Fallout 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Lemex, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

LOL

2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

"Console users are cheapskates". And yet when we argue that many of us buy consoles because of the cost compared to PCs, we're told that a good gaming rig can be had for less than a new console.

I wish you lot would make your minds up :nosleep:

3. Selbbin

I'm not part of any lot. Consoles outsell gaming PCs by a metric fuck-tonne, so game builders design the games for consoles. Then they rush out PC conversions that are buggy, and people laugh and say look, PC is shit. And then they get consoles thinking PC is inherently shit when it's the coding at fault, making the problem worse.

Anyway, I can't stand consoles personally because of the interface, the controller, and don't understand how people like to use them. I put it down to what they're used to. It's not wrong. I just don't get it. Like why people like sarsaparilla.

The rest is just gentle ribbing.

OurJud likes this.
  4. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Cranked 3 hours into it.

• I love the settlement building. Could see myself spending hours into it once I figure out how to friggin' get the generator and all the electrics to work. >:[ A tutorial would've been very helpful.

• Character customization, Oh God...this pisses all over that crappy Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas customization.

• Controls are bit difficult to get used to, but I'm getting the hang of it.

All in all, I love this game so far. It's a must for Fallout fans.

5. DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse Member

I am literally ten minutes into fallout 3, I will not play 4 for a long time cause I'm constantly a console behind.

6. Erez Kristal

Erez Kristal Member

I am still recovering mentally from the loss of my ex who died after I broke up with her. Secondly I am changing atmosphere in two weeks, and wont have access to my gaming rig for about a year, which would be a great opportunity to write and write away.

I wasn't astounded by the gta 5 graphics to be honest, graphics don't improve that much any more, they become more smooth, more polished but not always prettier, the best look games out there is actually the modded Skyrim and probably Witcher 3.
    Gta 5 gameplay and world design didn't add any significant new things to the table, you still add to drive from point A to point B with no say or influence on the story, it's a very linear game set in an open driving simulator. Don't get me wrong it's a fun game, and one of the best out there.

7. Acanthophis

Acanthophis ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Contributor

Hover over the power generator and press Triangle/Y, which creates a power cable. Take the cable and press Triangle/Y to hook it up to whatever you want to power. Oddly enough, there is a tutorial - but it's not at Sanctuary, it's in some random ass place I stumbled on completely by accident. It told me how to use power. :p

I basically just told you everything you need to know to work it now.

Link the Writer likes this.
  8. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

I just wanna chime in on the PC vs. console (price) aspect of this:

Out of the box, no. Absolutely not.

Moving forward, I must caveat myself with the fact that I'm not an active shopper; I buy what I need and I use it until it melts.

*ahem*

Last time I bought a console (PS3), it cost me $400. The game to go with it was another $60. One console and one game cost me almost $500.

In 2010-2011 (I don't remember exactly which year), I bought a very mediocre pre-built gaming PC for $750. That's just the tower. No mouse, no monitor, no keyboard. The monitor I chose was $250, and let's just pretend the mouse and keyboard were, eh, $80 together. Sounds reasonable to me.

750 + 250 + 80 = $1080. That's more than double what I paid for my console and game together.

Just for thorough-ness, 30 seconds of Google tells me that a "top of the line gaming PC" sits well above the $1,000 mark, ranging all the way to almost $8,000.

Whoever told you that you can get a gaming rig for less than the price of a console doesn't know what a gaming rig is. Were they thinking, perhaps, a laptop that plays Candy Crush?

Are console users cheapskates? I wouldn't say so. $500 is still $500, and you still have to upgrade every few years because of the generational nature of your platform. You console people fork over $400 every time a new generation is released because they stop making games for the old one. PC gamers have the luxury of upgrading one piece of hardware at a time, at our convenience.

Yes, a good gaming rig costs a shit ton out of the box, but in the five years I've had it, I haven't needed to replace a single thing on this PC. PCs are investments, a good one holds its value. What good is a PS4 once they release PS5?

