Eximius Grygla

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Earphone, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Fan7asticMrFox

Fan7asticMrFox Contributor Contributor

Teddy Jones

“I’m going to go get a room somewhere, but I’ll be back, and when I am, I want you to explain to me what you’re going to do about this.”

Rage boiled under Teddy’s skin, and though he knew he was in the wrong, the mechanic was too stubborn and had let it go too far for the biker to win.

“Explain what!? How you owe Bill and me a whole garage!?” He screamed at Alan’s back, whilst swatting away the good natured paramedic trying vigorously to dab Teddy’s head wound. “I swear if I see your face again, I’ll... I’ll...” Fists clenched and body shaking, he watched the biker walk off down the road in a vulgar nonchalance, and Teddy rued his missed opportunity to get the last laugh.

“Damn it all!”

“Sir, would you please sit down already?” Teddy was not the only one who had lost their patience. He slumped onto the bumper and in his charged frustration, Teddy threw his hands onto the metal and released another unseen surge to the ambulance. In an instant the sirens burst, halting the endless drone of noise and flashing lights.

-------------

Once the mechanic had been cleared with a good bill of health, another paramedic came over holding a book and photo.

“I believe these are yours?” She said behind her auburn hair. “The rest of the stuff around the desk had just been bills and invoices, but these seemed somehow unique.”

“Ah, and I didn’t get you anything.” Ted never missed a beat and already had a smoldering stare on the girl in uniform. “Is there any way I can make it up to you?” His words were slow, and softly danced in the air between the two while he followed up with a smile.

“I wrote my number on the back.” She returned the smile with a playful bite on her lip and pointed to the photo. Carla x - 773-335-9988. He watched her walk away, her hourglass figure swaying left to right. The trance almost gripped him forever until the melting sun intervened as it passed out through the clouds. It’s dark orange glow gave a lucid warm feel, with the evening fast approaching. It was time to leave, and so Teddy made his way past the Java Speak and into the ‘Lucky Clover’ bar on the corner of town.

2. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Baley Warsaw

"Baley!" She called, before the door closed, "Hurry up!"

"Havin' a hard time if ya can't tell," Baley muttered, followed by a groan as she struggled to hold everything with one hand. She had never realized how blessed she was to have two hands...if only she hadn't come to the realization because of her ability.

Her boots clicked on the hard wood as she made her way through a shortcut to the door. There were several people scattered about the store and conveniently one lady was blocking her path.

"Excuse me, Ma'am." Baley said, attempting to sidestep her.

The well-dressed woman took one look and promptly ignored her, turning her interest back to a rack of craft supplies. A scowl passed over Baley's face at the rudeness inherited by all town-folk.

She tried again. "If ya please move, I'd be grateful."

"Mom, mom...look!" a young boy's voice reached her ears. Baley turned to see a blonde boy running out of an aisle with a large box in his hand. As if in slow-motion, he missed his step and Baley watched him trip towards his destination. Her.

The boy yelled as he collided with her shoulder and they tumbled to the ground. In a tangle of arms and legs, reality screamed at her and Baley scrambled to stand up. "Oh my lord..." she breathed. "Get off me!" She darted to the side and in an instant she was up on her feet.

"Please tell me ya aren't hurt," Baley said quickly as she took a closer look at the blonde headed boy. He too had gotten back on his feet, staring at her like she was the devil. She didn't understand why until she noticed the pile of dirt on the wood floor.

"You...you...my tool set." the boy stuttered, pointing with his chubby finger, streaked brown.

"Uh..." Baley studied the boy's puzzled expression. What else could she say? "You're right, one of these folks here should clean that up." She predicted that her face was as green as Ina's sleeve as she collected her knapsack and purchase with one hand. Without another word, she ran through a different aisle and finally got to the door. Thank God it hadn't been the boy...

"We need to get far away from here...and fast." Baley said to Ina as her feet hit the sidewalk.

3. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Erik-the-Enchanter! Banned Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Love Poems
    Liriope

"Hey, hey, whats the rush, pretty mamas?", Liriope said as Ina and Baley barged out of the store. Liriope blocked Baley and Ina's way with his body and grinned at Baley. "Ain't met you before, are you Ina's sister? Cousin...?" They don't have much of a family resemblance, he pondered.

