of monitor that beeped every so often like some sort of messager. It was quirky to say the least and Adelaide found it quite amusing.

Adelaide shook her head to Rebecca. Rebecca disappeared around the corner again with a slight nod, her heels clacking behind her. Adelaide wasn't too used to such kindness and she probably would never get used to it.

Adelaide's family had been quite wealthy and they lived in a higher class apartment in London. Her father was a well-established business man and her mother was an elegant and fresh-faced woman barely ready for such a change.. the change that shocked Adelaide and rid her family of their special home, jobs and extravagant tidbits. The business her father worked at had become the hub of produce and trade but for strange reasons unknown to her, it became bankrupt and her father was cast from the offices. She wondered what had happened that made her usually smiling father so glum and solemn. When he finally told her she was shocked to say the least, her mother almost pale as a ghost. They packed their bags later that week when their home would be taken from them if they didn't pay their ever growing bills. And here she was, in Coventry, living in the shadier part of town in a small cramped house with her mother taken ill, her father never being there and the weight of this new found ability resting on her shoulders, literally.

Adelaide looked at the shawl that wrapped itself around her shoulders and inspected it closely. It didn't seem out of place or touched, it just sat there in all it's fabricated glory. Adelaide frowned and furrowed her brow as she wanted to know what made this piece of cloth tick. Before deciding to hold it, she looked to see what Avery was doing. She had jumped a bit when she realized she was sipping her orange juice with Rebecca walking around behind the couch dusting some cat hairs off a cushion. They seemed to not notice so Adelaide went straight to it.

Clutching the small piece of fabric with unsteady hands, she closed her eyes and thought to herself. She thought of the beach and how her parents would go there every weekend when she was younger. She thought of the warm sand beneath her feet and how she loved to make sandcastles with her father as her mother waded in and out of the giant sea splayed out in front of them. She saw herself as a child, her braided hair whipping around in the strong currents, her father's charming smile as he reached out and gave her a firm hug. Then suddenly, a cloudy haze began to fill her mind like the foam against the rocks at that beach. She could see her mother's form swaying about in the distance, her shadow casting a dark hue. She turned to her side to look at her father but saw that same shadow of her mother with darkened crevices of purple and navy for eyes. She broke from the embrace and grabbed the small piece of fabric beside her and broke off into a run. The sand was an illuminated white and the skies around her casted an eerie orange glow with a slightly yellow tint. This memory wasn't fun at all, it was like a nightmare and Adelaide couldn't shrug it off. She could hear Rebecca's cries in the distance and Avery calling out to her. She stared up into the sky and saw their faces forming through the wispy clouds, mouths gaping with wide-eyed surprise; as she was entranced by their apparition form she hadn't realized the gaping sea in front of her. She slid off the rocks, the wind dancing around her as she was being swallowed by the dark abyss.

When she finally opened her eyes, she realized that the room that they were standing in had changed itself completely. Rebecca and Avery had hands clasped over their mouths and looked around their surroundings. It's like they had been transported to some otherworldly place. "What.. what have I done? I'm so sorry girls! I didn't mean for this to happen.. I was just so entranced by the daydream that I was caught off guard and- Adelaide stammered over her words but was calmed down by Rebecca who took her hands.
    "Dear, you shouldn't worry yourself. This is just some sort of vision. All we have to do is walk through this vision and-" A scream escaped Adelaide's throat and she was splashed back into the world. She was sprawled out on the carpet, drenched in sweat with her friends standing over her. They looked just as surprised as Adelaide did. But Adelaide felt weird. She couldn't move nor she couldn't even speak, she just stared up at them, trying to extend her hands out. But she had no hands. Nor did she have a body, she was just some sort of essence hovering about with a conscience. Avery finally spoke, "Rebecca.. she's.. she's a carpet. How does this even happen? Does it have to do with her ability? Can you hear us, Adelaide?" Avery waved her hands over her. Adelaide just shifted a little bit from the floor and whipped herself up. "Well, this is interesting isn't it? I'm a carpet and you two didn't even snap me out of it." Adelaide chuckled as she hopped a bit towards them. Rebecca found it hysterical, wiping tears from her eyes with a loud laugh. Avery just stared in fascination, reaching her hand out and poking Adelaide's furry carpet form. "Why am I always stuck with the silly powers? Not that I've, uh.. ever done this before." Adelaide giggled flopping herself over the armchair. "So, you're like uh.. a shapeshifter; like in those comic books." Avery giggled a bit as well.

The three girls just sat there laughing at each other until a strange knock came from outside. That same voice uttered from outside.. the same voice of the grey suit that had followed them before. Adelaide gasped and whispered to Avery and Rebecca, "Quick, hold onto me. I'm going to help you morph." she mumbled. Both girls complied and held onto her, their forms changing again. Rebecca's essence faded first and quickly snatched itself into the rocking chair. She held in a small chuckle. Avery faded next and she drifted towards a photograph of Rebecca and her cat on the dresser. Adelaide jumped out of the armchair and plopped herself down onto the ground with a small thud. All three girls giggled a bit before hushing themselves.. the grey-suit suddenly burst into the room as the door swung back with a crack against the wall..

3. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

“Uh, sure.. If you don't mind, a drink would be nice. If you have anything high in acid that would be even better.” Avery replied to Rebecca's question. Adelaide shook her head and Rebecca opened the door of her freezer knowing she had been saving some orange juice for a special occasion. And this definetly was a special occasion. She made the orange juice up and handed the glass to Avery who immediatly started drinking. Rebecca feeling self-concious started wiping the cat hair off the furniture. Here they were in her home and there was cat hair everywhere.

Suddenly she found herself on a beach with Avery and Adelaide. The vision was so real, so serene, she could almost smell the salt air. She covered her mouth in awe. It was so beautiful. "What.. what have I done? I'm so sorry girls! I didn't mean for this to happen.. I was just so entranced by the daydream that I was caught off guard and- Adelaide suddenly began explaining, obviously on the verge of panic. Rebecca walked up to her and took her hands saying,
    "Dear, you shouldn't worry yourself. This is just some sort of vision. All we have to do is walk through this vision and-" suddenly they were back in her living room. She looked around wondering if she was the only one who had seen the vision when Avery said,

"Rebecca.. she's.. she's a carpet. How does this even happen? Does it have to do with her ability? Can you hear us, Adelaide?" Avery waved her hands over the new addition to her carpet. A pretty rug lay there, then it shifted, jumped a little and managed to whip itself into a slightly standing position.
    "Well, this is interesting isn't it? I'm a carpet and you two didn't even snap me out of it." The carpet said, with Adelaide's voice. Rebecca wondered how a carpet, well Adelaide as a carpet, could talk without a mouth. The more she thought about it the funny it got until she was laughing so hard she was crying.

Avery simply stared in fascination and reached out her hand to poke Adelaide's furry carpet form. "Why am I always stuck with the silly powers? Not that I've, uh.. ever done this before." Adelaide giggled as she flopped herself over the armchair.
    "So, you're like uh.. a shapeshifter; like in those comic books." Avery giggled a bit as well.

Just when Rebecca thought things couldn't get more awesome a familiar voice spoke outside her door. It sounded like the grey suit that had chased them nearly 5 blocks a couple hours earlier. No! Rebecca thought. This is my home! They can't be here! This is supposed to be a safe place. Adelaide gasped and whispered, "Quick, hold onto me. I'm going to help you morph."

Morph? Rebecca thought as she lay a hand on Adelaide's shoulder, but before she could ask about it she found herself turning into a cushion that landed on her rocking chair. Avery turned into something that looked like dust and floated up to her mantel that had some of her favorite pictures on it and Adelaide plopped herself back down on the floor as the rug. A cushion. I am a cushion. Rebecca thought, then laughed. However she stifled her laugh, as the grey suit broke her door's lock and burst into the room. Another grey suit was behind him and they came in looking ready for anything. When they didn't see the girl's in the living room they began walking throughtout the apartment not caring if they knocked over anything or broke something precious. Her only picture of her mother and father fell off the wall as they walked by, the frame shattering into a bunch of little peices. How dare they! They were in her home! Searching through her drawers, breaking things and caring about nothing but catching them for whatever reason.

