Favorite quote from your main character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by HollowOwl, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Amanda Hendrix

Amanda Hendrix New Member

You are exactly right. :)

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

Dragomir: [Archangel] Michael is borderline incapable of thinking for himself and Lilith is not going to hold back as long as he keeps trying to kill her daughters.

To Lily after Michael tries to persuade her Dragomir will be the death of her.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

"Go and fuck yourself with a barb wire wrapped dildo, you cowardly yellow piss bucket" FMC Keri expresses feelings to the odious LT "Topsy" Turvey

Fernando.C and Skye Walker like this.
  4. Taylor Saville

Taylor Saville New Member

My protagonist Harper in reference to his childhood :

“Honestly, when I think back to it, it feels like looking into a black hole. Where everything that went into it just disappeared and never came out on some other side.” He paused to take yet another nervous drag on the cigarette, and continued after exhaling. “I just don’t have happy memories, I guess, but there are worse things to not have. Like legs.”

Stormburn likes this.
  5. Miscellaneous Worker

Miscellaneous Worker Member

The scenario is a dark magician and a "Hero" talking. The dark magician, named Reeves, is showing the Hero one of his hundreds of servants: robed beings with shadowed masks that wander with over-sized sleeves and participate in their work silently. One of them come over to Reeves to hug him, and he says:

“It’s amazing, these soulless things; I don’t know how they can love me so much.”

I never realized it until a long time after writing the story, but with as many characters that are declared "soulless", including the main character, they show more emotion than anyone else in the story. It just made me sad to think they had good intentions because there was no future for them once their death came.

6. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

Another one I really like:

A bully threatens my MC before a game of lacrosse.

"Oh, and remember, Vanna. Be prepared," she finished darkly.

Personally, I thought this made her sound like an over-invested boy scout, but, due to Daphne being Daphne, I chose not to mention this.

7. hirundine

hirundine Contributor Contributor

From my notes, and unedited...

SIGRUN: How did you manage to get enough alcohol to get that drunk?
    JOEL: Looting. Also Bernhard's room. But mostly, looting. (He starts to giggle). Murder, looting, drunk and disorderly... I'm a pirate.
    SIGRUN: You can't be a pirate. You have too many limbs.
    JOEL: Bugger. I didn't think of that.
    SIGRUN: Well, I could cut one of your legs off if you like.

Stormburn and socialleper like this.
  8. socialleper

socialleper Member

"Father of Sin?” Darrien scoffed. “How nice it must be to blame someone else for your misdeeds. The gods can’t control mortals and force them to act against their true natures. All the darkness of the world comes from what lingers in the hearts of men.”

“And you would have me believe that your patron does nothing to encourage that darkness?” Deidre said.

“I would have you believe that the gods do what is convenient for them,” Darrien retorted. “Including being able to offer their followers a wellspring of beneficence while pinning anything evil on gods with unpleasant functions. For all the dispersion cast upon the Punisher, remember that while the institutions of mortal justice may fail, he never does. All sins come due.”

9. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    This isn't exactly a quote, since it's not in dialogue, but when my close-third MC glimpses the depths of her boyfriend's narcisissm, she realizes :

edit for poor phrasing

10. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Amy: You know, there's a word for the good guy who feels bad about bad things happening, but who wishes he was a bad guy so that he wouldn't have to feel so bad about it.

TBD: Yeah, what's that?

Amy: The bad guy.

11. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

A quote from my TDS MC dusty just after he has taken out a sentry "and then I put my hands to my mouth and hooted like the world least convincing owl"

12. GB reader

GB reader Contributor Contributor

Sometimes our characters go live, they say things that You didn't write.
    I did not se it coming, it was just dialog.

Flash fiction SciFi.

We are on earth (Huntsville, Texas) it's around the year 2060. Our MC sits in front of the media unit screen, he is alone but of course Homey, the artificial location personage is always present.
    This below is actually an exact quote what I wrote.

"Homey, show me the live entertainment calendar."

"I can tell you what's there."

"Don’t tell, show," says Fred.

Iain Aschendale and Cave Troll like this.
  13. malaupp

malaupp Active Member

You have me intrigued for the rest of your story.

14. Simpson17866

... I actually haven't come up with a good place to use it yet :oops:

15. malaupp

malaupp Active Member

Damn. It sounds like the perfect conversation between an anti-hero and his nobler counterpart.

16. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

You should join us in the Character Chatroom. I love Amy.

17. Simpson17866

... Not what I expected, seeing as Amy's a Card-Carrying Villain protagonist :p

I've been trying so hard to come up with something that she and her friends would have to say in response to everything else so far :rolleyes:

18. malaupp

malaupp Active Member

Well that changes everything. xD

Simpson17866 and Oscar Leigh like this.
  19. malaupp

malaupp Active Member

Oooh, where is this chat room?

20. Simpson17866

It would help me use it more easily if I could just remember what I was thinking about when I came up with it :confuzled:

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  21. Simpson17866

Wait, I remember where I came up with that line: she was arguing with me!

And winning :eek:

So I've been wondering for a while how much of her and her best friend's Card-Carrying Villain schtick is a defense mechanism: maybe she and Alec stopped taking pride in thinking of themselves as The Bad Guys, then maybe they would start to feel guilty about the things they've done, and maybe they could've stopped being the bad guys, but now they've lied to themselves for so long that it's become the truth. It's not who they really are, but they've tricked themselves into being that way for so long that it doesn't matter anymore.

Then it occurred to me that she probably wouldn't care even if she was trying to trick herself into being comfortable with death and violence that she otherwise wouldn't have been. She's read everything about psychopaths and serial killers that I have, and she would tell me that David Berkowitz tried to stab two women, only to get sick to his stomach before being able to kill either one of them ... so he started shooting people instead of stabbing them, earning the media nickname "the .44 Caliber Killer" in addition to his own preferred codename "the Son of Sam." The fact that he was physiologically uncomfortable with stabbing people did not positively reflect on him as a moral person, and Amy would tell me the same thing about her and Alec having to work themselves into being comfortable with their lives of sociopathic violence.

When I originally came up with her, I did not expect her to be this convincing :bigmeh:

22. NoGoodNobu

NoGoodNobu Contributor Contributor

"You sent assassins after me!"

{Depiction of her dramatically storming in you don't need to read} Nadette stepped back, startled. "You look different—taller?"

He frowned down at her, replying absently, "Well I hadn't been expecting you."

This matter-of-fact response galled her. "You sent four assassins to kill me!"

"Well, you weren't talking to me."

"I wasn't talking to you?!"

"Yes, you weren't talking to me. Is that really a revelation to you? Because I had been under the impression you had been doing so intentionally."

"And your idea of a good start to a conversation is putting out a hit on my head?!"

"Not ideal, I'll admit, but clearly effective."

23. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

I assume it's a comedy. Worked for me, was fun.

24. NoGoodNobu

NoGoodNobu Contributor Contributor

It's not particularly a comedy—but it has a lot of quips, banter, and absurd humour throughout. I'm not sure I'd call it drama either, although it has that in spades. Maybe a dramedy?

Anyway he actually legitimately hired assassins to kill her (knowing they couldn't) and I just personally found his response amusing.

Simpson17866 and Pinkymcfiddle like this.
  25. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Not so much a quote, more of inner monologue, but still kinda fun. :p

After spending the remainder of yesterday off sight seeing and doing all the things one does when in London. Well I suppose most would not have their picture taken as they molest a Royal Guardsman, but hell it was fun. They really do not move no matter what you do. Though I did rather enjoy trying, I think I got him to blush a little when I pecked him on the cheek. Leaving my puckered lips on his statuesque face in the process.