To Ina, Liriope said, "Hey, if this girl is messing with you, just tell me and I'll deal with her." His eyes changed from stormy grey to dark charcoal as he glared sidelong at Baley.

4. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

Gabriel Reeve

He woke up with a start, grabbing at his head, his eyes going wild as they changed to blue, then gold over and over again, No, no, not again!

Rolling out of bed and running to the bathroom, he turned on the faucet to the sink and splashed his face with icy water, but gasped as another spasm shook his frame.

Memories flashed behind his eyes, memories of other lives. Lives he had destroyed or witnessed. Hurt. Lives that he should never have seen.

"Stop it." he growled, sweat trickling down his neck and his shirt damp as he spread his feet to brace himself. "I can fight this -I can-

His words stopped with a choked sound as another spasm shook him and his fingers dug into his scalp on reflex. Hot, sticky crimson followed the path of sweat and water under the collar of his shirt. He wanted to howl, and one began to rise in his throat, but it was forced down as his eyes settled in their disturbing gold hue.

His shaking ceased, and he walked calmly out the door, not even caring for the stares he received as he made his way through the lobby, blood still running down his face.

Opening the doors with a faint tinkling of the bell, he stepped out onto the street, his eyes hidden beneath long bangs.

5. JessWrite

Baley Warsaw

"Ain't met you before, are you Ina's sister? Cousin...?"

She stared the man up and down, shuddering at the piercings on his face. She never understood why folks wanted to be pincushions. "New acquaintance as of an hour ago," Baley said, irritated. "Anyway, move please or we're gonna get followed by a little boy yellin' about a tool set."

She made an attempt to get around the man, before an idea hit her. "Hey...you mind doin' me a favor? Get a pair of gloves out of this bag and get the plastic hook thing off 'em." She shoved the bag in his direction before trying to get around him again.

6. Exzalia

Exzalia Banned Contributor

Sheena lay on her couch staring up at the ceiling. She finally forced her self to eat something and was now making out shapes on the ceiling, like watching the clouds accept less exciting, the smashed phone was still there, as was the letter, as was that mans card. Still lying by the door, she hadn't moved it, until now.

"I can't touch others or I'll put them at risk, but maybe, maybe I could talk to them. just talking won't hurt them, right? Of course I haven't called anyone in years, and he's a guy."
    She frowned at her self.

"I'm too old to be nervous around boys." and with renewed determination she dialed his number.

And instantly slammed the phone down when he answered in a panic and uncontrollable nervousness.

She stood by the phone for a minute her lips curling up, she began to giggle, then laugh laugh harder then she had in years. "I really am hopeless huh? Can't even call someone."

Settling down, she dialed the number again determined to talk to him, to anyone.

7. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Liriope

"Hey...you mind doin' me a favor? Get a pair of gloves out of this bag and get the plastic hook thing off 'em."

"Sure...?", Liriope said as Baley shoved some gloves at him. Liriope ripped the hooks off and handed them back. "Listen, I don't know what's going on, but maybe I can help out." Liroope turned to the store doors and flicked his fingers. The doors suddenly shone with a weird blue glimmer. "No one can get out now", Lirope said with a smug grin. Then he frowned and his brows furrowed.

"Wait, uh, you're gifted, right? Like Ina?" Stupid Liriope, you need to think twice before using your powers in public! Liriope had assumed this Baley chick was an Exceptional, but what if he had just outted Ina and himself? Oh well, I'll just bop her on the head if shes a non-Exceptional and then we could make a run for it.

8. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

Ina Holt

"Wait, uh, you're gifted, right? Like Ina?" Liriope asked.

"Yes yes, she's gifted." Ina said testily, her pleasure at running into Liriope again already dissipated, "Stop using your power! We need to blend in, not attract attention to ourselves, didn't you read the-" She broke off, remembering he hadn't been with them when the paper had written its message.

"Liriope, something weird is going on," Ina said, trying to fill him in, in as little time as possible, "I think someone's watching us; all of us." She hissed, as more liquid spewed from her eye. It felt like fire. "I-uh, used my power, and can't control it anymore. I need to get somewhere private, Baley too. Liriope, can you help?"

9. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Liriope

"Uh, sure, sure", Liriope said, trying not to stare at her leaking eye. It was seriously creepy. "Just this way..." Liriope led the girls back to his hotel, glancing back to make sure no one was following. "That shield should hold for about fifteen minutes. They'll just think it got stuck or something, you know how regular folk like to explain stuff away," he joked.

Once they reached the hotel, Liriope nodded to the doorman, but before they could head inside a man with long bangs and a bleeding face came out. "What the heck, dude!", Liriope cried out. "Do you need medical help, or what?!" Liriope stared at Gabriel, not knowing whether to attack or help him.

10. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Shyla and Eva

Shyla was walking to her motorcycle when Eva drove up and rolled down her window.

"Are you looking for Camille? She's fine. Officer Hanson is taking her to the clinic for a proper check-up. Mr. Herrings is okay, too. It's nothing to worry about. Or is something else on your mind? You seem a little... lost."

"No. I'm...fine..." Shyla put a hand to her head suddenly experiencing the all to familiar feeling of an oncoming seziure. She leaned on her motorcylce for support and lowered herself to the ground. She didn't want to fall if she had a bad one. Damn....I shouldn't have...teleported...so many times...in one...
    Suddenly her eyes rolled up and she lost conciousness.

"Are you okay?" Eva asked, not realizing what was happening. It wasn't until a second later, when the girl began to slump to the ground, that she realized Shyla was having a seizure. Eva quickly shifted into 'park' and darted out of the car. She knelt, cradling Shyla as the girl's eyes rolled back.

Dr. Albrite knew almost nothing of Shyla's medical history. Her mother was also a doctor, so Shyla rarely saw Albrite for her medical needs. This can't be normal, Eva thought as she held Shyla and waited for the seizure to pass. There's no way her mother would allow her to race if this is a regular occurence.

Then again, Shyla's mother hadn't played a very active role in the girl's upbringing. She may not be aware of her daughter's medical issues.

After a minute or so, the convulsions stopped. Eva lightly tapped Shyla on the cheek. Photosensitivity could trigger another attack, so she shielded her eyes from the setting sun as the girl began to awake. "Shyla? Shyla Anderson, can you hear me?"

"Unnh..." It was several moments before Shyla was able to think clearly again. It had been almost 2 years since she'd had such a bad seizure. She blinked tiredly before her eyes managed to focus on Doc Eva. "Don't tell..." She managed to say as she regained her strength.

"I won't," Eva said as she helped Shyla stand. "Doctor-patient confidentiality prevents me from telling anyone. It would be grossly unprofessional to speak of this without your consent." She opened the car door so Shyla could have a seat if she felt uneasy or weak. "I need you to tell me how long this has been going on. Are you on any medications?"

Shyla sat, feeling sick, embarressed and nervous. How much could she tell Eva without giving her secret away? Should she lie or tell only a portion of the truth? "It's fine." She replied curtly. "They don't happen that often. I don't need medication." She looked up at Dr. Albright. "I know you're a doctor and all and believe everything can be cured through medicine...but pumping me full of drugs won't help this."

"No, I don't believe that," Eva said kindly. "That's something newer doctors like to do. I'm a little more... traditional in my approach. I still think chicken noddle soup is the best way to remedy a cold." She folded her arms. "Unfortunately, I don't have any holistic treatments for seizures, dear, other than to find what's causing them and run as fast as you can in the opposite direction."

Shyla smiled and stood up. "Thanks for the advice, Dr. Albright. But this isn't something I can run from." She began walking towards her motorcylce for the 2nd time. "Thanks by the way...for being there." She said turning around. "You promise not say anything...especially to mom or dad?"

"Of course," Eva replied. She hardly ever saw Shyla's parents anyhow. With a small sigh, she added, "My door is always open if you need anything."

11. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

Dr. Albrite and co.

Eva watched Shyla ride away before climbing back inside her car. The girl’s words echoed in her head: This isn’t something I can run from. Eva pictured Camille’s face as she repeated the phrase in her head. It was such a perfect match, she nearly laughed.

“Kids these days…” she muttered with a slow shake of her head as she pulled out onto the road and drove away from the Grammar Hammer. A line of cattle crossing from one patch of grazeland to another was tying up the road to her clinic, so Eva took an alternate route.

