1. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Favorite Place to Visit?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lordofhats, Jan 17, 2008.

Everyone dreams of taking a trip somewhere right? See the world, vacation somewhere new that sor tof thing. Where is a place you've always wanted to visit or a place you enjoyed visiting?

I loved England. We were stationed there for three years and it was great. Lots of places to see, things to do, loads of historical sights.

France was ok though the service at all the resturants we went to took forever. My dad told me Normabdy was really cool and I'd love to visit that palce sometime. I'd also like to visit Germany or Italy.

2. Montag

Montag New Member

Unfortunately I've never been out of Western Australia, so I don't know that many places. My favorite however, was a place called bunker bay in Cape Naturaliste down in the south west. It is a spectacular place, and I plan to go back there soon.

I would love to see New Zealand, Tazzie, and maybe Canada, England and Scotland too. I'm getting kind of sick of all the deserts and the heat here...

3. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Hmmm, I'd really want to travel to the orient, mainly Japan, because I've always just dreamt of being there. It also comes from my child hood love of Godzilla, so I could tour all the places he's blown up. lol :D

4. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Scotland's nice. Loch Ness wasn't all its craked up to be though.

Japan would be cool. Its just so darn expensive to get there. I think we looked up ticket sand their like five thousand bucks per person. Oh and GODZILLA is COOL. I loved him as a kid. I still have all his movies (The ones avaliable on DVD anyway).

5. ValianceInEnd

Yeah, to go to Japan is rather pricey. And I still love Godzilla with all my heart. lol I've seen all 29 of his movies, plus the rubbish American Zilla.

6. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I have never left Western Australia myself, though I am hoping that in the next 24 months I am going to be able to go and visit a few of my friends over in the UK.

Unfortunately instead of going for a couple of months, as intended, I am only going for a couple of weeks. So will not allow much time to sight see and visit everyone, but still it would be lovely and hopefully we will be moving over there in 5 - 10 years time now.

7. ValianceInEnd

Why'll you be moving to the UK?

8. Torana

I have family over there, my mother is originally from over there.
    I love Australia but at the same time I don't wish to remain living in Australia either.

So I am hoping and praying that things go according to plan over the next few years so my family and I are able to finally leave Australia and move to the UK. I'll hopefully be living around the Great Harwood area.

There are a million and one reasons why I wish to move over there, but at the moment I am too lazy to write them all out. :p

9. ValianceInEnd

Oh, that's cool. The UK is a nice place, though I've never been there. I talk to friends from over there. Hope the move works out for you! :D

10. Torana

Thank you very kindly ValianceInEnd, I hope it does as well. :)

11. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

I have many. Off the top of my head right now:

Rwanda, Africa - the country is picking itself up after the 1994 genocide and looks simply stunning. I'd love to visit the gorillas. Also, a great climate.

Yellowknife, NW Territories, Canada - supposedly the best place to see the Aurora Borealis.

Banff and Jasper National Parks, Alberta and British Columbia

The Everglades, Florida, United States

The Florida Keys

Basically, in a couple of years I'm taking a year off to backpack through the safer parts of Africa for safaris and cultural experiences. Then I'll be heading up to Anchorage, Alaska and take the highway into Canada to visit the Rockies and finally come down through the US, finishing in Florida. I can't wait.

Strangely enough, the UK, Europe and Asia hold no interest with me. I think it all looks rather dull and depressing, excluding some parts of Southern Asia (e.g. Malaysia).

12. PrincessGarnet

PrincessGarnet New Member

I'm reading a book about eastern Africa and the pirates which used exist there, it's quite interesting and since I've done a module on Politics of Africa I'm getting more and more interested in the continent. Only problem is I have a fear of big giant insects :S

Also I have been studying Spanish for 5 years and I started learning it after becoming really interested in the Incas, and Peru in general - i just realised that seems a bit strange since the Spanish kind of destroyed the Inca Empire. So I'd like to go to Peru, and well Spanish speaking south america, quite interested in Argentina. Oh also Cuba interests me, but I can't get there by boat :( and i don't travel by plane so maybe have to wait until it turns to capitalism, but it would be more interesting to visit now.

I'd like to go to Finland, Germany, France (Paris :D ), and Russia again. Also want to go to Seville/Sevilla in Spain looks really beautiful, and not been to western Spain.

Oh Louisiana, Alabama- I like the names :p and maybe Texas. Also want to see if all those stereotypes on american cartoons are true.

Also want to go traveling around the north of Scotland and visit the western isles. I have been thinking of learning scottish gaelic so it would be interesting to hear it spoken.

OH and Caribbean islands :) , sorry i'm eventually going to mention every country, but I recently read Dracula and I am going to go to Whitby, England where some of it is set, so that's somewhere new i guess. Don't know when i shall visit the rest :(

13. ValianceInEnd

Lol, basically all the places you read about that you'd want to go, but never have enough money to. I hope someday you manage to pull it off though. :D

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Favorite places I have visited (all in the United States):
    Acadia National Park on the coast of Maine. I love the ocean, especially the rocky coast, and Acadia also offers non-technical climbing opportunities as well. Cadillac Mountain in the middle of the park is the highest mountain on the eastern seacoast of the US.