Rebecca rarely got angry. But this was one of those times. Stalking three girls who wanted nothing more than to be left alone, invading her private residence and disrespecting everything she held dear was totally unacceptable. The two gray suits finally gave up and walked towards the door. One of them spoke on a cell phone, "Looks like we missed them by moments... no, I have no idea where they have gone." Rebecca forced Adelaide's hold on her form to break and returned to her normal self, except she was beginning to glow blue. Her normally smiling face was now in a feirce frown and if she had seen herself in a mirror she would have scared herself. Energy began to build up around her and it sounded like an angry wind swirling as her hands built up more and more energy.

The two grey suits turned around at the sound, their jaws going slack at the sight. "You've stalked me at work, chased me and friends, and have dared to break into my home even when we have done nothing to you. No more! Go back to where you came from and leave us alone!!" Rebecca said, surprised at the power in her own voice. The older of the grey suits pulled a gun out of a hidden holster and raised it, aiming it at her. Rebecca wasn't quite sure what happened next. The force of energy she had been building up suddenly shot out of her hands throwing the two grey suits against the wall. They slumped down, unconscience. Maybe even dead. She couldn't tell. The blue aura faded and the room got errily quiet. Rebecca felt so exhausted her knees gave way and she collapsed to the floor. What did I just do?

4. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

Cheyenne Fear

Cheyenne lay back into the pile of trash, as the man continued pushing the cart, and sniffled a little bit. She wiped her eyes, then sat glumly in the cart, the words still repeating. She wished it would stop, but she didn't know how to make it, the words kept revolving in her mind.

"A stranger... and a friend... Marty." The man finally spoke, with a hint of uncertainty. "It's not safe," He said, pointing to the odd layer of air that was buzzing around her body, "Keep it secret."

Friend? Stranger?

*A stranger... and a friend... Marty.*

Cheyenne looked up, certain that the man named Marty had repeated himself.

*It's not safe, keep it secret.*

Once again, the sound was emitting from her body, only now the air was thicker and drew out further with each word. It was imitating Marty's voice perfectly. Cheyenne placed her hands over her ears, trying to block out the repetitive noises, but the air merely shot into her head through her palms. She swayed, dizzy from the vibrations, then curled into a ball, staring at the bearded man.

*Why is this happening?* Even as the thought entered her mind, a new voice repeated it. It was a pitiful, slow, child-like voice, not unlike the one that Cheyenne had always applied to her thoughts. She froze, and the buzzing air around her stopped. She had "spoken". It had been her voice, her real inner voice. She looked at Marty. She wished she could have smiled over this event, wished her parents could have heard. Now, she could only frown.

She looked around the alley, and saw that they were heading toward a more populated area.

*Where are you taking me?*

----

Dirk I Reynolds

----

Dirk was glad that Kami was so obliging. She had refilled the grave perfectly, then followed him from the yard. Good. No delays.

"So, what's your name," She suddenly asked, causing Dirk to roll his eyes up to the heavens, and stop in his tracks. "You seem to know a lot about me. More than a lot of people do. And who were those guys that we buried? Friends of your's?"

Dirk remained motionless, as a breeze blew through the neighborhood. "So, your name?" Kami repeated.

”Those men were gray suits,” Ivanna, who had been following up the rear suddenly butted in, “If you keep acting like a human vacuum cleaner, you’re going to see a lot more of them,”

Dirk peered at Kami from the corner of his eye, as she absorbed a stone into her hand.

“By the way, he’s Dirk and I’m None-of-Your-Business. If he were one of them, I’d have killed him by now. So, no, they aren’t friends of his. And they're no friends of mine either,” Ivanna continued, "Our mutual enemy is the only reason I'm here, when I could be doing much better things."

Dirk turned, and narrowed his eyes at Ivanna. "Thank you," He said snidely, turning to continue walking, "Now that we've all been introduced and are good friends, let's have no more interruptions." He pulled his cellphone from his pocket, and began dialing, "I promised an explanation, and I intend to give you one, but there's something we have to do first, okay?" He put the phone to his ear.

"Dirk?"

"Trace?" Dirk said into the phone, "I need you to find Cheyenne Fear."

"Gary's daughter?"

"Yes. I think Martin Wheeler might be behind this."

"Martin? But he's one of us."

"We've never been able to locate him, and we still don't know his ability, or even if he's on our side."

"What do you think he could have done?"

"At the very least, he may have taken the girl."

"But how do you know it's him, if we've never caught him?"

"Because he has a cart."

There was silence.

"I'll put the phone on speaker and give it to Arnold, I need both hands to locate."

Dirk let a rare grin stretch across his face, which only made him look evil because of his low brow.

We've got him. We have. We'll finally know who Martin is.

5. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Avery Funkhouser

Adelaide had morphed her into dust. How was that even possible? Avery was curious to know how Adelaide’s power worked. She had seen shape shifting in comic books, and teased about on television shows. Although, the only way shape shifters were portrayed in those fictional works, was using their abilities to turn into people or animals. Adelaide had turned into a rug, an ordinary, inanimate object. Avery’s brain throbbed with thoughts that she knew weren’t worth analyzing over. Sometimes it was better to not understand. There were more serious things to worry about at the moment, anyway.

Avery watched the familiar gray suited man and one of his buddies barge into the apartment, with faces blood red with anger and determination. They began to search through the living room, and Avery cringed when their large shoulders brushed by the mantelpiece. After they didn't find the girls in the first room, they began to search the other rooms. Avery heard glass shatter, and the clunking noise of wooden drawers being opened. It seemed that if they couldn't find the girls, the men would get their revenge instead.

Finally, the two gray suits decided to quit and Avery saw them head towards the front door. One of the men barked into his cell phone, "Looks like we missed them by moments... no, I have no idea where they have gone."

Her heart pounded faster, as the two men got nearer to the door. It would be only seconds before the three of them could come out of hiding. Avery could barely stand the wait. Rebecca must have been just as eager. Avery gasped when she saw Rebecca in human form, standing right the middle of the living room. What are you doing?! Avery wanted to scream. Did she not realize those guys could kill her? Avery snapped her eyes shut, not wanting to see her first real friend die. This couldn't be happening.

A loud wail buzzed in her ears, like the sound of 200 mph winds. The bold voice of a woman was somehow able to cut through the deafening noise.

"You've stalked me at work, chased me and friends, and have dared to break into my home even when we have done nothing to you. No more! Go back to where you came from and leave us alone!!"

Avery opened her eyes to a blue burst of energy escaping from Rebecca, throwing the two gray suited men across the room. The bodies of the gray suits lay against the wall unconscious, but all Avery saw was Rebecca collapsing to the floor.

From her place on the mantel, Avery puckered her lips, quickly blowing out air in the attempt to detach herself from Adelaide's power. She coughed as a puff of dust particles flew up around her, and her feet landed on the floor with a soft thud. Avery ran over to Rebecca, not caring if she stepped on the wreckage. Her only thought was Rebecca; she had to be alive. She hovered over Rebecca's body, grabbing for her wrist. Avery let out the breath she was holding, when she felt the flutter of a heart beat. It was faint, but gradually grew faster.

"Rebecca, are you okay? Can you hear me?" Avery choked out the words. Since her adrenaline had taken over, she hadn't noticed the tears streaming down her face.

6. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Kami DeSoras

Kami was getting more annoyed at miss "none of your business" by the second. Kami had simply asked for a few answers, and it seemed like this woman wanted the same thing, but obviously she thought pretty highly of herself. Actually, now that Kami thought about it, she was a pretty big hypocrite, saying stuff about Kami's lifestyle but acting like she was the best thing in the world.

The guy, Dirk, was on the phone, again. He was talking to someone about a cart, and a girl, and someone named Martin. Honestly, she was getting annoyed at Dirk too. All she wanted was to know what was going on. And of course, the woman still wouldn't shut up.

"You know," Kami said, turning around. "I didn't see you use any powers. Maybe you DO have better things to do. Why don't you go do that and leave us be? We're obviously wasting precious seconds of your oh-so-important life." She turned around, and walked towards the Dirk guy. "And you. I want some answers, now."

She touched the phone he had up to his ear, and it suddenly turned off, as she drained the energy from the battery. "I understand your call is important," she said as he whirled around to face her. "But I'd like to know exactly why my life was just in danger, and why I buried three bodies in my yard."

