1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Favorite quote from your main character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by HollowOwl, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Amanda Hendrix

Amanda Hendrix New Member

You are exactly right. :)

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributing Member

Dragomir: [Archangel] Michael is borderline incapable of thinking for himself and Lilith is not going to hold back as long as he keeps trying to kill her daughters.

To Lily after Michael tries to persuade her Dragomir will be the death of her.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose Contributing Member

"Go and fuck yourself with a barb wire wrapped dildo, you cowardly yellow piss bucket" FMC Keri expresses feelings to the odious LT "Topsy" Turvey

Skye Walker likes this.
  4. Taylor Saville

Taylor Saville New Member

My protagonist Harper in reference to his childhood :

“Honestly, when I think back to it, it feels like looking into a black hole. Where everything that went into it just disappeared and never came out on some other side.” He paused to take yet another nervous drag on the cigarette, and continued after exhaling. “I just don’t have happy memories, I guess, but there are worse things to not have. Like legs.”

Stormburn likes this.
  5. Miscellaneous Worker

Miscellaneous Worker Member

The scenario is a dark magician and a "Hero" talking. The dark magician, named Reeves, is showing the Hero one of his hundreds of servants: robed beings with shadowed masks that wander with over-sized sleeves and participate in their work silently. One of them come over to Reeves to hug him, and he says:

“It’s amazing, these soulless things; I don’t know how they can love me so much.”

I never realized it until a long time after writing the story, but with as many characters that are declared "soulless", including the main character, they show more emotion than anyone else in the story. It just made me sad to think they had good intentions because there was no future for them once their death came.

6. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Member

Another one I really like:

A bully threatens my MC before a game of lacrosse.

"Oh, and remember, Vanna. Be prepared," she finished darkly.

Personally, I thought this made her sound like an over-invested boy scout, but, due to Daphne being Daphne, I chose not to mention this.

7. hirundine

hirundine Active Member

From my notes, and unedited...

SIGRUN: How did you manage to get enough alcohol to get that drunk?
    JOEL: Looting. Also Bernhard's room. But mostly, looting. (He starts to giggle). Murder, looting, drunk and disorderly... I'm a pirate.
    SIGRUN: You can't be a pirate. You have too many limbs.
    JOEL: Bugger. I didn't think of that.
    SIGRUN: Well, I could cut one of your legs off if you like.

Stormburn and socialleper like this.
  8. socialleper

socialleper Member

"Father of Sin?” Darrien scoffed. “How nice it must be to blame someone else for your misdeeds. The gods can’t control mortals and force them to act against their true natures. All the darkness of the world comes from what lingers in the hearts of men.”

“And you would have me believe that your patron does nothing to encourage that darkness?” Deidre said.

“I would have you believe that the gods do what is convenient for them,” Darrien retorted. “Including being able to offer their followers a wellspring of beneficence while pinning anything evil on gods with unpleasant functions. For all the dispersion cast upon the Punisher, remember that while the institutions of mortal justice may fail, he never does. All sins come due.”

Stormburn likes this.
  9. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Unanimity requires compliance Contributor

This isn't exactly a quote, since it's not in dialogue, but when my close-third MC glimpses the depths of her boyfriend's narcisissm, she realizes :

edit for poor phrasing