Favorite quote from your main character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by HollowOwl, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Senior Member

Thanks, man.

Oscar Leigh and EdFromNY like this.
  2. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Senior Member

It's semi-autobiography, kinda. It's a short story. In real life, the event that caused this actually involved my aunt and uncle (who I live with), not mother and father. I changed some of the elements, dialogue, and characters, but most of it holds true.

CerebralEcstasy likes this.
  3. Xboxlover

Xboxlover Senior Member

I write from pain as well. A lot of my character display things I've gone through or people I've seen hurt in my life.

4. Mayarra

Mayarra Banned

"You entrust me with adult responsibilities. Just where does that sentence make sense to you? Let me rephrase your wish. You, a responsible adult, want to entrust the adult responsibilities to me, the least adultiest adult to have ever adulted."

5. CerebralEcstasy

CerebralEcstasy Active Member

Currently Reading::
    The 5AM Club, Robin Sharma
    I think you've captured it well. When I read your post I thought, this is or has been part of this individuals life. Didn't want to mention it here since I was trying to stay on topic, but since its out there.....I'd like to acknowledge the authentic feel of your post.

Now, back on topic for me. Just wrote this still not sure if it will make the cut but its interesting, at least to me.

EVA's my ships AI. Named after a machine I worked with in real life that was a temperamental piece of work. She and I had 'many' a discussion about her seemingly flawless work in non critical times, and then complete and utter chaos at the end of a long day on a Friday - ALWAYS. (Her name is actually Eva M. Braun the MBRAUN is a class of thermal evaporator, and Eva stands of course for evaporator and yes, I do think she could have been Hitler's mistress...so the irony is not lost on me.)

Love alberta nano.jpg
    Eva and I, in better times....

God? EVA queried.

EVA fell silent. It was obvious SO Skye had suffered some catastrophic brain damage. EVA scanned Skye discreetly.

Yes EVA God. You know the Creator of the universe? With a cocked eyebrow, Skye looked at EVA’s mainframe.

"Are you scanning me!?!"

EVA responded by lying. I am examining the file you as you instructed SO Skye.

‘Lying heathen’, muttered Skye under her breath.

6. LasriCat

LasriCat New Member

I have several random bits of bants like this in my story. I'm only new to writing, but this random bit is the freshest from it (AKA, I haven't grown to loathe this scene yet, ahaha.)

Emily looked up from her desk, "Wow, you're training is coming along nicely."
    Alexis snapped around and glared at her, "Hey. None of that."
    "No, I'm serious. Unfortunately I see you shirtless quite often, and there is definitely a bit more heft to you."
    "Hey -- Hey -- Hey. That's a privilege, you're welcome."

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

"Welcome to Apocalypse Springs, asshole. We like it here."

8. Len Downing

Len Downing New Member

"What do you mean, no?" Amy said. "Escaping is not the sort of thing you say no to. In fact, I'd say it's one of the few universally good ideas."

"First time on death row?" Nightingale said. Reluctantly Amy admitted that it was. "You'll get used to it. They never actually kill you in the morning. Safest place in the world, death row."

9. CerebralEcstasy

CerebralEcstasy Active Member

Currently Reading::
    The 5AM Club, Robin Sharma
    I'm not much for vulgarity, but this.... this is pretty funny.

Sclavus likes this.
  10. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Marckus; “You are the worst hostess I have ever met. You know that?"

CerebralEcstasy likes this.
  11. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

Thank you. My main character swears more than I do, though to be fair, he also gets shot at and beat up more than I do, too.

Fernando.C and CerebralEcstasy like this.
  12. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Glorious! :superlaugh::superlaugh:

13. hirundine

hirundine Contributor Contributor

This (unedited, but written in the timeline) gem from Ragnar, on the difference between eruptions in his native country and the one my characters are about to experience:

“Back home, we’re used to volcanoes. We have so many that when one of them goes off, we say oh crap, there goes another one, and then we just get on with our lives. But this… It’s going to be bad. They’re not going to know what hit them. Even at a safe distance, they’re not going to know what hit them. People are going to die. And there won’t be anything we can do to help them.”