7. Mjolnir

Mjolnir New Member

Martin Wheeler

The wheels on the shopping cart squeaked incessantly as they rolled along the back alleys of West Coventry. Marty glanced down at his young passenger. Now that the adrenaline was wearing off, he began to question his motives for rescuing her. The Grey Suits wanted her and badly enough to risk a scene in a public area. Every minute he stayed with her he was just putting himself in danger. Besides what could he possibly do for her? He barely even remembered his own childhood, if you could even call it that. Unbidden the memory of his mother came to his mind. He could still recall the look of horror on her face the day his power manifested. He heard her scream and the fury in his father's voice as he chased his own son from the only home he had ever known. Marty shook his head to clear it, that had nothing to do with anything. There was no point in thinking about it now. Marty looked down at the girl whose name he still didn't know. Her eyes were red and watery.

*Why is this happening?*

The voice emanating from the girl this time was different. It didn't sound cold and mechanical like it had before, but scared and child-like, like a real voice. Her real voice. Well that was something. Marty manged a smile, but he had no idea how to answer the question. Talking to people had never been his strong suit and he was horribly out of practice now. After a while he gave up trying. it was giving him a headache. Instead he just kept smiling and pushing the cart. They were almost to the Speedy Trip and then... And then what? Marty's face faded into a frown as he realized he had no plan after that. What was he supposed to do. For an instant he thought about taking the girl under his wing. He had never had a protege before. But of course, that could never work for the same reason he could never have friends, or allies, or even acquaintances. Yet somehow, he had managed to find an enemy in the Grey Suits. It hardly seemed fair.

*Where are you taking me?* The girl asked, breaking Marty from his thoughts once again.

"Nowhere." He told her with a wink. "Nowhere is always safer than somewhere. As long as you're somewhere, people can find you if they look everywhere, but when you're nowhere you aren't really anywhere. Much harder to find." He had never vocalized this logic before. Somehow it sounded much more clever in his head, but the philosophy had kept him hidden this long, here had to be some truth in it. They continued on in awkward silence after that. Marty was relieved when the Speedy Trip finally came into view. He wheeled the cart behind the building and pulled it to a stop. This time they were alone. "Do you have anywhere you can go?" He asked the girl, hopefully. They should be out of danger, but he really didn't want to just leave her on the street. Before she had a chance to reply the silence was broken by the chilling click of a gun being cocked.

"Get your hands up and step away from the girl."

The voice was unfamiliar, but Marty could guess what color suit the speaker was wearing. He turned around and had to fight the urge to bolt as panic shot through his body. Not one, but two Grey suits stood before him, with guns aimed at his chest. "No good deed goes unpunished," Marty muttered as he raised his arms over his head.

"Alright, what should we do with this guy," The first Grey Suit asked his partner. "He sure doesn't look like much... Holy shit! Look at his hands!"

Marty balled his fists instinctively, but it was too late, they had already seen.

The second man was a little slower to catch on. "So, what? He's missing two fingers," He said in a bored voice, then his eyes widened as realization settled in. "Wait, you're telling me this is the guy everyone's supposed to keep an eye out for? This is Ol' Eight Fingers himself?"

"Of course it is," The first Grey Suit said with a grin. "Why else would he be helping the girl? He's looking out for his own kind. Can you imagine the bonus we'll get for bringing both of them in at once? Quick, go bring the car around while I get the cuffs on him."

"Right." The second Grey Suit dashed off around the corner of the Speedy Trip and disappeared. His partner pulled a pair of metal hand-cuffs from his jacket pocket and began to advance on Marty, gun still pointed at his chest.

"You know, you could just forget you ever saw us," Marty offered, watching the man's hand draw closer. He wasn't going back, not ever.

The Grey Suit just laughed. "And why would I want to do that?" He sneered and reached out to snap on the cuffs.

"I never said you had a choice." Without thinking, Marty's hand was moving. He grabbed the Grey Suit by the wrist and held on tight. The man tried to wrench free, but it was too late. Marty's mind began to buzz as images flashed by in his head by the dozens. They were memories, but not his memories. The Grey Suit began to shake and the gun slipped from his fingers, but still Marty held on. Rage and fear coursed through him, blocking out everything else. A full minute passed before Marty released his grip and when he did the Grey Suit dropped to the ground like a sack of bricks. He lay there, staring straight ahead, drooling as his mouth tried desperately to form words he no longer knew.

With a sigh Marty ran back to the cart. "We have to go." He told the girl as he began running once again, pushing the cart along. They had found him. Even in the place he had always felt most safe, they had found him. It was time to change strategies then. If they expected him to be where he was, then he had to be somewhere he would never expect to find himself. With a nod he picked up his pace and turned the cart East, toward the rich side of town.

8. AnonyMouse

Ivanna Testarossa

Dirk’s eyes narrowed upon Ivanna. "Thank you," he said in a tone which wasn’t thankful at all. "Now that we've all been introduced and are good friends, let's have no more interruptions. I promised an explanation, and I intend to give you one, but there's something we have to do first, okay?" he said as he dialed a number and put his phone to his ear again. "Trace … I need you to find Cheyenne Fear," he said to the person on the other end.

Cheyenne Fear? Was that the girl she’d seen earlier? For once, Ivan just kept her mouth shut and listened. If that girl was in danger…

Dirk continued speaking on the phone as they walked. They were discussing Martin Wheeler, another person with abilities. And, apparently, his abilities made him hard to find. Dirk had said they were going ‘ghost hunting.’ Ivanna listened closely. That was the sort of person she needed. She always wanted to take the fight to the Gray Suits, but they always found her and struck back, forcing her to skip town and change her identity over and over again. She needed a way to strike at them and remain hidden at the same time. She needed a ghost.

While Dirk remained on the phone, Kami turned to Ivan. "You know, I didn't see you use any powers,” she said. “Maybe you DO have better things to do. Why don't you go do that and leave us be? We're obviously wasting precious seconds of your oh-so-important life."

Ivan just smirked, amused at the girl’s sudden anger. “Only you, sweetheart,” she murmured, but Kami's attention had already shifted. Dirk wasn’t wasting her time, even though Ivan didn’t like him much either. At least he had answers.

"And you. I want some answers, now," she said to Dirk before using her ability to kill his phone. "I understand your call is important, but I'd like to know exactly why my life was just in danger, and why I buried three bodies in my yard."

With her attention on Dirk, the girl didn’t even notice as Ivan pressed the blade of a crystal sword to her back. It was as clear as glass, but hard as diamond. Its sharp point grazed her spine. Ivan knew what this girl was capable of, so she kept her distance, letting the razor sharp blade bridge the space between them. Reach for me, and I’ll cut your arms off, she thought. And she was not kidding.

“I’ll be burying a fourth if you don’t shut your mouth and reactivate that phone. We don’t have time to stand here and pander to bratty little girls,” Ivan said. “And you,” she kept her eyes locked on Kami, but it was quite clear she was referring to Dirk now, “I hate to admit it, but the brat is right, you know. You can give us answers and talk on the phone at the same time. But we can't just stand here chatting while Cheyenne is in danger... not that I care or anything.”

9. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

Cheyenne Fear

"Nowhere." Marty said with a wink after some time, "Nowhere is always safer than somewhere. As long as you're somewhere, people can find you if they look everywhere, but when you're nowhere you aren't really anywhere. Much harder to find."

Cheyenne shook her head in confusion, as he pushed the cart behind a small gritty convenience store. Cheyenne made a move to get out of the cart, her legs were beginning to cramp; but the sound of a gun clicking stopped her.

"Get your hands up and step away from the girl."

Cheyenne turned her head slowly. There were two grey-suited men standing in the alley behind them, both pointing guns at Marty's chest. Cheyenne looked at the entrances to the alley, hoping someone would notice. This was a busy street. But she saw no one.

"No good deed goes unpunished," Marty muttered as he raised his arms over his head.

"Alright, what should we do with this guy," The first Grey Suit asked his partner. "He sure doesn't look like much... Holy shit! Look at his hands!"

Cheyenne absently turned to stare at Marty's hands. Even as he balled them into fists, the pinky-fingers of his gloves hung limp and empty.

"So, what? He's missing two fingers," Said the second man, whose eyes suddenly went wide, "Wait, you're telling me this is the guy everyone's supposed to keep an eye out for? This is Ol' Eight Fingers himself?"

Ol' Eight Fingers? What could that mean? Did they know Marty? He seemed as surprised and shocked, even scared, to see them as she was.

