1. sharonwagoner

sharonwagoner New Member

Expectations for different types of writing

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by sharonwagoner, Oct 23, 2012.

Could we talk about what is expected in different types of fiction?

I know that I should always check guidelines before I submit to a publisher or magazine, but maybe knowing what is expected in general would help.

Short stories: 1,000 to 7,500 words.

Novella: 20,000 to 50,000 words.

Novel: 50,000 to 110, 000 words.

I also have heard that publishers expect the chapters to be all about the same length, especially for romances. Does anyone know how many chapters are usual?

I understand that there should always be a plot point in the last 1/3 of the book where the romance seems to be over.

I believe that at lest two wrong solutions are expected before the final solution in a mystery.

Please post what you know. I am trying to get up a sort of check list of what is expected in different types of writing. Something that goes beyond just the submission guidelines to the expected form of a story.

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Probably varies by publication.

20,000 seems low to me. I'd have said 40,000 - 60,000.

Too wide a range to be useful. 50,000 - 60,000 would be fine for a YA novel. For first time adult novels, 80,000 - 100,000 is the usual. Once a novelist has been successfully published, the limits get loosened.

I wouldn't know if there are any special considerations for romances, but I have never heard of an expectation that chapters be of uniform length. Frankly, that wouldn't make any sense.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto all of that!

none of those 3 shoulds/expecteds make sense to me... i can't imagine where you could've gotten those ideas...

check a dozen different publisher's guidelines... do that and you'll see what the expectations/requirements really are and how widely they may vary from one to another...

4. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

5. Mikewritesfic

Mikewritesfic Active Member

I agree with what the other folks on here are saying. Those seem like very limiting guidelines and they are not etched in stone.