Favorite Children's Book

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Garball, Feb 20, 2014.

1. FlareWarrior

FlareWarrior Member

All of the Berenstain Bear books. I remember getting into so many random debates with my mom while she read them to me ("the sun does make people sneeze mom!").

minstrel likes this.
  2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

The sun certainly makes me sneeze. Same with my dad. It's an inherited thing.

3. TheSmiler

TheSmiler Member

When I was a child I didn't read that many books kinda stopped after I was about 6 however the most memorable books that I still go back to read are as followed.
    Toms midnight garden - Philippa Pearce
    Abomination - Robert Swindells

4. Lilly James Haro

Lilly James Haro The Grey Warden

When I was a kid I think the only books I ever read were the Rainbow Magic books, Pony Pals and the Heartland books.......
    If it didn't have ponies or fairies in it, I wasn't interested.

5. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

The Two Who Stole the Moon - I don't think most people here readit, but I loved it. There were other books I also liked, but if I remember one book, it was this one

6. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

Alice in Wonderland, without doubt.

Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a cat in a tree.
    "Which road do I take?" she asked the cat.
    "Where do you want to go?" was his response.
    "I don't know."
    "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

outsider likes this.
  7. BookLover

BookLover Active Member

I remember my favorite movies and TV shows, but I can't recall any favorite books before the third grade. :rofl: Geesh, that's sad.

But in the third grade a teacher read Wayside School is Falling Down aloud every day. Love, Love, Loved it! Louis Sachar became my favorite author after that. My favorites of his were all the Wayside books, There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom, and Sixth Grade Secrets.

A few others stick out from that same time period. I'll try to remember their titles. Definitely can't remember their authors.

This Island Isn't Big Enough for the Four of Us!
    Shoebag
    M.E. and Morton - by Sylvia Cassedy (Woo, I remembered an author's name!)
    Bridge to Terabithia and The Great Gilly Hopkins - both by Katherine Paterson

These are, of course, all books with chapters. I can't for the life of me remember childhood picture books. (Actually I vaguely remember reading Green Eggs and Ham as a child and maybe some Berenstain Bear books. Oh, and Clifford! Yes, Clifford! It's coming back to me now. Clifford was my favorite.)

[​IMG]

As an adult I taught preschool for a bit, and I now have a bazillion favorite picture books.

The Napping House (and all of Audrey Wood and Don Wood's other works)
    A Soup Opera by Jim Gill
    Everything by Robert Munsch (Hilarious and the children love it too! The Paper Bag Princess is my favorite of his.)
    Some of David Shannon's books like Alice the Fairy
    Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse (And everything else by Kevin Henkes)
    Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown

I'll stop or I'll be here all night. ;)

8. Kaitou Wolf

Kaitou Wolf Active Member

What amuses me from when I was a kid is that I used to refuse to read Goosebumps because they scared me to pieces, but I read Dracula when I was in, what, second grade? And I read Animorphs long before that (which is scarier as an adult then it is when you're a kid because you pick up a lot more). Other than that, I read the Wishbone books, Gulliver's Travels (a more kid friendly edition, I'm sure), and I think I read some of the more child friendly Sherlock Holmes books.

9. deviouspooka

deviouspooka Member

I love children books. Probably more now than when I was kid. Lol. My favorite children books to read/ to be read to were: Dr. Suess books, The Frog and Toad books, Is Your Mama a Lama?, and the Beatrice Potter stories. More recent children books that I like are: One Cool Friend by Toni Buzzeo, Duck! Rabbit! by Rosenthal & Lichtenheld, Stellaluna by Janell Cannon, Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes, and A Moon in Your Lunch Box by Michael Spooner (a collection of children poems).

10. Mr. Write

Mr. Write Member

From my childhood, my favorite was Pickle-Chiffon Pie by Jolly Roger Bradfield. The story was great, the illustrations were even better. When my kids were old enough I went online and bought each of them a copy.

From my daughters' childhood I though Super-Completely and Totally the Messiest by Judith Viorst (author) and Robin Preiss Glasser (illustrator) was a superb combination of story and illustrations.

11. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Most of Dr. Suesse, and Mars Attacks: Martian Death Trap (though technically not a kids book).

12. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

For Babies/Toddlers

1. "The Pout Pout Fish"
    2. "Brown Bear, Brown Bear"

For Preschool

1. "If I Had a Dragon"
    2. "How do Dinosaurs Say 'Good Night'?"

All Ages

Any of the Dr. Seuss books. There were others I've read recently for a former job that I loved, but I can't remember the names off the top of my head. As a kid I don't remember reading many children's books outside of Dr. Seuss, but I was also reading at an 11th grade level by the time I hit fifth grade so I was reading books for people a lot older than I was.

I really dislike that book. What made it worse was that I worked with kids and a couple of them loved it so I read it to them fairly frequently.

13. Bobby Burrows

Bobby Burrows Banned Contributor

[​IMG]
    Count Munch by Michael Salmon
    About a chocolate eating vampire...

I bought this and other books I remember from the 1990's in 2015 so I actually bought this one for my own nostalgia and have this in my library.

However, on my library of books for my paid for app where I scan it and add by sortit, I'm not shy about all the adult books in my library, but I haven't got my children's books... There's not much, just this, Garfield and The Simpsons... won't find them on my library that's public.

14. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I guess The NeverEnding Story, by Michael Ende. I saw the movie first and loved it (even though I was about 24 years old then), so I read the book.

I still have a big soft spot for Kipling's The Jungle Books and the Just So Stories. But Kipling fascinates me no matter what he writes.

15. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I realised, when I entered this thread and started thinking about it, there is no way I can narrow down my 'favourite' childhood books. I'm an old fart, and will turn 70 next summer. Nearly all of the books mentioned on this thread came 'after' my time.

I read voraciously as a child, and could already read when I started school. I remember always skipping to the back of the Dick and Jane books on the first day, to read the fairy tale stories that were usually included at the end. I used to bring books to school and hide them under my desktop, to read while 'reading' class was going on. I was always being called up short by the teacher for 'not paying attention,' and not knowing where my place was when time came for me to read out loud to the class.

My favourite category of books was: folk and fairy tales (the classics, mostly, as well as any stories based on them). But I also loved stories involving dogs or horses or wild animals. Thornton W Burgess's stories about woodland animals were favourites. Nancy Drew and Agatha Christie mysteries ...I read them all many times when I was very young, but then lost interest in mystery as a genre. Books about early settlers and the west ...although I never liked formula Westerns. But I read LM Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables to death (although I never read the sequels), as well as her 'Story Girl' stories. Laura Ingalls Wilder—many many re-reads of that series. Fred Gipson—many many re-reads of Old Yeller. Will James. The Borrowers, by Mary Norton. I also loved stories set in medieval times, and read most of the classic authors who dealt in these. I was given Beatrix Potter books, but oddly enough, didn't find them terribly engaging as stories, although I loved the pictures. Since moving to Scotland, I've become acquainted with the word 'twee,' which is an accurate label for these stories ...except maybe for the very young? I didn't dislike them, but they didn't absorb me either.

When I was very little, I remember the Little Golden Books. I had a huge library of them. Dr Seuss, whom many on this thread have mentioned, didn't come along till I was a little bit too old for him. I think the only Seuss story I read as a young child was "Horton Hears A Who." However, my sister, who is five years younger than me, had a big collection, and I remember reading them out loud to her and we both enjoyed the experience. I do remember Uncle Wiggly, though. That probably dates me!

Gosh. So many many books....

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    GingerCoffee likes this.