"Of course it is," The first Grey Suit said with a grin. "Why else would he be helping the girl? He's looking out for his own kind. Can you imagine the bonus we'll get for bringing both of them in at once? Quick, go bring the car around while I get the cuffs on him."

"Right." The second Grey Suit dashed off around the corner of the Speedy Trip and disappeared. His partner pulled a pair of metal hand-cuffs from his jacket pocket and began to advance on Marty, gun still pointed at his chest.

Cheyenne could only watch. She wanted to do something, wanted to help, but the air about her had disappeared and she didn't know how to get it back. She remembered the horrible sounds she'd heard in the trailer, had that been her? She somehow knew that even if it had been, she didn't have the strength to do it again.

"You know, you could just forget you ever saw us," Marty said suddenly. What did that mean?

"And why would I want to do that?" The man sneered, reaching out to cuff Marty.

"I never said you had a choice." In a flash, Marty had jumped forward, and grabbed the man's wrist. The man struggled, then began to writhe and shake. What was Marty doing?! When he finally let go, the man collapsed in a drooling heap, twitching and moving his mouth wordlessly.

Marty returned to the cart then, "We have to go." He said, pushing the cart again, and bringing it up to speed. Were people after him? Cheyenne wondered. They seemed to want her. And what had he done to that man? Had he killed him? Her legs gave a pang of discomfort, and Cheyenne motioned for Marty to stop the cart, which he ignored. Without thinking, Cheyenne tried to get out of the cart while it was moving, but lost her balance. She fell to the cement, skinning both knees, and scuffing both palms. She let out a silent whimper of pain, then got to her feet. She could see a man in the distance, wearing a grey suit, she ran to Marty's side. She'd need to stay with him, she didn't know where she was anymore. The houses were nicer, and the lawns better kept. She needed to warn him, needed to tell him.

*There's a man following!*

----

Dirk I Reynolds

----

"Dirk?"

"Arnold, tell me when Trace finds anything." Dirk said, shooing away Kami, who was trying to tell him something.

"Dirk, he says-" The phone suddenly went silent.

Dirk whirled around to find the girl with her hand out staring at him. "I understand your call is important," She said, "But I'd like to know exactly why my life was just in danger, and why I buried three bodies in my yard."

"What's wrong with you?!" Dirk barked, his temper rising to the breaking point, "I was-" He stopped. Ivanna had made a move, poking a crystal blade against Kami's back.

“I’ll be burying a fourth if you don’t shut your mouth and reactivate that phone. We don’t have time to stand here and pander to bratty little girls,” She hissed. “And you,” She added, keeping her eyes on the girl, “I hate to admit it, but the brat is right, you know. You can give us answers and talk on the phone at the same time. But we can't just stand here chatting while Cheyenne is in danger... not that I care or anything.”

A hand shot from Dirk's side, and arced around Kami, closing around the sword blade, and pulling it from Ivanna. As quickly as it had appeared, it had vanished, leaving the blade in Dirk's free hand. He threw it to the side, out of anyone's reach. As it hit the ground, it vanished. Dirk leaned in close, thrusting his chin out at the tattooed woman.

"Don't use your powers." He hissed, his voice so soft it was barely discernible, "Both of you. This is a watch community, there are cameras everywhere, do you understand?"

Thrusting his chin out even further, he shoved the dead phone back into his jacket, then pulled a second one out from a different pocket. He made to open it, but thought better of it.

"If you have to know now, you are being targeted for your ability. There's an organization out to get us, fuck knows why. They wear grey suits, travel in pairs, and all receive direction from one person. They always try to kidnap first, killing only if given no other alternative. Most all those taken end up being found dead in a ditch somewhere. No one knows what happens to the rest. My fellow Exceptionals and I are trying to figure this out, and stop it. We follow the grey suits, and study their movements. We also follow other Exceptionals and analyse their abilities. We try not to get involved with them, their lives are already messed up. We just try to protect them against the grey suits."

It was a hurried, iffy explanation at best. He'd merely been winging it, to sate Kami's insufferable curiosity. He glared unblinkingly at her, and moved an inch closer.

"Now. No. More. Interruptions." He flipped open the phone, then immediately closed it. There were two figures in the distance running toward them, one pushing a cart. Dirk flew past the Kami and Ivanna, and rushed toward the newcomers, taking note of their follower.

Take the grey suit, then be ready to stop Marty if he runs. Okay.

10. Love to Write

Rebecca Woods

Rebecca opened her eyes to see Avery leaning over her with tears streaming down her face. Ugh. I must have passed out. How embarrasing.
    Rebecca sat up and squinted at the headache that was now pounding in her skull. She couldn't tell if the headache was because of her disease or from the sudden release of energy. She turned her head and saw two grey suits lying unconcious on the floor next to the door. The wall was cracked where they had hit it. She got to her feet with Avery's help then said, "I'm alright. Just tired. We should leave before more of them come."

Avery and Adelaide nodded and Rebecca went into her room to pack some items not sure how long it would be before she could return. Her room was a disaster. Drawers and clothes on the floor, her few peices of jewlry scattered and a picture of her parents when they were first married laying inside a broken frame. Rebecca kneeled down and took the picture out of the frame glad that her gloves were protecting her hands from the glass. When she came back into the living room where Avery and Adelaide were waiting, she had a green long sleeved shirt and a pair of jeans on. Also a green pair of gloves which complimented the outfit. Her red hair was still in a ponytail minus the stubborn curl that hung the side of her forehead. Rebecca carried on her back a backpack with varies items in it. She went to the coffee table and opened a drawer, pulling out an extra vial of blood-clotting agent as well an extra syringe. Avery raised an eyebrow at the items but Rebecca figured she'd just have to explain what they were for later. She then picked up her house phone and dialed 911. In a moment an operator answered.
    "Hello, I'd like to report two mean looking men in grey suits breaking down the door of Apartment 5 on..." Rebecca related the address then hung up the phone before she had to get into details.

"Hopefully that will slow those guys down if they wake up. C'mon. We need to get someplace crowded...where we won't be spotted as easily." Rebecca stated. She held back the frown that desperatly wanted to appear. Her whole life was being shaken and thrown upside down. She didn't even know what to do about it. But the girls need her. Just like she needed them.
    "Where are you planning on going?" Adelaide asked.
    "In the richer part of town there is a park called Terrance Circle. We probably won't be bothered there. At least until tonight, but hopefully we will have a plan by then." Rebecca, Avery and Adelaide left her apartment and she locked the door behind them. When they reached the street Adelaide turned to them and said, "I am so glad I met you guys and I wish i could come with you but, my mom is sick. And I'm the only one around to take care of her. She's bound to be worried by now. I have to go. Hopefully I run into you guys again sometime."
    Rebecca nodded understandingly. "Be careful, Adelaide. There is bound to be more of those suits out there."
    Adelaide nodded then sprinted down the street towards her home.

Then it was just Rebecca and Avery. Together they walked briskly in the other direction towards the park hoping to run into answers along the way.

11. Mjolnir

Mjolnir New Member

Martin Wheeler

Everything seemed strange in the East side. The houses were nicer, the lawns actually green and the streets were lacking in the familiar spattering of garbage. Marty had spent very little time here, the area was strange to him. It would have been disconcerting under normal circumstances. Maybe coming here wasn't such a brilliant plan. He was considering turning around and heading back to familiar territory when the girl leaped from his cart and skidded onto the pavement. He pulled the cart up short, stunned. What was she thinking? She seemed unhurt and caught up to him quickly. Marty shook his head. If she'd wanted out that bad, she could have said so. Or could she? He gave her a closer look and noticed that the viscous air had vanished. Maybe she hadn't learned to control it yet.

*There's a man following!* The girl's voice cried out. It appeared her power was working again.