A long dirt road looped around behind the farms and into the woods. Hardly anyone knew about the road, especially the narrow, rutted portion of it that branched off into the sparse forest behind her clinic. Even if they did know, most people avoided that forest, due to rumors of it being haunted. Over the past thirty years, nearly a dozen people had gone missing amongst the trees.

Eva’s car bounced over the rough dirt road, its headlights illuminating the eerie, slender forms of the trees. At last, she emerged and cut across a small field under the late afternoon sun to reach the clinic’s lot, where Bert’s ambulance was already waiting.

When she went inside, she found him checking Mr. Herrings’s blood pressure. The old man was sitting up on an operating table while Bert pumped up the cuff.

“George William Bert, for the love of God, don’t tell me you drove over that shoddy road with a patient in the back,” she scolded him the moment she was in the door.

“Hey, it was that or wait for another cow parade to pass,” he said. “And I drove reeeeeal slow. Isn’t that right, sir?”

“Nope. He did eighty miles an hour the whole way. Thought I was gonna die,” Herrings teased, giving Bert a nudge.

That better be sarcasm, Eva thought as she approached and checked the readings. “130 over 85. Good, good,” she said and added it to a nearby clipboard with the rest of the man’s medical records. “That’s a little high, but I think you’re going to be just fine, Mr. Herrings.”

“As long as I don’t come across any more ‘power surges,’ that is.”

“I’ll talk to the electrician and make extra sure it doesn’t happen again,” Eva replied and they both exchanged a knowing glace. An unspoken agreement was reached.

Bert, who had no idea what they were talking about, asked, “should we call Ben and Cami and let them know about the alternate route? Those cows didn’t seem like they were in a hurry…”

“Hmm, should we?” Eva pondered. “It must be dreadful for them,” she said with a straight face. “A handsome young police officer and a feisty redhead damsel in her prime, trapped together in a comfortable, air-conditioned car, on a scenic country road. It would be inhumane of us not to rescue them from such hellish conditions.”

“Okay, you’ve made your point,” Bert chuckled. And no one picked up a phone.

12. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Camille and Ben: History in a Car Fight

"We could almost walk to the Doc's with rate traffic is moving." Camille sighed, wriggling in her seat. "I still can't believe you took her side. If it weren't for Mr. Herrings sake, I wouldn't even be in this car."

Ben heaved a frustrated snort. "Camille, for once in your life can you just shut up and listen to reason?"

Camille turned to look out the window. "I told you, I'm fine..."

"You sure as hell weren't fine this afternoon when I found you bleeding out on the bathroom floor." He growled.

"That was then," she said, "this in now."

"Yeah, a whopping three hours later!" He roared. "Christ, Camille! Anyone with a lick of sense would be at home or in the hospital, not trapesing all over creation extinguishing fires." That got her attention. "You're getting a thorough once over."

She whipped around, resembling nothing quite so much as a startled owl. Her glasses had slipped down her nose, revealing her gorgeous eyes. "You saw that?" Ben nodded, not trusting himself to speak. "What this the first time you seen my wave of weird?"

Ben shook his head. "No. I've known since you fished Radish out of the river the summer we graduated. There was no way humanly possible for anyone to reach him, but somehow that bag drifted right into your hands. Upstream, against the current. That night was one of the few times you were actually hospitalized. It didn't occur to me until today that it was probably for a severe bleeding episode."

"If you knew, why didn't you say something?" She asked.

"I figured...Hoped you would tell me when you were ready." He admitted. "I knew it wasn't something I should pry into, and I couldn't bring myself to violate the little bit of trust you had in me."

Camille was about to speak, but he held up a warning finger. "I'm not done, Cami. You owe me the truth after hell you put me through today." He sighed. "I will be honest with you. It hurt that you didn't trust me enough to tell me about your hemophilia. The only way I found out was because of that damned bracelet you wear."

Camille's slender shoulders hunched, her eyes dark with remorse. "I thought you knew. I thought the whole, wretched town knew. It wasn't a secret I intentionally tried to keep from you."

"I know that now, Cam." He said, his voice soft. "But it still hurt. You've been my right hand for the last fifteen years, I expect you to share things of life threatening importance."

