Favorite quote from your main character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by HollowOwl, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Pepsik

Pepsik New Member

This is from my villain who is speaking to my hero

”When people are given no other option but to give up everything they once loved and replace it with what they perceive as a nightmare, they will sharpen their claws and show you their teeth. Only then will you realize when it's time for you to show them yours.”

Another in the same conversation

”When villains and chaos are no longer part of the natural order of things...that's when people should be closing their windows and locking their doors.”

And another from the same conversation

”Do you want to know why I do what I do? It's not for power, hell it's not even for revenge.... Some people may call me the bad guy. Some may call me the villain. But when you think about it, who are the heroes without people like me? We both want the same thing, and you see, I like to believe that I'm doing my part.
    While you, mr. hero, show the world a light that gets dimmer everyday. And when it comes time to change the lightbulb as it flickers with the fear and the distrust that these people have for you....it might already be too late... How many of you heros does it take to change that light bulb anyway, hehe?

How will the world know when to change when there aren't people like me to force it to? My dear friend, we live in a time where keeping the peace requires two sides of one coin. One side to assure the world that everything will be ok, and the other side to remind them of the world we live in. I kill people for you, buddy. I destroy lives so that you may show them the way to a life without people like me, to tell them that everything...will be ok..Hehehe...

Do you want to know why I do what I do? Well, I'll tell you. It's to simply keep the peace.”

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  2. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

"Did you just lose track of a 15 trillion ton destroyer?"

3. HelloThere

HelloThere Senior Member

"I find that the less people have to say the more they tend to speak."

4. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

“I majored in History, but I went out with a Psychology major for a few semesters. She analyzed me constantly so I suppose I picked up a few things. But I do like people, I like watching them and you've been one of my targets. That came out creepy.”

5. Chiv

Chiv Active Member

I haven't actually managed to fit it into a story yet, but I plan on having one of my characters say something along the lines of "The ability to make moral choices does not make us angels. In the end of the day, we are all demons in one way or another."

6. Ritrezer

Ritrezer Member

Villain: You think you can beat me boy? You think you're special? You're weak. You already lost twice, it is only be mere chance that you managed to survive. Don't mistake luck for power boy, you will lose as you have done before.

Hero: You're right, I am weak. I can't beat you, not alone anyway. And I did lose. But I lost because I tried to do everything myself, just like you- that's why I lost. But not this time, I have my friends- Where I am weak, they are strong. I may just be one weak boy, and I can't hope to beat you alone. But together we are strong, even than you- You're the weak one. This time, we will not lose- we will beat you.

7. Slade Lucas

Slade Lucas Member

In this my main character is being threatened by a bully and who says “So what? What’ll you do to me? You couldn’t hurt a fly.”

His response is one of my favourite lines so far:

“Maybe not with my body, but with my mind and my tongue I can scar a million men,”

I also like one of the things my villain says about the fact that he has been under lock and key for his whole life with all the comforts he would want but not really any life:

“You treat me like a king but you do not treat me like a human."

8. Chris Maloney

Chris Maloney New Member

I have two favs, both by the same character;

“My names Valeria Storm, you don’t know me, I'm in those reports you’re not allowed to read. I need to get over the border.”

“Please don’t tell me you’re in charge? No? Then shut the f*** up”

9. EllBeEss

EllBeEss Senior Member

"You stole this?" Dacie turned the almost new coat over in her hands.
    "Of course I stole it. Now shut up, put it on and be grateful."

10. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

"Knock it off! That one hundred thousand credit costing airlock isn't to be used as a beer can ejector!"

Cave Troll and Lilly James Haro like this.
  11. nippy818

nippy818 Senior Member

Main character's mentor as they look upon 3 warships from their shuttle pod
    “Ryan that's what remains of the 509th. That is all that is left of the Titan Defense Fleet of the old system. The men and women of which will never have their names in the history books. Their heroism will never find its ways into poems or songs and yet as they perish the remnants of what it meant to be Canaanite goes with them.”

12. Myo

Myo New Member

"We trained for nothing. The team we designed for this war has betrayed us and now we have no fire to weld the rest of us together... we are falling apart. I never thought this was possible. The world I was part of is now gone.

13. Morristreet

Morristreet New Member

Got a few from my works I'll toss into the blend...

“When we stop following the simple rules of warfare, we lose the grip on civilization that binds us together. We have to have rules that we live by, even in war, or it becomes a slaughter. We are Clan Camelin, and we do not slaughter.”