Marty's head snapped like a whip to look behind him. Sure enough, a grey suit was hot on their trail. Of course it was grey suit. Maybe the other one from the Speedy Trip. If so, and he had found his partner, he was likely to shoot first and ask questions later.
    "Bad day," Marty sighed, then turned to the girl. "Don't stop, run!" He started running again himself, but made sure to keep pace with his companion. He looked up the street ahead of them and groaned. More trouble. Three people were standing together, but as they drew close one of them, a man, broke off and started rushing towards them. Marty looked left and right frantically for a place to run, but there was nothing, no side-streets, no back alleys. Only the Grey Suit behind and the mad-man ahead. He couldn't take them both, and the Girl's power seemed a thin bet. He would have to take his chances with one or the other and only one wasn't wearing grey. Easy choice. He urged the girl faster and headed straight for the man running toward them, hoping he was a friend and not a foe. When they had closed the distance he pulled the cart up short placing it behind himself and the girl. It was a poor barrier against bullets, but beggars can't be choosers. He looked at the approaching man and gestured behind him to the Grey Suit. "Little help?" He said, unsure of what else to say. Something about the look of the man said this might be a huge mistake, but it wouldn't be the first he'd made. He only hoped it wouldn't be the last.

12. AnonyMouse

Ivanna Testarossa

A shadowy hand came around Kami’s side and grabbed the sword blade, wrenching it free of Ivanna’s grasp. For a moment, she thought it had come from the girl, but Ivanna quickly realized it was Dirk’s. So, that was his game? She wondered what other extra appendages he had… and would he mind if she chopped off his real limbs.

The moment the crystal sword was taken from her, Ivanna willed it to vanish. The sword disappeared in a wisp of white mist and was gone as quickly as it’d come. She considered making another and fighting her way out, but Dirk was already scolding her about using her abilities. She didn’t want to make things any worse than she already had, so she just accepted it.

"If you have to know now, you are being targeted for your ability. There's an organization out to get us, fuck knows why,” Dirk said after he pulled out another phone. He had as many of those as he had hands. “They wear grey suits, travel in pairs, and all receive direction from one person. They always try to kidnap first, killing only if given no other alternative. Most all those taken end up being found dead in a ditch somewhere. No one knows what happens to the rest.”

Most of it was things Ivanna already knew or had guessed. She didn't know about the other disappearances and killings, since she'd never encountered any other exceptionals. Nevertheless, she continued to listen to him. If nothing else, she hoped his explanation would satisy Kami.

“My fellow Exceptionals and I are trying to figure this out, and stop it,” Dirk explained. “We follow the grey suits, and study their movements. We also follow other Exceptionals and analyze their abilities. We try not to get involved with them, their lives are already messed up. We just try to protect them against the grey suits."

Like Cheyenne, Ivanna thought. She had never met another exceptional before today. Until now, she had only attacked grey suits to defend herself or to sate her rage. On any given day, she was usually angry at something and pummeling a grey suit’s face into the pavement was an excellent stress reliever.

But things were a little different now. There were others in danger. There were others like her. No, they’re not like me, Ivanna thought. She liked being an outsider, even amongst other outsiders. She didn’t want people to be like her.

"Now. No. More. Interruptions." Dirk demanded as he opened his phone once more, to pick up where he’d left off. But another interruption was already on its way. Two people were sprinting down the alley toward them, followed by a grey suit. One was a disheveled homeless man pushing a cart and the other was…

“Cheyenne,” Ivanna murmured.

Dirk began sprinting toward them and she followed right behind him. The grey suit raised his gun. The homeless man tried to take cover behind his cart with Cheyenne, but Ivan knew that wouldn’t be good enough. The grey suit couldn’t take all five of them into custody, so that meant he would shoot to kill.

Ivan still remembered what Dirk said about not using her abilities. But she refused to just stand by while the grey suit took shots at Cheyenne and… Martin? The homeless man matched the description of the guy Dirk had been talking about on the phone. Martin Wheeler, the ghost. Ivan had the means to protect them.

She ducked down behind the cart with Cheyenne and Martin and a low wall of crystal materialized on the other side. It may have looked like a pane of glass, but she knew the bullets wouldn’t get through it. The gray suit fired off a few shots. The bullets struck the wall but, instead of ricocheting off, simply fell to the ground as if their momentum had been completely drained. The barrier wasn’t even chipped.

“Take care of him,” she said to Dirk and gestured to the grey suit.

13. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Kami DeSoras

"No. More. Interruptions."

As Dirk tried to get back on the phone, he stopped and stared down the street. Kami turned and saw a man pushing a cart, precisely what Dirk had been talking about. And there was a girl too, younger, possibly the girl Dirk had been referring to.

"Cheyenne," the other woman said. It was quiet and... caring? No, Kami thought. Someone who acts like she does couldn't possibly care about someone else like that. Maybe Kami was wrong, but right now wasn't the time to worry about it. Dirk and the woman ran to assist the two as the grey suit pulled a gun. The woman, who seemed to have some ability to form crystal, formed a wall up in front of the cart, and as the grey suit fired at it, the bullets were stopped as though they hadn't even been fired.

"Take care of him," the woman said. Kami didn't know who she was gesturing at, but Kami was going to show her that she was no pushover. She had been a "human vacuum cleaner" as they were walking from her house, and she had plenty to use.

Kami ran up and jumped over the woman, girl, and the guy with the cart, planting her hand on the crystal wall to finish the jump. She was surprised by the touch of the crystal, and smiled as she finished her jump over the wall.

The grey suit aimed the gun at her, and she pointed her palm forward and combined the dirt she had been absorbing with the wind she had been slowly gathering from the autumn breeze. What shot from her palm, she could only call a dirt blaster. She laughed inside, thinking she might be able to put a patent on it if it became the next big hit for the kids.

The guy didn't get a chance to fire as the dirt blinded him. He dropped the gun, trying to wipe the dirt from his eyes. Then, Kami ran, spun around and let loose her weapon.

"Thanks lady," Kami yelled back to the woman behind the cart. She fired the crystals from her hand, making them into sharp knives and aiming straight at the guy's stomach. He groaned as they were buried deep into him, and he fell, his hands still clutching his eyes.

Kami took a deep breath, panting from the adrenaline rush she'd just gotten. She turned around, seeing Dirk standing there, shaking his head. Obviously he was disappointed that she'd used her ability again, even after he'd specifically said not to. But, she was looking past him, at the woman.

Thanks, she mouthed to her. Whether the woman would be angry at her for using the crystal, or happy to have been some additional help, Kami didn't care. Defending the rest of them while Kami took out the grey suit was enough.

14. JessWrite

Avery Funkhouser

When Rebecca uttered the words 'Terrance Circle', only one thought came into Avery's mind. Year 9 Camping Trip. It was an experience Avery wished she could forget, but no matter how hard she tried, the memory still found a way to haunt her.

The s'more incident. Avery cringed when she thought of the bonfire. She had been content to sit and watch her classmates, politely refusing the teacher's plea that she join in the fun. Sitting three feet away from the fire had been fun enough for her. The other rich kids obviously had never cooked over a fire before, but Avery had. More than they could ever know.

She remembered the popular girls whispering among themselves, and staring at her to try to make her feel more of an outcast. And, then it happened. Avery had let herself loose control. It had been pretty funny when she mentally caught one of the girls' marshmallows on fire.

If only the girl hadn't freaked out and dropped her stick.

The fire had quickly spread, and Avery made it worse by accidentally feeding the flames with her invisible heat energy. There were a lot of panicked students, teachers included. No one would have guessed the quiet girl watching had caused the fire. The fire that had made its way on the news; the one that forced Terrance Circle to close down for a few months to clean up the mess.

Avery looked over to Rebecca, walking at a steady pace beside her. She really hoped there weren't any marshmallows hidden in her backpack.

Avery followed Rebecca across the street and onto another sidewalk. They were getting closer. A long with the difference in the area, she also noticed the sun was lower in the sky. Crazy how a few hours can change things. Avery thought. At least she had Rebecca with her, who seemed to know what to do.

Rebecca suddenly walked ahead of her, and Avery knew why when she saw the park in the distance. She ran to catch up with Rebecca, not sure if she wanted to step foot in the dreaded place. But, did she have a choice? Not really.

Avery hesitantly walked inside the park behind Rebecca, her feet crunching on a few scattered leaves. The park didn't look much different than it had three years ago. Avery looked around at the many trees displaying their Autumn colors; along with a picnic area and a pond with ducks. It was a large park, and Avery knew farther down there was a children's playground, areas for sports, a biking trail, and a field of grass that her class had made their campsite.

Avery tried to put on a enthusiastic smile, while turning to Rebecca. To make light of the situation was the only way for her to get through it.

"So, what do you want to do first? Relax in the grass, crash a picnic, or play on the playground?"

