Fallout 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Lemex, Jun 5, 2015.

1. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

The graphics were not a rehash. LA was done FANTASTICALLY well. Some of those streets...it was like, "holy shit, I'm in LA."

I personally thought the enemies in GTA V were fine. They weren't GREAT, or anything, but, they were generally placed in unique situations, environments, so that the missions were still interesting. Look, I've played Fallout 3, and Skyrim, and Oblivion. I know how Bethesda works. Not only are the enemies all basically reskins, but so are the dungeons, how the enemies are dispersed, etc, etc. You just go into dungeon after dungeon, rinsing and repeating. In GTA V, this was absolutely not the case.

I want to go back to the argument of hype for a second. GTA V wasn't just hype. It had a mind blowing trailer that showed us exactly what we were getting in GTA V. Rockstar had nothing to hide. You guys aren't stupid. I'm sure you've read that the leaks from Fallout 4 were less than impressive, and that Bethesda is trying very hard to keep the game under wraps until release. My question is why? What does it have to hide? Do they not want to give ammo to people like me who might convince (some) people like you not to buy it? Don't get me wrong, if Fallout 4 winds up being awesome, according to reviews, I'll absolutely consider buying it, but based on what I've been reading, I'm skeptical.

2. Jones

Jones My body is ready

Here's what it boils down to for me. If they just took the graphics and mechanics for Fallout 3 and made a whole new game in terms of location, quests, etc. I'd love the hell out of that game. Better graphics and mechanics and AI is just gravy.

123456789 likes this.
  3. 123456789

I suspect that's the case for a lot of people. That's fine. That's an 8/10 game.

4. Jones

Jones My body is ready

For reasons unknown, I start with Gamespot for reviews and 8, maybe 7 if it's really buggy, is my guess too. An 8 for a game that's exactly in my wheelhouse as far as gameplay is pretty good.

I have a buddy trying to get me into Witcher 3(GS 10) but I was so meh about 2 I haven't tried it yet.

5. 123456789

As a child I loved video games. In adulthood, I do it for nostalgia. This means I'll still read up on games, but only buy 0-2 to a year, and usually only play very few hours of those games. It takes a masterpiece to get me to play the whole thing through. I only mention this so people understand my own personal problem with an 8 score. For avid gamers, an 8 is probably awesome.

6. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Thanks, Link... just as long as you're fully aware how anal I am over this.

I've no doubt there will be HUD options, but my obsession goes way beyond this. For complete immersion to take place, the game has to be first-person, and it has to have a clear screen at ALL times. This means no markers, no scanners, gauges, button prompts, subtitles... at ANY time, no matter what you're doing.

Link the Writer likes this.
  7. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Oh dear. Um, you might want to go skip over this game then because the dialogue system requires that you hit a button in the dialogue wheel to say something. Example:

Vault Tech Guy: "Hello! I'm here to sell you a Vault!"

<Dialogue tree appears:
    Y - Vault-Tech?
    X - Go on.
    B - Not interested.
    A- Good morning.>

Acanthophis and OurJud like this.
  8. OurJud

lol - thanks.

I think the only way I'm ever going to get my ideal, first-person MMO survival game is to make it myself.

9. Jones

Jones My body is ready

Yup, that's exactly why I started writing. No one else was writing what I wanted to read.

OurJud likes this.
  10. Erez Kristal

Erez Kristal Member

I agree with this stance, I have been playing games for 25 years, very few games will manage to leave a good impression on me nowadays. Gta 5 story mode feels like more of the same, and the start atleast is less interesting for me than gta 4.
    Command and conquer 3 felt, more of the same. The last heroes feels like more of the same... Assassin creeds... So many games feel like more of the same.
    However some games have more things going for them built in their gameplay: Bioware - the characters, the interactive story. Civilization-crusader kings,- medieval warfare - mount&blade. (A power fantasy - sandbox) Rollercoasters action games - can be a sweet ride like watching an action movie.

And lastly you have Bethesda games who makes the best walking simulators around.