"You really believe it's that important?" Camille asked, clearly startled by his take on the matter.

Ben's rugged, pleasing features hardened. "A chronic, critical illness in someone I love..." He growled. "It doesn't take a brain as big as yours to figure this one out, Camille. How can someone so bright, be so totally obtuse?"

"Don't push it, Hanson..." She ground out, glowering like an angry cat. "Traffic is still slow enough I could make a break for it."

Ben pushed the door lock button. "Try it and I'll turn you over my knee again."

"I was nine!" Camille yelled. "And nobody else was small enough to climb that high..."

"Like I said. Brilliant, but completely senseless." Ben concluded as traffic finally began to move.

13. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

Alan

It was starting to get late when Alan finally got dropped off at Martha's Home Inn, one of the cops had offered to drive him. He thanked the cop and then went inside, it was a small bed and breakfast style place. There was a little desk in the front hall with a bell on it. He rang the bell, then waited. A few moments passed before a round and rosy cheeked old woman came trundling out.

"Hello young man, what can I do for you this evening?" she asked with a thick Minnesota accent. Her cheerful disposition put Alan at ease right away.

"Well, I've had some bad luck today, bad luck that's ended up with me being stranded here in Grygla for a while... And I was wondering if I could get a room for a few nights..." he said.

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that sonny," she said. "But Grygla isn't that bad. As for a room..." she pulled out a book from under the desk and started flipping through the pages.

"Oh right, I was supposed to tell you that Shyla Anderson sent me," Alan added.

"Did she now?" the old woman said. "Well, you're in luck, I have a cozy little room available, and for a stranger in need, who's apparently befriended Shyla, I can give you a discount," the old lady beamed at Alan.

"Thank you ma'am, I really appreciate that."

"Here's your key, breakfast is at 8AM sharp every morning. If you need anything, just come and find me or my nephew Louie and we'll see what we can do. Now, what's your name young man?"

"Alan, Alan Moray, and again, thank you so much."

"Don't mention it Alan, I'm Martha by the way. Hope you luck turns around soon," she said, then showed him up to his room. It was indeed cozy, just a dresser and a twin bed with a night stand. There was a chair in the corner, and a little window that looked out over the town center. Alan thanked the kindly old woman and then once she was gone, closed the door and sat down in the chair, looking out at the little town.

It had been a crazy day. He didn't know what he would do if that idiot mechanic tried to make an issue about this, but he knew that he wasn't going to have any of it. Bike batteries didn't just explode, especially not with enough force to lite a whole garage on fire, there was something stupid going on there. But besides that, all of Alan's things, his tools, extra clothes, everything, had been in the saddle bags on his bike, and now it was gone. And he only had four hundred dollars left... That was enough to get basic new tools, or a bus ticket... but not both. He had to make a decision, stay here and try and find work until he had enough to move on, or run for it. He sighed and looked out the window, wondering what he should do.

14. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Shyla Anderson

Shyla sighed as she parked her motorcycle in the garage and went into her house. Though it was still relatively early in the evening she planned on collapsing on her bed and taking a nap. She always felt drained after a seizure. Orange juice first.Frodo jumped up and down barking at her in greeting. She scratched him behind the ears and headed to the kitchen for some juice. But, she wasn’t expecting what she saw. “Mom…you’re home. I thought you were going to be late.”

Tori Anderson set the letter that Shyla had received down on the counter. “So did I but they seem to have everything under control now so I get the rest of the afternoon off. Shy, what’s this letter?”
    “Some prank letter.” Shyla shrugged. “A bunch of people in town got one. Officer Hanson is looking into it.”
    “Hmm.” Tori looked at it one more time before crumpling it up and tossing it into the trash can.
    “Is dad home yet?” Shyla asked, slowly making her way to the trash can.
    “Yes, he’s upstairs getting changed.” Her mother replied as she went into the living room. Shyla pulled the letter out of the trashcan while her mom wasn’t looking and stuffed it in her pocket.
    “Was upstairs…” Steve Anderson corrected as he came down the stairs. He was wearing a suit and a green tie. It was then Shyla noticed her mom was dressed in a nice green evening gown as well. She followed them into the living room.
    “What’s going on?” Shyla asked curiously. “Are you guys going out?”
    “You’re dad and I thought it would be nice for the family to go out to dinner to celebrate.” Tori replied.
    How’d they find out already? Did Uncle Walter tell them? Maybe mom saw me win the race on the t.v.… Shyla decided to play coy. “So what are we celebrating?”