San Francisco, California. The weather is ideal (for me), and the air is fragrant, between the many eucalyptus trees, and flowering almond, etc. Not far to the south are incredible redwood forests.

Phoenix, Arizona. Hot and dry, this city surrounded by desert holds a special stark beauty for me. Although the heat can be daunting, I actually have found it to be less oppressive than the stiflingly humid summers in the Boston area. Not everything is barren, though, there is some variety as well in the area.

Where I would most like to visit:
    Anywhere off-world. Unfortunately, I have grown up a century or so to early to have much chance at fulfilling this dream.

15. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

That's the most depressing thing I've heard all day.

16. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Japan. Italy. America. Ireland. France. Bali... among a few others.

Places I love visiting in WA is Albany, Bunbury, Busselton and Perth. I also like visiting the weatbelt area of Pingelly and Corrigen- both because of Family. I also like Frankland because it's a beautiful place. I like the countryside and seeing the rolling green hills, the bushland and the creeks that look like they have been carved out of the earth by a dragons claw. I like hearing the magpies and the various other bird call out. The crickets in summer and the frogs. The creeking of the karri trees. Although, you should never sit under a Karri tree (or any other for that matter) on a still day. Dead branches just drop and we call them Widow makers. Don't know why you shouldn't sit under a karri to get shade on a windless day but yeah, something that my dad told me I guess and it's stuck.

So anyways, those are the places I like to visit. I'm lucky enough to be living around some of the most beautiful countryside that I have seen.

17. Tori

Tori New Member

I'm quite surspised that a lot of people want to visit the UK. I live in the UK so I never really thought about it as a cool place to visit!

Anyway, I'd like to visit India, China, South Korea and Japan. Anywhere in the east really.

Japan is the main place I want to go. I'm studying Japanese at the moment and have been offered a place at a university to study it. A part of the dgree course is that you go to Japan for a year to study at a uni there. So, hopefully I'll be going to Japan in a few years time!

18. ValianceInEnd

Ah, beatiful Arizona. I love living here, but truely the heat is no where near as bad as everybody makes it out to be. You get used the couple of months its hot, but the winter is actually fairly cold. But, our winters are t-shirt weather for those from the east.

19. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

for some reason i haven't fathomed, i've been able to go to almost all the places i've ever wanted to see... and to even live in some of them!... probably my favorite of all and where i'd like to have 'retired' even more than here, is mykonos, greece, where i stayed for 6 weeks twice and visited for shorter periods several times...

20. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Greece would be fun to visit. There's gotta be loads of things to see and do.

I just thought of it but I'd really like to see Jerusalem someday (Temple at the Mount anyone?). Sadly the TV doesn't paint a nice picture so I'm thinking I'll wait.

21. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i was there way back before it got to be a hotspot... was much like a lot of other places, not much different from any other desert-girded town in the near/middle east...

22. Montag

Montag New Member

You're right, the country areas of WA are really nice, I have family just south of pingelly, and my parents have a farm down near bridgetown, which is an awesome place. Plus when I was younger we travelled all over the state, especially in the south. I loved it. Want to see more though, of course.

23. MarcG

MarcG New Member

Actually, I spoke with a few high school students from Israel and aside from the compulsory gun-toting bodyguard for groups, there really is nothing to worry about. It was actually really interesting - kind of funny to note how they saw nothing strange in a man walking down the street with an M16, since they're required to spend several years in the military once they graduate high school. You have more to fear from the fast (and sometimes very bad) driving in Jerusalem than anything else.

Personally, I'd like to go to Russia, Japan, the rainforests in South America, and possibly a tour of the Middle East and lower Asia. I love to experience other cultures and a nice bit of scenery certainly helps.

When I spoke to the Israeli students, two Army recruiters who had spent a great deal of time (one of whom had volunteered to deploy to Iraq twice) were also present. They talked about what they did, which was pretty interesting. They weren't running around shooting and getting shot at as much as the media tries to say. They would go around, organize trash cleanups, pass out toys, and the like. What was most astonishing was how much the children appreciated them - they held "trash for toys" days and would pass out garbage bags and trade a toy for each full bag, and there was one little boy that spent HOURS running back and forth with bags of trash. That was definitely interesting - especially how the kids would respond in turn, and let them know of anyone doing anything suspicious, and generally most of the population was glad to see them and help if they could. They had things like neighborhood watches and the 'elder' of the community would always invite the soldiers and their interpreters to tea. I really liked getting to see the other side of the story.

I think the one drawback of going to Japan would be a certain sense of awkwardness, since I'm fairly sure I'm larger than probably 99% of the Japanese people. :p

24. mcjessi11

mcjessi11 New Member

England. I left my heart there.
    And I agree that Greece would be amazing to visit. I'm currently learning Greek so I can converse once I go there. :)

25. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Nature-wise, I loved Ontario in Canada and both islands of New Zealand.

In recent years I've seen lots of places in England I had never bothered/ had the chance to visit. It's often the people that pull one back. I find Bath and the surrounding areas quite charming. I could imagine living there. I feel such a difference in mentality whenever I go there, compared to where I live not-quite-in-London.