15. Love to Write

"So, what do you want to do first? Relax in the grass, crash a picnic, or play on the playground?" Avery asked as they reached the park.

Rebecca smiled in response and took a seat on a near by picnic bench, laying her backpack on the table. From this angle they had a clear veiw of the main part of the park on their left and the street on their right. They would be able to see any gray suits approaching in almost all directions. She saw a line of very nice houses on the otherside of the street. She wondered how many kids took for granted their amazing homes and loving parents. She would have given anything to have a real family for even a few days. Feeling down about life, Rebecca pulled out a bag of mini marshmallows. Her favorite comfort food. Taking a small handfull she offered the bag to Avery who made a face.
    "Whats wrong?" she asked.

Avery scooted a little closer to the edge of the bench. “Sorry. Marshmallows and I really don’t have a good history together,” Avery looked around cautiously and then whispered, “Ever heard of the Terrance Fire?”

Rebecca looked up trying to remember as chewed a mouthful of Marshmallows. "Oh yeah! That was when a little camp fire went all out of control at a school retreat or something. I remember reading about it in the paper."
    Avery nodded her head and made a face that said "Yeah, that was me."

"That was you!?" Rebecca smiled then laughed. "Do you just hate marshmallows or something like that?"
    "I didn't really like the people roasting the marshmallows." Avery smiled in return.

A few moments of comfortable silence went by. They watched various people go by. Some with jogging shorts, some riding bikes, others walking their dogs. They all seemed happy without a care in the world. And she and Avery were sitting, trying to hide from an enemy they knew little about. Where could they go to be safe? Avery would probably be able to go back home to her parents, but Rebecca didn't have anyone. She didn't even have a safe place to live anymore. But somehow...she knew things were going
    to turn out. Rebecca put away the marshmallows and turned to Avery.

"Avery, I just realized you are still a teen. Your parents are probably freaking out right now."

Avery looked away from Rebecca's gaze and down at her lap. “I wish. My parents work all the time, so I’m their last priority. Money is so important to them, like we don’t already have enough.”

Rebecca put an arm around Avery's shoulder. "I'm sorry, Avery. You are lucky to at least have parents, you know."

Avery quickly shrugged away Rebecca's arm, standing up in a fury.

"Rebecca, how can you say that? You don't know my parents. All they talk about is money and stuff, and when I talk about me...what happens? They don't listen. All my life it's been this way. I never could tell them about school, bullies, my emotions. They don't care, I don't even think they love me."

Avery clenched her fists, small flames igniting. Rebecca's eyes widened a little. Obviously this was a sensitive topic. She tried to think of something to say that would help Avery calm down. She had never really had parents. Only foster parents, and foster siblings. She could sort of relate as she had been in plenty of families who concentrated more so on their own kids then the foster children. Remaining calm she replied,

"When I was about 16 I was put in a foster home where the family was quite poor. They had 3 foster children and two birth children. The parents had only taken on the foster children in order to help pay their bills. I was barely noticed at all except for the fact that they kept having to pay for my medical bills. I wasn't there a month before they realized I cost more than I was worth."

Rebecca smiled sadly then said,

"I tell you this not so that you can compare your life to mine, but so that you can see the little blessings you have in your life. I agree that it isn't right your parents hardly notice you. But at least your life is stable. You don't have to move from place to place every few months. You are never hungry. And now you have me. You can talk to me, I'll always listen."

16. Cyberdark

Cyberdark New Member

Cody Deluca
    [HR][/HR]
    The boy in the doorway stared at Cody with renewed interest. He eyed Cody's hand as his eyes widened.

"He... He doesn't seem to be that surprised. Well he does have an ability himself... Turning invisible... what the hell is happening?"

“Brilliant,” the boy remarked, “I hope these events don’t endanger your life, as I have many questions to ask you.”

"Brilliant...? I... I definitely wouldn't call it that..." mumbled Cody to himself.

"Endanger my life... I really don't know... What's going to happen to my body? Everyday I feel this power eating away at my essence... consuming me..."

The boy started to pace back and forth by the doorway, talking frantically, “The powers have an obvious connection to metals. But does it only affect ferromagnetic metals or all metals in general? Why did it stop when you touched that metal?”

"Is he talking to me?"

“The magnetism must be a side effect to the initial cause,”
    continued the boy to himself, “Perhaps it’s caused by a biological deficiency of metals, or some sort of electron displacement. But why would it provoke such a powerful reaction?”

"I've got no clue," mumbled Cody as he coughed violently.

He wiped the blood onto his sleeve. He took the hoodie off, examining his forearm. He tossed it aside and looked down at the pool of blood formed around him,

"This is worse than last time... It's getting worse. What's going to happen next time? And what about this timing? It couldn't have been much worse... but ... at least no one died this time... This guy seems to know quite a bit... but I doubt he knows what the worst case scenario is like..." Cody shuddered at the thought and straightened himself out,

The boy seemed like he was getting more and more excited.Then he slowed his pace, and took a deep breath. He looked like he was getting some sort of fun out this. It was the first time he had actually noticed an expression on the boy's face. Cody stretched out his neck, when he saw something in the hallway. It looked like a stray cat, staring at him attentively.

"How did a cat..."

The boy stopped in front of Cody, as if he came to some sort of conclusion and commanding Cody's attention.

“Unexplainable,” stated Alexander,

"Unexplainable? Well... I looked at it like a punishment... Whatever the cause is... it seems like he knows what he's doing. I wonder if he's had a similar experience... How many more are there? And what about Kami? If there are more of us out there then..."

“And that’s why I need your help,” said the boy as he offered his hand.

Cody looked up to him, perplexed.

"Need my help? I haven't heard that before... Helping someone... Then that man that was chasing him earlier... the gray suit... was he chasing him because he had an ability? He said he was a murderer. So does he kill people like us? There are definitely going to more of them and... That.... that's not right. I know I might not be... but others... could be innocent."

Determination gleamed in Cody's dark green eyes. He took the boy's hand with his normal hand and pulled himself up.

“I don’t believe we’re fully acquainted yet. I am called Alexander.”

Cody stood up straight and moved towards his drawers.

"My name's Cody..."

He grabbed several bottles of his supplements and put them in his pockets. He continued over to the window, looking outside to the gateway.

"What do we do now?"

"You-you said earlier... that the gray suit was a murderer. Well..."

Cody turned to face Alexander, motioning outside.

"There are a couple more of them outside right now."

17. BlizzardHarlequin

BlizzardHarlequin New Member

Adelaide Reynolds

Stepping out from under the shade of a tree, Adelaide looked up into the sky and saw the small patters of rain falling silently onto the cobblestones of her front yard. I hope Mum's alright. I've been gone almost all day and she's bound to be in a complaining mood.. Adelaide wondered to herself, unbuttoning her cardigan and sliding it under her arm. As she undid the latch on the door, a strange creaking noise echoed from beyond the small alleyway at the left side of her house into the back garden. Craning her head around the hedgerow she noticed the wooden door was ajar. Adelaide wrapped the shawl tighter around her hair and threw the cardigan over her shoulders, taking off into a run towards the back garden. Her back garden was quite spacious, with a lovely pond with small koi fish and pebbles. The rain was splashing heavily now, the raindrops making loud plop noises as they clashed against the surface of the pond. She then turned around and noticed something that made her gasp in fright. The glass pane of the backdoor had been smashed in and pieces of glass dotted the steps. Adelaide clambered up them and pushed her way inside yelling out, "Mum? Are you in here? Dad? Is someone there? You better leave.. right now!" she grasped a knife off the counter in the kitchen and hurriedly made her way into the hallway. She tried to show she wasn't frightened but it was no use. Her hand trembled as she held the radiator in the hall. Her shadow danced against the dim table-lamp and she slid herself up against the door frame. She unsteadily leaned on her foot and looked around the corner.