14. ghostkisses

ghostkisses Member

"Can't a woman commit mass murder in peace?"
    "Keep your long and agonizing death moans to a minimum, yeah? Some people are trying to make phone calls here! Sheesh..."
    (she's wearing someone's ripped off face) "They always said that copying was the highest form of flattery."
    (whilst licking blood off her lips from a person that just got horrifically slaughtered before her) Hmph... Needs more salt.

Quotes may change. But I legit worship everything that comes out of my bb's mouth... Yes, I call my murderous ocs my babies.

15. Randy Zak

Randy Zak New Member

A little language incoming. I've censored the worst of it for you. This character is a very rough around the edges type.

Her guard sputtered indignantly. "You can't possibly be serious to hire him, my lady! He's a thug, a criminal, at best! And at worst…"

"I would hire the devil himself if he could retrieve my son," she cut him off firmly.

"I wouldn't," I smirked, shrugging my shoulders. "He's an ass to work with and my rates are better."

"Gotten any good d*ck lately?" I saw the glimmer in her eyes as she teased me. Gods, why do I put up with her?

"Been a little busy, Ev. Not had a lot of time for personal stuff."

From behind me, a shocked voice cried out "You're GAY?!" I turned and saw Simon's jaw hanging slack, the look of surprise on his face almost comical.

I threw my hands up in the air. "I'm a f-ing murdering chimera type thing that you can't figure out the origin of. You've seen me disembowel assholes left and right, watched me fighting hoards of monsters every day of my life, and THIS is what you're appalled at?! Yes, Simon, I'm gay. If THAT is what pushes you over the edge about me, then you are even more twisted than I am!"

16. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

"What do you think, Dad?" Halloween shows her father the finished Halloween costume.

"Hmm...Not Dad, not Dad at all" He says.

"You mean bad, Dad. Not bad at all."

"That's what I said, honey."

"No, you said "not Dad" instead of "not bad."

"You're hearing things. Time for school, to the Dad-mobile!"

*sigh*

17. Mayarra

Mayarra Banned

"There, you scared him off... Your ugliness really knows no bounds."
    "It does indeed. It's an everlasting curse called 'being your twin sister'"

18. hirundine

hirundine Contributor Contributor

"Even elves need money to live on." - Anja.

izzybot likes this.
  19. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

"You lied to me!"

"I know. I'm the one that did it."

20. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

This thread always makes me laugh. I love it. One of mine:

[On being offered a hand to shake.] I didn't want to touch him. I didn't know where he'd been.

21. Mayarra

Mayarra Banned

"Take this [to your date], you will need it."
    "Why would I need a condom?"
    "No one would date you for your personality."

22. Fernando.C

Fernando.C Contributor Contributor

This made me laugh so hard :D.

Trish, MythMachine and Oscar Leigh like this.
  23. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

From one of my stories about a rock star's rise to fame. The rock star is on the road and is desperately homesick and can't sleep after a show. He knocks on his manager's door seeking advice. Manager answers in his underwear with:

"Are we being sued?"
    "No..."
    "Then it can wait. It's two A.M., Dave. Either go to bed, or go get laid. Either way, get the [eff] to bed. We've got Chicago tomorrow. Goodnight!"

24. Mom2PruQ

Mom2PruQ Senior Member

He paused and looked towards the ground. “An artist creates.” His eyes lifted to catch mine. “I don’t create. I destroy.”

25. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

(Now for something completely different . . . )

The MMC is suffering a fit of jealousy over the FMC's former lover. The FMC speaks:

“What I want to say— what I want you to know, is . . . Eric?” She touched his face, the texture of his beard under her fingertips arousing sensations that tore at her heart.
    He captured her fingers and kissed them.
    “Eric, you are talented, and brilliant, and beautiful, and I admire you more than you’ll ever know. But if something happened and you couldn’t draw another line, I would still love you. If something— God forbid!— happened to your mind and you couldn’t put two sensible words together, I would still love you. If something came between us and we had to separate, maybe for years, I would still belong to only you. I’d go on loving only you and praying for you and wanting only what was best for you. N
    ow do you understand?”​