Tori looked at her husband and Steve wrapped an arm around her waist. “Your mother is pregnant.” Her dad said beaming. “Soon you’re going to be an older sister.”
    “I’m what…” Shyla’s face fell and her mouth dropped open in shock.
    “You’re going to have a sibling soon! Isn’t that wonderful!?” Tori exclaimed. Without waiting for answer she said. “Now go get changed. Your dad got us reservations at DW’s Dining and Dancing. Be sure to put on something nice."

Shyla nodded trying to smile for her parents before running up stairs. She closed the door to her room and immediately started attacking her pillow with her fists, silently venting her pent-up frustration. Her parents were busy enough as it was. And now…a baby? They’d both already forgotten she had a race today. They wern't even around enough for her to feel safe enough telling them about her abilities, or their side effects. Shyla had been so excited to tell them about her gold metal and the likely-hood she’d be going to the nationals, but now…

Why now after all these years? Why didn’t they have a baby when I was younger? Now I’ll just be stuck babysitting while they continue on with their careers. I don’t want a sibling. This isn’t fair.
    Shyla looked up at her wall. It had pictures of all the places she'd teleported to. Paris, London, Switzerland, Los Angeles. Thus far she'd been content to live at home. Traveling only when she felt like it. But a sibiling changed everything. No way she was going to have her life ruined by her parents having another kid. It was time to move on. She'd race, she'd make it to the nationals and she'd move onto another city. Get sponsers...support herself, make her own life. And she only had 8 months to do it in.

15. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Camille and Ben: Course Change

As Ben slowed to allow for Mr. Milton's prize Jerseys to cross, Camille glanced down at the sheet of paper Ben had dropped into her lap. It was no longer blank. Break it up, you're attracting unwelcome attention. Lose the cop, and we'll talk.

"Um...Ben." She began cautiously.

"I'm not letting you get out of this, Camille." He said, his eyes fixed on the last of the plodding cattle.

"It's not that." Camille said. "My note is no longer blank."

Ben slammed on the brakes and pulled the car over to the shoulder. "What do you mean no longer blank?"

Camille shot him an exasperated glance. "I mean exactly what I said. There is now writing on the sheet. See." She held up the proffered note.

Ben plucked it out of her hand, his signature scowl back in place. "Well, hell..." Suddenly he looked thoughtful. "I wonder?" Reaching into his uniform pocket, he pulled out Baley's note. Break it up, you're attracting unwelcome attention. Lose the cop, and we'll talk. The handwriting was identical.

Ben handed both notes back to Camille and put the car back into gear. "Change of plans. We'll see the Doc in a little bit, but first we're going to see what's going on with this Berkle- place."

16. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

Alan

Alan was dozing off when an odd noise woke him up. He looked around for a moment, then saw an envelope had been slipped under the door. He picked it up and examined it. The envelope had his name on it.

Ripping the seal, he pulled out a sheet of paper and a photograph. The picture was of a building, one he'd never seen before, there was a sign that said 'Berkle', then there was a piece of notebook paper. It read:

Break it up, you're attracting unwelcome attention.
    Lose the cop, and we'll talk.

It's getting late, but as the hours go on I feel more confused. Why did that girl save me? it's a question I have truly been struggling with, why. I wanted to die, why did she interfere? She doesn't know me. I guess there are still some good people in the world, anyway I don't think I have the steel to try killing myself again but. I'm so lonely I doubt staying alive will be much better, I'll go mad.

Alan had no idea what any of that meant, but it felt important for some reason.

Opening the door he looked up and down the hall, but saw no one. He decided to worry about it in the morning, and set the envelope on the night stand.

Then laying back down, he tried to fall asleep, but something about the day suddenly came unbidden into his mind. That energy he'd felt while the fire went out, it was like his own, and like... theirs. But could there really be someone like him here, in this tiny town in Minnesota? He lay awake for a long time pondering that.