She gasped again at what she saw. Two men had completely ransacked the sitting room of her small house. Her many photographs smashed, her mother's china dishes on the wall cracked and scattered across the floor. What had these men been looking for that they had to check around these small areas? Clenching the knife between her fingers, she whipped around the corner and pointed the tip at them. "What the hell are you doing in my house? Where's my mother? WHAT have you done with her!" Adelaide cried out, her voice trembling slightly. The men looked at her and laughed slightly. One of them blinked and the knife slid out of her hands and clacked against the man's palm. He gripped the handle and pointed it at her. "Boo. Did I scare ya?" he guffawed. The other man spoke with a slight husk in his voice, "Abigail Reynolds. Your mother and highly wanted Exceptional. Where is she, Adelaide? We know your name, your family and everything about you. We even know your mother's... power, shall we say." Power? Her mother.. had a power too? Just like the one Adelaide found out? Adelaide wiped the sweat from her forehead and searched around the room. Her mother's blanket had been thrown from the seat. And of course, her mother was nowhere to be seen. Adelaide lunged at the couch and held onto the fabric. "My mother.. she's not here! She should be here since she's sick! You've done something to her, haven't you? Tell me!" she growled, her nails digging even further into the fabric. "We've done nothing my child. But I'm sure we can't say the same for your father.." The man in the grey suit smirked, and pointed towards the blanket on the floor. Now she noticed the strange bump underneath it. Tears rolled down her face, and she let emotions take the better of her. "MY FATHER! What have you done? You killed him for no reason! What has he ever done to you?!" Adelaide punched the fabric of the seat with her hand, sobbing. The men just kicked the blanket, and she could hear something slump underneath it. The other grey suit along with the taller one grasped it and chucked it over their shoulders. "We'll be going now, my dear. But don't you worry, we'll be back soon enough." The men then disappeared in some sort of strange grey aura, leaving her to sob uncontrollably.

She then noticed a small mouse poke its nose up from beneath the cushion. It looked.. strangely like her mother's hair color. "My love.. I'm sorry.. for what has happened." the mouse spoke in the English accent her mother had as it nuzzled its way under her cardigan. "Mum.." Adelaide sniffled. It all happened much too fast.

18. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Alexander Butler

Alexander stepped up to the window and glanced outside. Sure enough two men were getting out of a sleek black car in front of the boy’s house. They seemed to sport the exact same grey suits as the man that had chased him earlier. This was no coincidence.

There were only two real options that Alexander could think of. They were either a criminal organization who had finally figured out Alexander’s cons – which he highly doubted would ever happen – or they had something to do with their powers. Either way, they were a threat.

“Well Cody, it appears we don’t have time to formally introduce ourselves,” said Alexander, turning back to the boy. “They’re planning a house invasion. I don’t suppose you own a weapon?”

Cody shook his head, “I don’t have a gun or anything, if that’s what you mean.”

“A pity,” stated Alexander. “Then we’ll have to leave. They’ll be entering through the front door; we should escape through the back.”

"Right. Let's get going... There's nothing holding me here anyway," said Cody, heading out of the room.

Alexander followed him, passing the strange cat that watched them by the doorway. He stopped momentarily to pick up a utility knife that must have been dragged along by the boy earlier. It was better safe than sorry.

There was a harsh knock on the door, followed by a voice. “Police, open up!”

Cody seemed to hesitate at the bottom of the stairs, but Alexander pushed him forwards. “Keep moving!” he hissed. The boy whipped around the side of the stairs, and down a short hallway which seemed to lead to a comfortable looking living room. A large, sliding-glass door, which must have been the back entrance, was located at the end of the room.

Another knock emanated from the front door, followed by a series of shouts, and a loud bang. They were trying to kick in the door. Alexander rushed to the back door and pulled it open. Once Cody had followed through, he shut the door and turned to the yard. Cody had already started scaling the fence on the far side.

As soon as they made it over, Alexander ran down the block with Cody in short pursuit.

19. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Joe Williams

After a brief exchange, during which Joe learned the green eye boy was called Cody and the other Alexander, they started talking about murderes in grey suits. This had caught Joe's attention. A murderer in Coventry could be a problem for him, then again anything that meant more police could be a problem for Joe. His ears pricked up as Cody motioned to the window.

"There are a couple more of them outside right now."

Thank god I look like a cat.

“Well Cody, it appears we don’t have time to formally introduce ourselves,” said Alexander, turning back to the Cody. “They’re planning a house invasion. I don’t suppose you own a weapon?”

Cody shook his head, “I don’t have a gun or anything, if that’s what you mean.”

“A pity,” Alexander said, “Then we’ll have to leave. They’ll be entering through the front door; we should escape through the back.”

"Right. Let's get going... There's nothing holding me here anyway," said Cody, heading out of the room.

Alexander followed him stopping to pick up a knife as he passed Joe.

Downstair Joe could hear a knock.

“Police, open up!”

Prentend or real police Joe didn't like either so he followed the two boys through the house and out the back door. As he left the house he could hear the door getting kicked down. In the garden Cody and Alex climbed over the fence as Joe leapt it with ease. They started running down the block when a shout came from behind followed by a shot. It hit Joe's form slowing as travelled through.

"Meow!" Was a Joe could say. Cursing would probably get him noticed at this point.

A few more inacurate shots followed as they fled but their persuers didn't appear to be running after them.

20. AnonyMouse

Ivanna Testarossa

With the gray suit defeated and everyone safe for the moment, Ivan let the crystal wall vanish. Kami mouthed a ‘thanks.’ In reply, Ivan mouthed enough expletives to make a sailor blush. “Keep your hands off my stuff,” she muttered as she stood up from behind the cart. “You thieving little bi-”

“If you hadn’t used your powers --again-- she wouldn’t have had anything to take,” Dirk hissed. “Stop using them! Both of you! Do you want to get us all killed?”

He didn’t raise his voice, but his tone rubbed Ivan the wrong way. “No. Just you,” she said, glaring at Dirk. “And maybe her too,” she added, nodding to Kami.

He huffed an annoyed sigh, but let it go. It seemed as if Dirk was finally beginning to see the futility in arguing with her. Good, Ivan thought. He’s not as dumb as he looks.

He turned his attention to the newcomers instead. “Are you Martin Wheeler?” Dirk asked in his usual gravelly tone. “You’re a hard man to find.” To Ivan’s surprise, he actually grinned a little as he said that.

She slowly shook her head and let Dirk and Marty have their ‘moment.’ She didn’t see what was so important about this guy. Martin Wheeler. The ghost. Looks like any other hobo to me, she thought. Smells like one too. Yet the way Dirk was looking at him, you’d think 'Martin Wheeler' was the name of a sack of money. Maybe she should put a knife to his throat and see what all the fuss is about...

No, that'd be a bad idea. Ivan turned her attention to Cheyenne instead. The girl seemed to be okay. Terrified, but okay. Her tablet, however, was nowhere to be seen. Ivan briefly looked around, on the ground and even atop the heaps of assorted items in the man’s filthy cart, but Cheyenne’s speaking device was nowhere to be found.

“Where’s your tablet?” she said, looking the girl in the eyes. Ivan pulled out her cellphone and opened it to a screen where texts could be written. “I knew I shouldn’t have left,” she said as she took Cheyenne's hand and slapped the phone into her palm. “Stupid girl. I turn my back for five seconds and you start hanging out with the wrong crowd. Now tell me what happened.”

21. Mjolnir

Mjolnir New Member

Martin Wheeler

All Marty could do was watch the scene unfold, his mouth hanging open in bewilderment. The whole confrontation was right off the page of a comic book. Who were these people? At least two of them were Exceptionals and not very subtle about it. The third was a bearded man wearing a red scarf, the one that had come running at them. He hadn't actually done anything except for bark orders, but that didn't mean he didn't have a secret as well. Of the other two, one appeared to be a teenage girl, about the age of his companion. She was pretty and oozed a youthful confidence. Probably a prom queen or something. Marty shifted his gaze to the final member of the crazy trio. Short hair, aggressive eyes, more tattoos than skin, curvy hips and flat chest. Marty squinted at the strange figure, which he finally decided was a very effeminate young man, and felt almost normal by comparison. Despite the fact that had just worked together rather brilliantly to dispatch the grey suit, it was obvious that the three didn't see eye to eye.

“Keep your hands off my stuff,” Tattoo muttered to Prom Queen as he stood up from behind the cart. “You thieving little bi-”

“If you hadn’t used your powers --again-- she wouldn’t have had anything to take,” Red Scarf hissed an interjection. He seemed to be in charge, or at least thought he was. Neither of his companions seemed to be listening to him, though. “Stop using them! Both of you! Do you want to get us all killed?”