“You've been drinking wine all evening, you're all dry and bubbly, my Aya.”

"You are my best friend, Kya. You are also my Lari'Sota, and my first love. Tell me what is troubling you before I strangle you."

At this point, this tiny scene is my most favorite from the Center Worlds. A concubine who has the right to refuse, exercises it ... “I.” She firmly gripped his hand. “Am.” She lifted his hand clear of her arm with a startling show of strength. “Not.” She twisted his fingers hard enough to make him wince. “Available.” She released him and he fell backwards into the burly chest of a palace guard who had come as soon as Kya had signalled, discretely.

14. HollowOwl

HollowOwl New Member

I haven't implemented this into my book yet but it reflects how i feel toward people who bug me about how quiet I am. Eventually I'll put this in my book.

Someone asks my MC why she is always quiet.
    "I find I don't like to blab about the annoying, useless topics that fill the brains of most young adults. If I have something to say to you, I will damn well say it, now get out of my face."

15. SpiderCraft

SpiderCraft New Member

"No worries."

He says that a lot.

16. Yellowcake

Yellowcake New Member

Just to set the scene. This is where the spirit of my villain is using his acid burnt corpse as a puppet while riding in an ambulance with an unwitting female police officer.
    -----
    Leaning Closer she heard the faintest of whispers from the broken vocal chords.
    "Nice tits love." Then a hand shot out, grabbing her by the shirt.
    -----

ddavidv likes this.
  17. Novice InkSlinger

Novice InkSlinger New Member

The thought of the main character toward his crush, "They were short, simple words, yet their warmth simmered deep within his heart. She was his first love, his only love, and he could not believe anyone would be able to replace her. Yet, just now with Ellain, how did he felt so… in love?"

18. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

Two girls have been kidnapped and taken to what appears to be some kind of prison, labor camp, or medical test facility. One of them has already been there a few days, so she's no longer a crying, panicking mess, but the newer girl has just woken up in their cell (just two bunk beds and a hole on the floor as a toilet, i.e. no privacy) after being sedated for transportation and is crying from shock and fear.

Marty: "Um, could you cover your ears and cry a bit longer? I gotta take a shit."

19. Zane Night

Zane Night New Member

20. Zane Night

Zane Night New Member

You had me laugh at "be grateful".

21. Zane Night

Zane Night New Member

Shinji stood up.
    “Even if you’re not standing next to me, I know you will stay in my heart."
    He looked up at the night sky.
    "Ojiisan, I’ve decided. I will continue my training. I’ll become a swordsman you would be proud of, I promise”.

Quote from my work in development: Shinji -- Samurai In-Training

22. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

I wrote a Hunger Games fanfiction recently. One of the characters has just been Reaped and when one of his visitors asks him how he's doing by way of awkward conversation, this is his reply:

“Oh, terrific,” I said, trying to keep my voice down. “You know, I spent the last two years going to school with the slugs, and getting the crap kicked out of me by people who couldn't even write their own names, but yeah. Things are just peachy. See how much better they're getting?”

23. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

MC (who is a jaded former deputy): "That classy attitude of yours will get you killed out here. To the wolves, you're just a glorified hunk of meat with two legs and a fancy suit. Heck, they may even swallow that nice pocket watch you have. You'd be surprised at what you can find in their stomachs."

Person (a rather wealthy business man he found): "Yeah? And with your 'I don't give a shit' attitude, you're a walking sack of rotten meat in a duster and torn clothing. If you can't find it within yourself to give a shit about others, how could you expect them to start doing that for you?"

MC: <blinks> "...Are we really discussing meat and personality?"

Person: "Hey, you started this, so you finish it."

MC: "You're right." <walks off>

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  24. pirate1802

pirate1802 Member

One of my MC, who is a cynical arsehole, lectures his potential protege:

“If you want to reach the top of the social ladder, prepare to get your hands dirty. Clean people never go far. Society generally ignores people who are quiet and meekly ask for their share. Make a lot of noise and they sit up and take notice. Never ask for your share. Snatch it. Make a spectacle out of it. And suddenly people will respect you.”

From another MC:

"A sufficiently quick googler is essentially indistinguishable from a scholar."

25. Flynn C.

Flynn C. New Member

"Oh, but yes... Death comes for us all." - Demetrius Della Rosa

There was a little context which I put here :D: http://cello1993.deviantart.com/art/Memento-Mori-432166290

It would make more sense if I told you that they, like vampires, don't really die from longevity. But what's the fun in that? =P