17. Keitsumah

Gabreil Reeve

"What the heck, dude!", Liriope cried out. "Do you need medical help, or what?!"

Gabe paused, his shoulders tensing visibly, while inside he was waging a war so savage against his own mind that he doubted anyone would beleive him. He felt the blood streking down his face and the stares he was receiving, but he could only manage to get one word out as he struggled to hold back the surging energies within him:

"Run." it came out as a rasp, and his aura spiked, blazing like fire around him.

But it held no warmth.

18. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Liriope

"Run." it came out as a rasp, and his aura spiked, blazing like fire around him.

Liriope jumped as Gabriel's aura combusted. So he's an Exceptional, too, right in the same hotel as me. Liriope looked around quickly to make sure the doorman wasn't looking, which he wasn't, and then said to Gabriel, "Get inside, you jerk, you can't use powers in public like that!" And just like that he thrust out his hands and a burst of purple energy rammed into Gabriel's body with enough force to knock over a brick wall. The momentum of Liriope's energy blast pushed Gabriel back through the hotel doors into the lobby. Liriope looked kind of winded and his lips turned ashy pale, but otherwise he was fine.

I hope that knocked him out, he seemed kind of out-of-control. "C'mon, lets take him to my room", Liriope said to Ina and Baley. Then he entered the lobby.

19. JessWrite

Baley Warsaw

Baley's mouth dropped open when the bleeding man sparked, body ablaze. She had to keep from dropping her bags and gloves at the queer sight. She'd always thought she was the only one; had just another thing to add to her "weird" life. She'd thought wrong, obviously. At that moment, Liriope joined the flaming circus act and pushed the man into the lobby.

"C'mon, lets take him to my room", Liriope said to her and Ina. With a turn on his heel, he turned his back to them and strutted into the lobby. Baley stared at the doors for a second before willing to oblige. Better to be out of sight than linger where it was dangerous. As she walked into the hotel, she knew her family would be wondering what happened to her. She dreaded that lecture whenever she got home.

"Don't expect me to do anythin' to help," Baley said to Liriope. "Not until I get this glove on, anyway. Don't want anything...anyone goin' missin'." She held her left hand carefully to the side as she managed to keep hold on her other things. Boy, she couldn't wait to sit down.

20. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Liriope

Liriope turned to Baley and scratched his chin. "I think I can help with that", Liriope said. "May I?" He held out his hands over Baley's as if warming them over a campfire. After checking to make sure the front desk was vacated, he spread his fingers. There was a discreet blue flash, like a camera, and Baley's hands glimmered with a weird under-water glow. The glow faded til it was almost imperceptable.

"I gave your hands some protection", Liriope explained with a cocky grin. "It's thin enough to be flexible, but I'm afraid I'll have to take it off once we're upstairs. I'm gettin' kind of tired and I don't want to expend myself too much, in case I need my energy for later." It was true, his lips were still pale and his changeable eyes had turned clear grey. "So, help me drag him, 'kay?" Liriope bent and grabbed Gabriel's legs and started pulling him to the elevator.

21. JessWrite

Baley Warsaw

"I gave your hands some protection", Liriope explained with a cocky grin. "It's thin enough to be flexible, but I'm afraid I'll have to take it off once we're upstairs. I'm gettin' kind of tired and I don't want to expend myself too much, in case I need my energy for later. So, help me drag him, 'kay?"

"I don't think so..." Baley said, staring at her newly blue hand. "Don't wanna risk it. I mean, I'm sure it works fine and all...but this would be worth nothin' if he dies."

Her heart fluttered as she continued to stare at her hand. Then she had a thought, why not use this rare opportunity for her benefit? Usually it took her ten minutes to put on gloves, pouring over her fingering precision. With her right hand she pulled out the left glove and put it on easily, with no worries.

"Guess it does work," Baley said with a nod. "Fine, I'll help..." Baley grabbed the man's other leg with both hands. "Ya do realize this is real awkward..." she muttered.

22. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Liriope

"Ya do realize this is real awkward..."

"Yes, I am aware", Liriope replied. They bundled into the elevator and as they rose up the floor levels, Liriope snapped his fingers and banished Baley's hand wards. Once they reached his floor, he tugged out the bloody-faced dude and took them to his room. "Welcome to my humbled abode", he said jokingly.