Honestly, just eyeballing the numbers, I think an average PC gamer vs. an average console gamer probably spend the same amount of money in the long-term. It's just that PC requires a larger down payment.

9. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

You don't have to have a top of the line gamer rig in order to play some of these games at very considerable strength. When I first started playing World of Warcraft again, I put together a 3.6 GB quad core PC with a terabyte hard drive and a decent video card and 4 GB of RAM (I know that isn't much but World of Warcraft only recognizes so much and I have since upgraded to 8 GB), and all in all it cost me around $400. I know there are 8 core processors and stuff out there, but really what good is that if I'm just playing a single game? My Quad core runs everything I do now and has absolutely not a single slow down or problem. Really the only thing I could need to upgrade on my computer now is a new video card as I'm using a Radeon 5450 HD 1 GB DDR3, and to add my RAM up to about 16 GB. If I did that I could play any game on the market just fine, and with my 500W power supply I should have no problem powering any of that.

I just don't see the need to spend a shit ton of money on some pre-built rig.

10. Selbbin

I'm honestly looking to drop $aus1500 for a rig to play Fallout 4. Maybe I'm being dumb, but I haven't had a gaming machine for years. last one I bought for dedicated gameplay was 15 years ago. Luckily fallout 3 played on my writing laptop.

BUT before you call me the dumbass that I admit I am, I'm also a photographer and film-maker so this will double as a kickass image and video editing machine! Which is long overdue.

11. Lewdog

Okay, I won't call you a dumbass to your face. :supergrin:

Just giving you a hard time! BTW if you ever need any good film ideas I'm full of them! :bigwink:

Also $1500 Aus is about $1,050 U.S. so that isn't far off from what was already said.

12. croak3r

croak3r Member

Having a good computer if your using it all day is a must, escpecially for work. I aboslutely loathe working from a laptop and cant see why anyone would want to do it.

Also not to turn this thread into too much of a console vs PC debate, but you could easily make a computer that performs as well as a console for the same price. You have to remember that consoles are still running a lot of games in 900p (and some even 720p) and those which are in 1080p are mostly only 30fps. Then you also have the benefit of not paying at least £60 a year to use your own internet.
    Although i do tend to find that once you have a PC you end up wanting to buy the best stuff you cant find just so you can see how much better things look :)

13. Link the Writer

Oh my God, Diamond City has EVERYTHING! That's it. Abandoning Sanctuary Hills, this is my character's new home.

EDIT:
    OK, I discovered a glitch where the game intro takes forever to get to the menu. What I've done was a hard reset (you hold down the glowing icon as it shuts down) and unplugging the X-Box entirely for a minute or two. Seems to be working fine now.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  14. Selbbin

I'm super excited. I won't be playing it for a while, sadly, waiting to have the money for the rig, but it's honestly super exciting.

Acanthophis likes this.
  15. Imaginarily

A year?

You Brits only have to pay 60 a year!?

Jesus Christ man, we pay that per month over here. :wtf:

16. croak3r

croak3r Member

I mean for xbox live, not broadband. Think it's more now though, i'ts been a while since i've played on consoles.

17. Imaginarily

... Oh. :whistle:

18. OurJud

On the whole PC gaming rig thing, can any of you PC'ers offer an educated guess at what kind of monster would be needed to run this. Not a trick question - generally interested as I've never seen anything this good before.

19. Imaginarily

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    OurJud likes this.
  20. croak3r

croak3r Member

Thats Richard Burns Rally with mods. It was made in 2004, so i'm guessing it doesnt require much of a computer to run it. I think it's just the viewing angle in that video, because in others it doesnt look all that good. I would say Dirt Rally looks a lot better.

OurJud likes this.
  21. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

I fail to see how almost any of this is relevant to fallout 4....

