1. Berber

Berber Active Member

Fantasy Novels and Sequels

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Berber, Jan 26, 2012.

Alright, there's something on my mind that is kind of irking me at the moment. I have been working on developing the plot for a new fantasy novel almost nonstop for the past couple of months. Finally I begin working on the first draft when a thought enters my mind: This has no potential for a sequel. And, honestly, I don't really feel the need to force my plot into a series; however, my concern is that I cannot think of a standalone fantasy novel off of the top of my head - not a single one! Of course, I jump to staple fantasy series such as Dragonlance and The Lord of the Rings, but I'm feeling a certain frustration that fantasy seems to equate series.

Is it not possible to create a plausible fantasy world and reach a resolution within that world in the context of one novel? Would the reader miss something if I do not bother to explore my creation beyond one book?

I would love if someone could post an example of a standalone fantasy novel to sooth my frustration.

(And, of course, I understand the monetary value in creating several books, but I would hate to draw out the story for the sake of money.)

2. jc.

jc. Member

I understand that the norm for fantasy authors is to write a book with the intention of later turning it into a series, but I don't necessarily think it's set in stone to do that. Personally, if I read an amazing book of ANY genre and fell in love with the world, its characters, etc, I would definitely cross my fingers for a sequel.

However, quality is far more important than quantity. When it's all said and done, I would much rather have read one amazing standalone book that makes an impression on me than finish a long, drawn out story and feel unsatisfied.

Do what you have to do.

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

There are tons of stand-alone fantasy novels.

Tigana, by Guy Gavriel Kay
    Also by him, A Song For Arbonne, The Lions of Al-Rassan, Last Light of the Sun, Ysabel, and Under Heaven.

Legend, by David Gemmell

Elantris, by Brandon Sanderson

War of the Flowers, by Tad Williams

War for the Oaks, by Emma Bull

Stardust, by Neil Gaiman
    Also by him, Neverwhere.

The Hobbit, by JRR Tolkien (a stand-alone, though set in the same world as LotR, and with some characters in common).

The Last Unicorn, by Peter S. Beagle

The Princess Bride, by William Goldman

Fire, by Kristin Cashore
    Also by her, Graceling

The Anubis Gates, by Tim Powers
    Also by him, The Drawing of the Dark

The Anvil of the World, by Kage Baker

That's just from looking at my shelf.

4. Berber

Berber Active Member

Ahh, thank you Steerpike!

Could not for the life of me come up with any titles and now they are glaringly obvious. Consider me soothed - had a panicked moment about marketability. I have only read a couple from your list; I look forward to researching the others.

5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

No problem! I think stand-alone fantasy novels are great. I'm at the point where I'll hardly buy a book in a series until the series is done :)

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

No new novelist should be thinking about writing a series anyway. Focus on one damned good, stand alone story.