1. Hunter56

Hunter56 New Member

Favorite Short Stories?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Hunter56, Feb 19, 2014.

There's always a few topics about favorite novels, I'd like to also know what everyone's favorite short stories are.

I haven't read a ton but you really can't go wrong with The Call of Cthulu.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I enjoy Lovecraft.

Among my favorites are Joyce's Dubliners and the collected work of William Trevor. Also, Alistair MacLeod's compilation Island, and Angela Carter's The Bloody Chamber.

Hunter56 likes this.
  3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The Death of Dr. Island, Gene Wolf. It's been made into a kindov' experimental film, but I've never managed to find a venue to see it. It seems like it never got released? Daniel Browning Smith (the contortionist dude that has the show with Stan Lee looking for real life super-humans) plays Nicholas.

Follow the link AYOR. There is male and female nudity.

http://www.doctorisland.com/index.htm

4. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I like Angela Carter's The Bloody Chamber - edgy, dark fairy tales, John Colliers collection - Fancies and Goodnights. He's marvelous and funny - genie's, mannequins, people who turn into flowers.
    The Middle Stories by Sheila Heti - quiet but packs a wallop. I love her mermaid in a bottle story.
    Girl Goddess #9 by Francesca Lia Block - she's ya and edgy but her prose is marvelous.
    Driftglass collection by Samuel R. Delany. His imagery is fantastic.

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

The first one that jumps to mind is Ernest Hemingway's "The Short, Happy Life of Francis Macomber." I also like Isaac Asimov's "The Last Question."

I'm sure there are many others, but frankly, I haven't read many short stories recently, and I have to dredge up some out of the depths of long-term memory.

Oh, and "Leiningen Versus the Ants," by Carl Stephenson. And when I was a kid, I read a story called "The Bamboo Trap" by Robert S. Lemmon, about a man sent to find specimens of a rare, very large spider. He falls into a pit. Good news! It's the spiders' home! Bad news - he can't climb out ... chilling stuff, if your arachnophobic like me.

6. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

One of my favorites, and not really because of the story itself, is Hemingway's Big Two-Hearted River. This story pitted me against one of my high school English teachers in an argument that lasted well after the bell.
    She insisted that whipping a fly rod back and forth was masturbation, unsheathing a knife was phallic, and sticking the knife in the log was a sign of impotence.
    I insisted she was reading way too much in a story about a guy fishing in his childhood honey hole(no, not sexual). It was my first time to call somebody misandrous.

Wreybies likes this.
  7. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

Bernice Bobs Her Hair by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Hands down. I always wanted to read it, finally did, and re read it!

peachalulu likes this.
  8. minstrel

Wow. What if the MC had been female? She'd still be fly fishing, right? Would it be masturbation in her case? She'd still have to unsheath the knife in order to use it. Would that be phallic? As Freud supposedly said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

Garball likes this.
  9. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Any one of the short stories in Dubliners and Lovecraft, Poe, and MR James are always safe bets for me. I like Hemingway's short stories much more than his novels I must admit, but my favorite?

It might actually be 'Up In Michigan' by Ernest Hemingway, and I'm not really sure why. I utterly love the feel of that story though, and I just adore the writing! Either that or 'Country Doctor' by Franz Kafka, which reads like a nightmare but there is something twisted in it that I love. Or 'The Whisperer in Darkness' by H.P. Lovecraft.

'An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge' by Ambrose Bierce is another one I really love, as is 'Bartleby the Scrivener' by Herman Melville. Consider those last two more as honorable mentions.

10. Patra Felino

Patra Felino Active Member

The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe.

minstrel likes this.
  11. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Two favorites:

We Can Get Them for You Wholesale by Neil Gaiman. Included in his book Smoke & Mirrors.

The Jaunt by Stephen King. Included in his book Skeleton Crew. I highly recommend this short story if you want a blend of horror and sci-fi.

12. Wreybies

[​IMG]

13. Hunter56

Hunter56 New Member

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge is one I was thinking about trying to get. Is it worth paying a couple bucks for?

14. Lemex

I remember a friend of mine getting into an argument with a colleague in front of his students about the Robert Frost poem 'Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening'. The teacher was adamant it was about homosexuality, where my friend (quite rightly I think) was adamant it was about death and contemplation of suicide. It's all a matter of perspective I guess.

I don't know what a couple of bucks translates out to into pound sterling, but it's a fine short story all the same. It's been very influential if you like the horror genre.

15. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I think Frost said on more than one occasion that it wasn't about death either. For example:

(Frost as quoted by Louis Mertens).

As late as November 8, 1962, when Frost received the Edward MacDowell Medal before a packed auditorium at Hunter College in New York, Louise Bogan, poetry critic of the New Yorker magazine who was present, reported that Frost insisted that “Stopping by Woods” was NOT concerned with Death, and gave a little scratch to John Ciardi. It’s the tune that counts, he kept saying.

Of course, art isn't confined to what the artist intends. What the observer takes is as least as important, if not more so.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    Lemex likes this.
  16. Hunter56

Hunter56 New Member

A couple of bucks = 2 or 3 dollars. Sorry about that :p

17. Lemex

Interesting. I must admit, Frost is one of my favourite poets. I just love his work.

Sorry, this is getting off topic. :p

Haha, yeah, I'm British. Sorry. :oops:

If it's not much then I'd go for it, go for it hard and fast and not look back!

Hunter56 and Steerpike like this.
  18. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

"The Interior Castle" by Jean Stafford. She's an underrated short story writer in that a lot of people haven't heard of her. But she did win the Pulitzer, so that's saying something.

19. minstrel

Damn. I forgot about Poe! "The Tell-Tale Heart" is one of my favorites, too. As is "A Cask of Amontillado" - wow, that one's creepy.
    Several of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories make my list as well, especially "The Adventure of the Speckled Band." Scared the daylights out of me when I was eight or so! And "The Musgrave Ritual", "The Adventure of the Second Stain," and others.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  20. Wreybies

Currently, $2 USD = £1.20 ;)

Lemex likes this.
  21. Hunter56

Hunter56 New Member

I'm not sure if this is even a short story or not but has anyone read The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen? And do you recommend it?

22. Hunter56

Hunter56 New Member

Anyone else like Short Stories?

23. Wowzie

Wowzie Member

I'm reading a collection of Guy de Maupassant short stories. He's ironically cruel towards his characters, and it's a fun read. I'd recommend "Rust".

Also, a Hemingway short story, "The Mother of a Queen", in which he defines, in his own way, what a 'Queen' is. I found it memorably entertaining.

24. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

"The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" by James Thurber.
    "The Devil and Daniel Webster" by Steven Vincent Benet

I like short stories that either have good wit to them, or something I can relate to.

25. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Call of Cthulhu, Tell-Tale Heart, A Cask of Amontillado, Leiningen Versus the Ants and The Speckled Band have already been covered, and I would like to add (though I am probably forgetting a few) :

Poe: the Pit and the Pendulum, the Black Cat
    Doyle: The Yellow Face, Five Orange Pips, the Blue Carbuncle,
    Lovecraft: At the Mountains of Madness, Cool Air, Pickman's Model, The Statement of Randolph Carter
    Other: the Most Dangerous Game, There Will Come Soft Rains, Hellbound Heart, the Monkey's Paw, the Lady or the Tiger