Favorite Characters

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Gigi_GNR, Jul 8, 2011.

1. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Adolescent spirit? How 'bout Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer?

Oh, and while we're talking about great characters, Captain Ahab and Queequeg come to mind.

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I'll join the crowd on Atticus Finch. I first read "Mockingbird" when I was 14, and since then, he has been my ideal for what a father should be. Some others:

Santiago, from Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea. "Man is not made for defeat".

Tony Fry, from Michener's Tales of the South Pacific. Didn't make it into the musical.

Bob Munson, from Allan Drury's Advise and Consent. A good man who did a terrible thing, and thereby the most realistic character in the novel. Walter Pigeon didn't do him justice in the film.

Phineas Finn, from two of Trollope's Palliser novels, Phineas Finn and Phineas Redux.

Lewis Eliot, from C. P. Snow's Strangers and Brothers series, and particularly The Masters.

Barney Greenwald, from Herman Wouk's The Caine Mutiny Court Martial.

Major Stovall, from Sy Bartlett's and Beirne Lay's Twelve O'Clock High

Katherine Brandt, from Moises Kaufman's 33 Variations.

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

When I was like 15 I was obsessed with the Georgia Nicholson books!! :) (Also Phyllis Reynolds Naylor's "Alice" books, a U.S. equivalent of Georgia)

4. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Alice from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is also a great character. Sort of. She really doesn't do much and certainly don't evolve much, but she definitely left an impact on me. So did most of the characters, come to think of it.

5. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

^ Same here. Just such a colorful, awesome set of characters.

6. Lost_in_Thought

Lost_in_Thought New Member

I use to live in a Igloo, but it melted :)
    I like Katniss Everdeen of the Hunger Games for her harsh yet realistic nature. She is one of the most believable charaters I've ever read about and her charatcer is so deep too. Primrose is also lovable. Gale is one of the better characters in the book (until the end). I wish Katniss fell in love with Gale instead!
    I love all the the characters from the Harry Potter series. Especialy the eccentric Luna Lovegood.
    Gemma of the Dark Life by Kat Falls is an intressting Charater because of the life she lived and how she would do anything for her older bother who turned out to be a crook. I Also like Ty in this book to. He is just so intressting and secretive yet awesome in his own way.
    I also like Mary in the book The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. Shes so dark and depressing. But I love her because of her wanting to control her own life! But this book has such a sad ending.
    I also like more characters from different books but then I would be sitting here typing for hours...

7. Gigi_GNR

Basically every character in Harry Potter. :D They're all so amazing, so real, and they stay with you after the books are done.

8. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    I forgot one:

Sandor Clegane, whom men call The Hound, from GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire. Bad-ass.

9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Tuco, from The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. Memorable!

10. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

Seth Grahame-Smith's fictional Abe Lincoln stands out in my mind as a great character.

11. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

-Shivers from Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie
    -Captain Shane Schofield from Ice Station, Area 7, Scarecrow and Hell Island.
    -Aragorn from Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tolkien
    -Polgara from The Belgariad by David Eddings
    -Cara from The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind

Theress alot more but I cant remember them all at the moment.

12. Gigi_GNR

Rose and Jack from Titanic. I'm cheesy. :redface:

13. Ursus_Buckler

Ursus_Buckler New Member

Skulduggery Pleasant from the series of the same name by Derek Landy. A thick veil of bravado, confidence, amiable arrogance, humour and vanity hiding a truly tortured and destructive soul fighting to do the right thing.

Carlo Guercio from Captain Corelli's Mandolin- a homosexual soldier doing his best to hide his true nature, a man that lives, breathes and dies for love.

14. NikkiNoodle

NikkiNoodle Active Member

Reepicheep from the Narnia Series; who doesnt love a butt kicking,fearless, yet very honorable mouse?

Scarlett O'Hara; how can I detest someone and still care about them? How Margaret Mitchell managed that one I still havent figured out, which also leads me to...