Liriope's room was a mess. Junk food wrappers, empty beer bottles, discarded trash and other used things littered the floor. He took Gabriel to the TV room. "Sit anywhere", Liriope said cheerily. Then he noticed his boxers on the sofa. "Oops!" He snatched them up, sniffed them cautiously, then tossed them onto a potted fern. "Anyway, lets talk--what has been going on with the Exceptionals in our quiet lil' town?" Liriope lounged on the couch and waited for someone to speak.

23. Keitsumah

Gabreil Reeve

Gabreil groaned as he came to, rubbing his head and his now-blue eyes widening as his hand came away bloodied, "Crap . . . what . . ?" he blinked and glanced around, immediately shutting his eyes when they came across Liriope and Baley. His whole body tensed and he seemed to struggle against something before calming down enough to slump against the couch.

"I lost control again . . " he mumbled, "Who died this time . . ?"

24. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Liriope

"I lost control again . . " he mumbled, "Who died this time . . ?"

"Uhhh...did you say died?", Liriope asked. "Are you a killer, or something? I've never met, like, a real psycho before. How many peeps have you slaughtered, bro?" Liriope was giddy, he watched late-night news specials about murderers and he found them fascinating. Then it registered to him that this guy might be dangerous. Just in case, Liriope flicked his fingers slightly and trapped Gabriel under a flat square of blue-violet energy. His blue shield were thin and elastic, and his purple shields were iron-hard. This one was in-between.

"Sorry, dude, can't let you up til I know it's safe", Liriope said, glancing anxiously at Ina and Baley.

25. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

Evangeline, at day's end

On the back porch of Dr. Albrite’s home sat Mr. Herrings, sipping a tall glass of iced tea as he watched the Minnesota sun sink into the treeline at the edge of her land, sending long, eerie shadows across the fields. Behind him, the back door clanged shut as Eva emerged from the house. Without a word, she poured herself a glass from the pitcher, took a seat in a rocking chair, and crossed her legs to watch the day’s end.

They sat in silence for many minutes.

“I’ve been doing the math…” Herrings said, gazing off into the sunset. “You said to Camille ‘when I was your age, the Second World War hadn’t begun yet.’ By my estimate, that makes you about a century old, right?”

He was still staring off into the distance and didn’t see her roll her eyes. She said nothing.

“I know it’s not polite to ask a lady her age, but-”

“Then don’t ask,” she said before lifting the ice cold glass to her lips.

The old man just chuckled and they enjoyed the silence for a few more minutes before he spoke again. “You ever wanted to give it all up?” he said, watching the orange sun peek through the treetops. “I mean, I’m not saying you should or would, but after a hundred years, no one would blame you if you wanted to just… end it.”

“You speak as if I have no control over this,” Eva replied, “as if I’m just along for the ride.” She paused to refill her empty glass. “I am the way I am by my design. My life is purpose-driven. Camille had it all wrong: I haven’t forgotten to live. I do it every day.”

It took a moment for the old man to fully grasp her meaning, but when he did he immediately sat up straight and looked to her. Eva averted her gaze.

“Doctor, are you saying what I think you’re saying?” Herrings accosted. “You’re doing something to keep yourself young?”

She said nothing, just stared into the lengthening shadows.

“Don’t ignore me. I’m talking to you,” the old man said, his temper flaring. “I deserve to know.”

“You would sleep better at night if you didn’t,” she said icily.

“It’s got something to do with that creature, doesn’t it?” he said, pointing a trembling finger at her. “That… demon.”

“Gehenna is not a demon and I haven’t made a pact with the Devil, if that’s what you’re getting at,” she scoffed. "Don't be silly."

“You named it ’Gehenna’ --a word synonymous with ‘Hell’-- and then tell me it’s not a demon?” his eyes narrowed on her.

“How astute of you. Not surprising, coming from the owner of a bookstore,” Eva said coyly. “I named him ‘Gehenna’ because he is a cleansing flame. Gehenna and I have kept this town pure.” Herrings’s jaw hung open in surprise… or confusion. She couldn’t tell. “See, I told you you’d sleep better if you didn’t know.”

“The disappearances in the forest…” the old man said, his face beginning to pale.

She said nothing.