11. Link the Writer

Warning to anyone planning to play Fallout 4:

The ending has been leaked on instagram. Repeat, the ending has been leaked. Be extremely careful when surfing social media site in relation to this game

12. OurJud

The only risk with this approach is that the writer / developer themselves, ends up being the only person interested in the product :D

13. Greenwood

Greenwood Active Member

Yes, man! It's been months and I haven't even found this thread:bigconfused:

Definitely looking forward to it. Only a couple of days to go now. I'm a major Fallout fan and the trailers got me loathing each day that is not the 10th of november.

*Quietly hopes for a Yes Man! return*

And then it will only be five more months until Dark Souls III hits the shelves. I feel sorry for myself already:bigeek:

14. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

The reason that so many people are looking forward to it is becausethe other fallout games were fucking FUN. It's like some people here think that's the least relevant part, and only artbitrary subjective comparisons between mechanical components should have any bearing on it's importance. 'You shouldn't look forward to this, it's just the same ol' game.' GREAT, the 'same ol' game' was FUN. FUN, you know that reason people PLAY games. Even if this was just a diferent map I'd love it, like New Vegas. Also this isn't a pissing contest, comparing something one group enjoys to something they enjoy. 'Look, they say mine is better, you guys suck.'

Fucking hell.

Fallout 4 will be awesome, for me and the fans, because Fallout 3, New Vegas, Fallout Tactics, Fallout 2 and Fallout were all awesome, for me and the fans. Even if, according to the statistical analysis of what makes a game great, it doesn't measure up to other people's arbitrary metrics of 'awesomeness'. GTAV can suck it.

Acanthophis and Greenwood like this.
  15. Greenwood

Greenwood Active Member

Amen.

16. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Why all the Fallout 4 and GTA V comparisons? Aside from both being open world games filled with exploration and missions/quests they are very very different beasts. Fallout be 1-4 (Well can't say 4 for sure but lets just say so for now) has its foot planted more on the RPG side of things.

As for group contest.

I'm pretty sure the same people who are bought GTA V are going to buy Fallout 4. Hell I have Oblivion, GTA 4, New Vegas, GTA V and am getting Fallout 4 on release date but I also got all the Metal Gears and Bioshocks plus tons of wrestling games. I'm not much of a gamer as to some people, haven't played anything in months but I get very invested into certain series.

You can enjoy more then one thing.

17. Link the Writer

What is this heresy? No, the Code of Gaming inscribed by the Gods of Gaming clearly states: “Thou shalt enjoy but one gaming series, and only one gaming series.”

:p

Kingtype likes this.
  18. OurJud

"Hello, Kettle? This is Pot. You're black!" :D

19. 123456789

You guys are babies. I asked a simple question- what score do you think the game will get? I don't need to know abot all your escapist fantasies.

20. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Hmmmmmmm well I was trying to cool down the Fallout and GTA rivalry brewing XD

But

Fallout 4.....

9.5 or 9.6.

Something like that, maybe more but certainly that if they are building on what Skyrim and Fallout 3/New Vegas did.

21. 123456789

i can't wait till next week so I can start posting review scores here

22. Selbbin

Don't be racist.

OurJud likes this.
  23. Selbbin

Irrelevant numbers you mean?

24. Selbbin

Anyway, this is meant to be a Fallout 4 is coming out, holy shit, that's awesome! Thread.

So I shall re-iterate...

Fallout 4 is coming out, holy shit, that's awesome! I'm genuinely excited about being able to create my own settlement. That's what I'll be doing. Building up my fort to defend against sieges and raiders. I've always daydreamed about it when coming across raider settlements. All I could do in the past was find a building I liked to stash my stuff. I know it's only on established sites, and not just anywhere, but still, this particular innovation has me the most interested, while the Battlemech style power armour use and modification is almost as cool. I love Mechwarrior so this is a cool wink of similarity.

25. 123456789

OK, I just saw the new trailer. Graphics look like shit and artwork is just like last time. It's hard to determine gameplay based select bits from a trailer. The trailer was kind of lame. That doesn't mean the gameplay won't be awesome. My bets are it won't be awesome, based on Bethesda's record, but...but, maybe having them use the same engine as last time allowed them to spend more time and thought on gameplay. Maybe Fallout 4 finally gets open world modern western RPG gameplay right. One can only hope! I would sure be pleasantly surprised.