Melanie Hamilton; she was just SO GOOD. Honest and brave and loyal. *sigh*

Sam Gamgee; he's the REAL hero, IMO.

Edmond Dantes; even his thirst for revenge couldn't tame his softer side.

Jamie Fraser; I have to admit, I fell in love with him when I read Outlander.

15. Drusilla

Drusilla Active Member

I don't really have "favourite characters", since all characters have some flaws that I don't like.

Here are some characters that I like:

Jean Valjean (Les Miserables)
    Ford Prefect (The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy)
    Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, Albus Dumbledore, Rubeus Hagrid, Severus Snape (Harry Potter)

I don't like Snape in the same way that I like Sirius and Remus. I like Sirius and Remus because they are loyal, caring, giving characters; humans that you can rely on in every situation that cares about you with all their heart.

It's more like I have a fascination with Snape's character.

16. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Hard to beat Snape for loyalty, though, isn't it? His loyalty is put to the test more than any character, it seems.

17. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

All from the House of Night series:

Zoey Redbird she is your average teen who has a lot of stress and responsiblities thrown at her at once. I respect her because no matter how frustrating everything gets, she stays strong and keeps going.

James Stark he is just your average hotty. 'Nuff said. ;)

Stevie Rae Johnson she is a great example of sudden attitude change. And even when getting her humanity back, she still is not herself. I respect her because she has went from Zoey's little side kick to being a leader of her own.

Aphrodite LaFont she is your average insert another word for female dog here that always got her way and thought she was better than everyone else. But upon meeting the guy of her dreams and hanging with Zoey more, I respect her because she had a change of heart.

18. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Frank from The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks (Because I swear I've met him before)
    Esther from The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (Because she's a woman after my own heart)
    Newt from Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut (Because he's just so utterly original)
    Annie Wilkes from Misery by Stephen King (Because she's the most realistic psycho-bitch i've ever read about)
    Nabu from Memoirs Of A Geisha (Because his brooding nastiness made him the ugliest Darcy character I've ever had a weird crush on)
    Hatsumomo from Memoirs Of A Geisha (Because she's the most convincing bitch I've ever read about)

I'm sure I'll think of more. :D

19. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

Tyrion Lannister ------Grey, grey, grey, every shade of it, a villainous hero, or is it heroic villain.

Severus Snape------ He was the way he was because of his childhood love, such an ironic character

Estella (Havisham?)----- the only reason Great Expectations is my favourite Dicken's book of all time.

Edit: But to be honest I almost want to make a list of every character in a song of ice and fire. Martin's story can be tedious at times but boy can he create characters. They all bite.

20. Gigi_GNR

Agreed. He's a pleasant surprise in the series, a character that has more to him than you'd think from the first book alone. I love him.

21. Drusilla

Drusilla Active Member

Yes, and I admire him for that. But I can never love him in the same way as Sirius and Remus for the way he treated Harry and other students. He is not the kind of person you can turn to in any situation........

I love him too, as a character, but not as a person. He is a fascinating character with many sides, although you never know where he stands, until the very end.

22. Protar

Protar Active Member

I reckon Tyrion Lannister is one of my favourite characters in literature. I feel I can relate to him sometimes and he's generally just an interesting character.

23. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Oh hell, I have to add Satan from Paradise Lost.

Non serviam!

24. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

I have many characters that I love from literature. But with work, ect. lately, I have only one that's sticking out in my mind...Puddlegum from The Silver Chair (A Chronicle of Narnia). I liked him because just as the enchantment was about to overtake him and two other children he was with, he mustered the strength to extinguish the fire out, spoiling the evil queen's plans.

25. Gigi_GNR

I'll add Peter and Lucy to the Narnia characters too, because they're the ones who always believed in the magic and never really gave it up. Edmund annoys me after a while, and Susan is one of my least favorite characters in the series.