Marty nodded. He was right about that at least. These people were clearly dangerous, but at least they weren't Grey Suits. The girl would be safe enough with them, he decided. As for him, he intended to put as much distance between himself and this circus troupe as possible. He stood up from behind the cart and began scanning the street for a likely exit from this madness. He was interrupted as Red Scarf moved to stand in front of him.

“Are you Martin Wheeler?” He asked in a gravelly voice.

Marty felt his cheeks warming and clenched his fists. That name. He couldn't know that name. No one was supposed to know that name. "That's not my name." Marty growled suddenly. "Don't call me that name! I'm Marty now, just Marty. Nothing else." His eyes were wild and his hands were shaking, but Red Scarf didn't seem to notice. Instead he actually grinned and said,

“You’re a hard man to find.”

"Well, that's the whole idea isn't it?" Marty shot back. "Hard to find, hard to catch. "Helps if you don't go around advertising in the middle of the street," He added with a furtive glance at the other two. Tattoo was starring at him with a look that could only be described as predatory. Then a thought struck him. Hard to find? Did that mean that Red Scarf had been looking for him. That made Marty nervous and he took a step back from the man, clinging to his cart for comfort. Who were these people?

“Where’s your tablet?”

Marty glanced over to find Tattoo bent over, talking to the girl he had rescued. Did they know each other.

Cheyenne Fear

Cheyenne tried to smile as the familiar woman approached her, but she was overwhelmed by everything that had happened. She took the phone hesitantly and turned it over in her hands. It wasn't her tablet, but it would have to do. Whatever the ability was that allowed her to speak didn't seem to be reliable. She thought words as loud as she could, but nothing happened. So, she began to type out words on the phone's tiny keyboard. Her fingers felt like they were made of lead and typing was difficult. She got as far as *My mum and Dad, they-" before she felt tears start to burn in her eyes. Up til now, with everything going on, she hadn't had to think about her parents, but now... She stood there, trying hard not to break down, not in front of all these strangers.

"Isn't it obvious to you, Mister big shot? Grey Suits happened."

Cheyenne looked up to find Marty by her side, scowling at the woman she had been talking to.

"Give the kid a break." He said firmly.

Why was this crazy homeless man trying to protect her? She didn't even know him. Cheyenne backed up into the cart and closed her eyes, just wishing this would all go away.

22. Cyberdark

Cyberdark New Member

Cody Deluca
    [HR][/HR]
    Cody sprinted down the street, his arms covering his head. Alexander was just behind him. The grey suits weren't very discreet, as they opened fire in the street at them.

"Shit. They're shooting at us! This is not good! Just gotta keep running!"

"The park! The park's up ahead!" shouted Cody to Alexander as he ran,

"I don't know if we'll be safe there but it's definitely better than trying to go back home. We'll figure something out there!"

"Meow."

The grey suits stopped firing, it seems like they were done chasing them, at least for now. Cody glanced behind him, something catching his eye. It looked like the cat that was in his house earlier. He slowed down perplexed.

"D... did the cat just get shot? And... I-it looks like the same one from earlier."

"I'm probably just imagining things... I mean... there's no way. Yeah, definitely. It's probably because of all the stress, this hasn't really been the best day for me."

Cody shook his head and peered back down the street, panting heavily. He wiped sweat off his forehead, remembering his metal hand. He pulled his sleeve over it,

"What am I supposed to do about this..."

"I've been able to cover up my abilities up until now... but this isn't something that I can gloss over. What am I going to do for school? Wear a glove? Funny... I actually don't think school is my main concern now. There are other people like me... What are we supposed to do?"

"What are we doing?" mumbled Cody

23. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Kami DeSoras

Kami was now confused by all of the commotion going on around her. There was this little girl, Cheyenne, and now the homeless guy, who wanted to be called Marty because he didn't like Martin Wheeler. Dirk was... happy, or angry? She couldn't tell by the smile on his face, but obviously Dirk had been trying to catch up to this guy for some time. Then again, Kami had to admit, he was right, Marty. It helped to keep abilities secret, and not to go using them all over the place. Kami had only done so to help, but she understood safety was key.

Why had Dirk even come to her if he didn't want her to use her abilities? For that matter, why did it make him any different than the grey suits? He said that they captured people like her, Exceptionals. But, though Dirk wasn't capturing them, couldn't it be put into perspective that he was using them? Maybe making a small army to go up against the grey suits? Why was it what he was doing any different than what they were?

Kami sat down, thinking when her cell phone went off. She pulled it from her backpack and answered it.

"Kami, where are you? You should have been home by now."

"Sorry mom. I... stayed after school." She saw Dirk roll his eyes. Obviously he didn't have a family. "I'll be home in a few."

"Okay, well, take your time. Dinner won't be ready for a bit."

"Okay. Love you."

"Love you too. Don't forget that, we love you."

Kami smiled as she hung up. Parents could be dramatic sometimes. She did love her parents, but they were parents.

"Dirk, I've got to get home. Here's my number in case you need to get a hold of me," she said, writing down her cell phone number and handing it to the man.

24. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

Dirk I Reynolds

Dirk followed Marty as he moved to stand by Cheyenne, growling at Ivanna as he did.

"Isn't it obvious to you, Mister big shot? Grey Suits happened. Give the kid a break."

Dirk silently agreed with Marty, but knew voicing it would only serve to set Ivanna off into another tirade. Cheyenne looked the worse for wear emotionally, and she was rhythmically pressing the delete button on the cellphone she was holding. What a pitiful thing. Dirk was distracted by the obnoxious ring of a cell phone. He turned to see Kami answer, and begin lying. Dirk rolled his eyes. She should have ignored the call.

"Dirk, I've got to get home. Here's my number in case you need to get a hold of me," She said, standing to her feet and handing him a small note.

Dirk took the note, then placed a firm hand on Kami's forearm, careful to keep his skin far from her hands.

"I think we should all stay together, at least for now. All your activities have alerted every grey suit in the city, do you really want to bring them back to your home? I can take us to a safe place, you just have to trust me." Dirk scanned the ground quickly, until he caught side of the rogue shadow flitting back and forth across the sidewalk between the group. He tapped his foot twice, and it began winding up his leg. He lurched foreword the slightest bit as it entered his body, releasing Kami's arm.

"We'll all be in more danger if we continue to stand here." He said, feeling drained, eyeing the whole group, "Cheyenne and Marty are coming with me regardless; but as for you two, whether or not you come with me is your choice. If you decide not to come with me, you'll have to disappear, find a place to hide during the night."

He began moving to where Marty and Cheyenne stood, taking mental note of the blood beginning to gather on Cheyenne's knees. She'd need to be carried if they were chased.

25. JessWrite

Avery Funkhouser

It felt good; it felt right. Avery hadn't intentionally used her power in ages, and had forgotten the affects that it brought. Why had she spent years fighting it away, as if it were something terribly wrong? It made her feel better, letting out all of the anger that had been boiling inside her. Thoughts from years before were brought to the front of her mind. Why did she let her parents’ actions control her? Her parents didn't deserve her being such an understanding daughter. Why did she go day after day, accepting the pain they inflicted greater than burns? She could easily run away, live a life she wanted to live. Show them that she didn't want them, just like they didn't want her.

But, Avery was snapped back to reality, hearing Rebecca's calm voice.

"When I was about 16 I was put in a foster home where the family was quite poor. They had 3 foster children and two birth children. The parents had only taken on the foster children in order to help pay their bills. I was barely noticed at all except for the fact that they kept having to pay for my medical bills. I wasn't there a month before they realized I cost more than I was worth."

Rebecca's smiles were usually so bright and cheerful, but this time Avery noticed that her smile was sad, sympathetic.

"I tell you this not so that you can compare your life to mine, but so that you can see the little blessings you have in your life. I agree that it isn't right your parents hardly notice you. But at least your life is stable. You don't have to move from place to place every few months. You are never hungry. And now you have me. You can talk to me, I'll always listen."

Avery opened up her palms, letting the flames extinguish. Hot tears burned in her eyes. She really hadn't seen that coming. There was more to Rebecca's life than Avery had thought. Rebecca truly cared, she understood, and most of all she was right. Avery knew she did have a lot more than other kids, and not only money. She shouldn't let her anger control her; make her think so irrationally, like seeing reality through a mirage.

Avery sat down again next to Rebecca and rubbed her eyes beneath her sunglasses, trying to calm herself.

"I'm sorry, Rebecca." Avery said softly.