22. Lewdog

It's a discussion on what is the better platform to play Fallout 4. How do you not see the relevance?

Imaginarily likes this.
  23. OurJud

I can't get over that RBR clip. I wonder if it feels as realistic as it looks. It's the closest to the real thing I ever saw, but as @croak3r says it no doubt has a lot to do with the set-up.

@Imaginarily, thank your brother for the info :)

Imaginarily likes this.
  24. Erez Kristal

Erez Kristal Member

A little bit more input for those up there debating if to buy.

I am lowering the grade to a 7, I feel like it has a lot of quantity over quality.
    Make no mistake, it is a much better version of fallout 3 but it isn't new vegas in terms of story telling.

Quests have limited solutions and limited questions, your protagonist speaks when he shouldn't when just walking around and breaking your own observations by making his. For example at one place he asks himself why such a small settlement needs so much security... In fallout 4 I ask myself other questions, like how do these weak humans without any power-armor even manage to run away from all the enemies around them.

Companions control and combat interference is still lacking - they turn the combat cheap because they cannot die, but they won't stay alive for long if they could due to their poor survival instincts.

Legendary items - break immersion.

Very few characters you can actually talk to, make this game feel extremely lonely, and those you can actually talk to have little to say or just repeat the same old mantra about the enemies lurking in Boston.

Combat is leagues better than fallout 3, but the enemies still lack strategy and the leveling system makes for a lot of un immersive fights. This is something that can easily be discarded by mods, but if the game had no leveling it would reveal a glorifying problem in the game.

Due to the lack of story interactions, if you had no experience rewards you would have little to do.

Still a good game, but far from perfect.

25. Link the Writer

Here's my little mini-review:

It's a great game, entertaining and worth the price. However if you're looking for an RPG game where you can immerse yourself into the world as your own character with his/her own backstory, you'll be disappointed. I find it very difficult to role-play in this game as in the back of my mind I know I'm supposed to be playing a frantic mother/father thrown into a post-apocalyptic world looking for his/her son. Since he/she is voiced, I hardly even think I'm playing as my own character. I feel as if I'm playing Bethesda's character with tweaks to the physical appearance, the skills and the name.

Also, from what I've heard, there aren't any obviously evil quests in this game ala 'The Power of Atom' in Fallout 3. You can't be a slaver, you can't decide to join some raiders who want to ruin a settlement's day. At the worst, you play as the disgruntled, snarky anti-hero who will still do the right thing. Yes, sure, outside the story you can still murder and steal as much as you want, but within the quests? You're just...kind of a jerk who insults people.

Dialogue option? Oh dear God. Oh dear God, don't get me started on that. So far it's like a downgraded version of Bioware's dialogue function where you've got four options: Snarky/sarcasm, nice, mean, or asking for clarification. And sometimes it doesn't match what you think the character should say either by the words or the tone in which the character speaks them in. Any way you slice it, you don't get the varied options you got in Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas.

It's still a fun game, don't get me wrong, but damn...it's not really the best of the Fallout games, in my mind. Here's hoping Elder Scrolls VI doesn't repeat the same mistakes...

26. Erez Kristal

Erez Kristal Member

I played more of the game, reached far down the storyline and seen most of the world.
    I am lowering the grade to 5. In a game like this it seems the more you play the lower the grade gets.
    When I first played it started a 8.5 or 9. It was pretty good and fresh, with a few occasional hiccups. But the more I played the more repetitive the side missions felt, the more lifeless the world sensed.
    That last nail in the closet was today when I finally got around to play more of the main story, the lack of decent dialogue is overwhelming, you have no ability to say or ask things that are accepted in such situation, your character dialogue options are mostly foolish and the cringy dialogue mechanics make it very hard to anticipate what your character will say.

The thread skeptic had it right, its not a good game, despite its improvements in shooting mechanics and the interesting yet underwhelming settlement building experience, the whole game feels extremely lacking and shallow.

123456789 likes this.