Favorite Quotes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Miller0700, Mar 31, 2016.

1. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

[​IMG]

2. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Humorist Bugs Baer on Damon Runyon:

"There wasn't a time when Runyon wouldn't throw a drowning man both ends of the rope."

3. Xander17

Xander17 Hermit Archetype Supporter Contributor

Double post so here's a quote.
    Actually, 'cus I had to do a factory reset on me tablet and all my backed up files won't reinstall and I've yet to transfer my notepad files from me phone, I'll have to go old school and type them.

There may be some repeats...

"Everyone makes mistakes. In fact, highly successful, creative people make more mistakes than th rest of us because they're always trying new things and searching for better ways to do them. The difference is thy look their mistakes squarely inthe eye, learn form them and move on. So cut yourself some slack and accept you are not perfect." - Harry Bloomfield

"The greatest mistake a perosn can make is to be afraid of making one." - Elbert Hubbard

"After all these years I am still involved inthe process of self-discovery. It's better to explore life and make mistakes than to play it safe. Mistakes are part of the dues one pays for a full life." - Sophia Loren

"More people would learn form their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them." - Harold J. Smith

"Failure is the key to success; each mistake teaches us something." - Morihei Ueshiba

"Courage is daring to take a first step, a big leap, or a different path. It's believing that things will ultimately get better even as they get worse. Courage is being responsible for your own actions and admitting your mistakes without placing blame on others. It's relying not on others for your success, but on your own skills and effort. It's taking a dream and doing anything, risking everything, and stopping at nothing to make it a reality." - Caroline Kent

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw

"It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgement, but to adhere to it when it's discovered shows infirmity of character." - Dr. Dale E. Turner

"If we don't forgive ourselves for our mistakes, and others for the wounds they have inflicted upon us, we end up crippled with guilt. And the soul cannot grow under a blanket of guilt, because guilt is isolating, while growth is a gradual process of reconnection to ourselves, to other people, and to a larger whole." - Joan Borysenko

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  4. Xander17

Xander17 Hermit Archetype Supporter Contributor

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - H. Jackson Brown Jr.

"Not all who wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien

"Learning without thought is labor lost; and thought without learning is perilous." - Confucius

"All our words from loose using have lost their edge." - Ernest Hemingway

"Those who enjoy the greatest lives are not extraordinary people, or even ordinary people with something added. They are not necessarily the wealthiest or most professionally acclaimed. Those who sparkle with aliveness are ordinary people with nothing taken away. They have not lost their wonder of the moment. They cherish the presence of a friend; they marvel when a child takes their hand. They find a gift in each moment of living." - Mary Manin Morrissey

"Who gets up early to discover the moment light begins? Who comes to a spring thirsty, and finds the moon reflected in it? Who, like Jacob, blind with grief and age, smells the shirt of his lost son and can see again? Jesus slips into a house to escape enemies, and opens a door to the other world. But don't be satisfied with poems and stories of how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth, without complicated explanations." - Rumi

Some Guy likes this.
  5. flawed personality

"Were it not for hope, the heart would break." - Scottish Proverb

Oscar Leigh, Xander17 and Cave Troll like this.
  6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hm. Let me get this straight. Most men's hearts are broken by women (ref. any number of traditional Scottish ballads). Therefore hope, to be effective, must be a great woman-repellent. But men, being pigs, are usually pretty repellent to women anyway. Maybe hope is simply the absence of deodorant. Research on this needs to be done, preferably by drunken poets. They usually get to the bottom of things, in all senses of the term.

7. flawed personality

"The first 65 years of marriage are the hardest."
    "The next 65 years will be much easier. We'll be dead for most of 'em."

8. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

"I love you, and because I love you, I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." - Pietro Aretino

"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us." Henry David Thoreau

"Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown." - William Shakespeare

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner

"Tragedy, for me, is not a conflict between right and wrong, but between two different kinds of right." - Peter Shaffer

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  9. flawed personality

"...We don't pick who we fall in love with. And it never happens like it should." Alvin, No Strings Attached.

"Being the One is like being in love. Nobody can tell you you're in love, you just know it...through and through...*" The Oracle, The Matrix.

