Favorite Character You've written?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by CrossWiredGarden, Oct 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Denegroth

Denegroth Banned

My favorite character accidentally conquered and united China in the year 201, which then fell back into disunity and chaos upon his untimely death, caused by succumbing to a disease from pestilence he contracted as he traversed through a remote, captured province on his way to accept the surrender of the last warlord standing; most likely typhus.

2. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

It is the word "accidentally" which intrigues me the most :D

Welcome to the site!

3. Yarghanine

Yarghanine New Member

I'm writing a mystery set today, so my characters sound pretty boring compared to all the cool fantasy ones I've read about in this thread. I love my protagonists, but I've had some great fun with some of the secondary characters as well. The main guy's best friend for example. He's a really tough, tall gay man who plays rugby and is very confident and well-spoken. But the nicest thing about him is that he's a very, very loyal friend who puts my main character in her place when she comes fishing for information about her love interest's past. Infodump averted.
    I try to give them quirks that destroy the first impression I created. There's a paediatrician who smokes like a chimney, a beautiful, elegant concert pianist who talks like a drunken sailor and my main guy, who's a architect with a love for the finer things in life, actually wanted to join the RAF when he was younger.

I always research the hell out of their jobs and hobbies too even if they are rather mundane. No matter how minor the character, I really need to know how they function. I guess all that effort is the reason why I end up liking them all so much. (And as an added bonus: I picked up quite a bit of new interests too!)

4. Nicolle Evans

Nicolle Evans Member

A character called Liette who is blind and can't speak aloud. She's a herbalist and healer and I love the challenge that she presents to me in the way I have to write her communication.