*edited off the last section, as @Some Guy pointed out. Just my personal preference. :p

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  10. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

What happened to the "balls to bones." part?

flawed personality likes this.
  11. flawed personality

Left it off, cos I felt that it takes away from it. I've now edited the original. :p

Some Guy likes this.
  12. Some Guy

It's just the way she said it in the movie. It had that "soul" in it...

Xander17 likes this.
  13. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I can't call this especially quotable, but I decided to re-read Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke and came across this in the forward:

Some Guy likes this.
  14. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

Dr. Shari'ati was a famous Iranian revolutionary ideologist and the master of university. He passed away about 45 years ago. He was a scholar and knowledgeable character and I confirm some of his words, nonetheless, he had a wrong idea along with his Islamic studies that had a negative effect on his other right interpretations. So I can't confirm him as an Islamic character exactly.
    However, these are some of his quotes that I translated to English.

[​IMG]

The best translator is who translates silence of others! Maybe a bitter silence is the sign of a sweet love.

Ah, the ignorance of man how much bothers God!

We are the same that we are understood, so if we become free from realization of others (in fact) we have escaped from what we are!

For swimming opposite to flow of a river, power and daring is needed, and if not, every dead fish can swim in line with the river.

For living joyfully and comfortable nothing is needed except not understanding!

The great hearts and high affections create glorious and admirable loves!

My father chose my name, and one of my ancestors chose my family name; it is enough! I choose my fate myself!

Always be a migrant spirit to the origin; toward the place that can be more humanity.

How much is hard enjoying lonely, and how much is abhorrent watching beauties lonely, and how much is annoying misery being lucky lonely! Being lone in paradise is like being in desert.

Loving someone who is not deserve to love is wasting love!

Human is more than the life! Where the life ends, he will continue.

15. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

where your writing is container of sincerity, that point shakes human.

Artist can create guidance and give spiritual enjoyment.

Storytelling is a very good art. Good stories are builder of children's character; the same stories that we have heard from our mother, grandmother or other old women. Now, when we review them would understand how many good motto were in those stories. When we analysis some our characters we reach the same stories. Story is a very important thing; but good stories.

Whatever is mixed with art will become decorated and favorable, and finds glory and attraction, thus the hearts become eager for it.

Saadi and Hafiz ( two most famous theosophic poets in Iran and in the world) have also absolute romantic poems. It is not so that all their poems are theosophic.

A good book is one of the best tool for perfection of humanity.

Book is a gateway toward the vast world of knowledge and recognition.

Book is one of the most valuable production of man and is the treasure of greatest wealth of man that is knowledge and research.

[​IMG]

Ayatollah Khamenei, the leader of Iran

16. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Scotty Physics.jpe

Some Guy likes this.
  17. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    “We only have Jesus’ teaching when he was a young man. That is Christianity. Roman Catholicism is the religion Jesus would have taught had he lived long enough to be made a cardinal.”

-Peter De Rosa, Pope Patrick

Before you get offended, the book is a satire and the character who speaks the line is not a sympathetic one.

18. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

"If a man could be crossed with a cat, it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat."
    -- Mark Twain

Some Guy, Xander17, Malisky and 3 others like this.
  19. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    [​IMG]

20. Some Guy

"How greatly do the great ones die? "Do they die grateful, or with a whimper, or do they just die?"

Oscar Leigh and Cave Troll like this.
  21. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Time erodes the superficial, and enhances the true beauty. But to make
    the best of what you have in the blink of an eye is what is most worthwhile
    a lesson, for such a short stint in time.

22. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

James VI and I(first king of both Scotland and England), wrote a book called Basilikon Doron (King's Gift) for his first son, Henry Frederick, his original heir. In it he discusses his thoughts on the role of the monarchy and the principles he aspired to live up to. In one section, mostly focusing on the preferability of peace, and how to wage war responsibly if you had to, he advises to wear "light armour for running away". :D
    James was famous for Scottish bluntness and being kind of whimpy at the same time.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  23. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    "We walk like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the shit out of them both. Fighters by day, lovers by night, drunkards by choice, and Marines by the grace of God."

-anonymous

Some Guy, Cave Troll and Oscar Leigh like this.
  24. Some Guy

Not quite a cadence. :confused:

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  25. flawed personality

"Some days your mother and I loved each other, other days we had to work at it. You never see the hard days in a photo album, but those are the ones that get you from one happy snapshot to the next." Mr Leezak, Just Married.