Favorite TV Shows

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gigi_GNR, Oct 17, 2009.

Tags:
  1. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

Stargate SG-1, up until the point when Jack leaves the show. His replacement is so disappointing that I can barely stand to watch any of those episodes.

Then there's Stargate Atlantis, and a little Star Trek here and there... I don't watch much besides sci-fi. :rolleyes: Oh, and Whose Line Is It Anyway. And MASH. Other than all this, I don't really watch TV.

2. Evil Flamingo

Evil Flamingo Banned Contributor

Completely agree. Especially about Stargate's downfall. Season five was pretty awesome.

3. arron89

arron89 Banned

Anyone see the fall finale of Glee? Amazing much?

4. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

Ever watched Battlestar Galactica? (The new one, I mean.)

5. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Favorite TV shows? Might want to get some popcorn... :p

1) Law and Order: SVU
    2) Law and Order
    3) Lost
    4) Chuck
    5) South Park
    6) Family Guy(im easily entertained)
    7) Joan of Arcadia
    8) x-Files
    9) Tru Calling
    10) Jericho
    11) NCIS
    12) NCIS: Los Angeles
    13) House
    14) Doctor Who
    15) Grounded For Life
    16) White Collar
    17) 24
    18) The 4400
    19) Stargate Universe
    20) Kyle XY

Hmm

I think thats it. They are in no particular order.

6. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

I tried, but it's too serious for me. I've always preferred generally lighthearted stuff, whether it's a TV show, a game, or a book.

7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I'm amazed how no one else knows about Twin Peaks. I love that show.

8. arron89

arron89 Banned

^ I know about Twin Peaks....and I'm pretty sure it's appeared on this list a few times...

Personally, I think it pales in comparison to the majority of his films, but as an experiment in what a tv show is capable of, its pretty interesting.

9. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

I only posted the shows I'm actively following now (all 2 of them). I have Twin Peaks on DVD.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Oh, I know of it. I have had the first season on DVD for years, so yes, I am more than a little surprised they have waited until now to release the other season.

David Lynch is genius. He also needs therapy! ;)

11. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

House. Cannot be beaten. :D

The only one cooler..... (SUNGLASSES) is Horatio Caine.

12. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I'm still awaiting the Session 2 in my area. It's coming soon.

And yeah, David Lynch is weird, but he's a crazy genius. :D

13. Dreaming Ashes

Dreaming Ashes New Member

The only show I've really been keeping up with is Dexter. Love our friendly neighbourhood serial killer. xD

14. Jaybrownuk

Jaybrownuk New Member

At the moment I'm really into Fringe. :D

15. kyle777

kyle777 Member

Fringe reminds me a lot of the X-Files, but maybe that's why I like it so much. That or the fact that J.J. Abrams is behind it. Ever since I was enraptured by Lost, anything of his is a must see for me.

16. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Abrams has been hit and miss for me. On the plus, Star Trek was fantastic. But Lost was confused and a mess, and he directed the god-awful Mission Impossible III.

17. Agreen

The season finale of Dexter was just... wow. Even with a few rough spots, I think this is the best season of any show I've seen.

18. Kas

Kas New Member

I completely agree. I knew they'd have something big in store for the finale, but I was not expecting that. Now the wait for season five. . . Damn them!

At this point, I think the show has easily surpassed the books, which is almost unheard of.

19. Agreen

I agree, there were many ways I could have seen this episode unfolding, but I was still caught by surprise. The wait for next season is going to be worse than ever.

With the books, I'm happy the show went in another direction after season 1. They feel like different narratives.

Also, not sure if this is the right place for it, but here's some more thoughts on the finale. Obviously, if you're reading this and have not seen the finale yet, please do not click on the spoilers.

Just before I watched the finale, I was talking with a friend about this season and the show in general. We ended up talking about Dexter's character and wish fulfilment, and how the show's only glaring flaw was that Dexter kept putting himself in ridiculous situations, taking actions and making mistakes that should have some sort of consequence, but which he always managed to escape.

The worst for this was season 2 with the Doakes situation- which until the very end was one of the best moments on the show. The episode where Dexter struggles with whether he should kill Doakes- a man who for all his flaws did not deserve to be murdered- or allow himself to be captured is one of my favourites. The deux ex machina of 'oh crazy Lyla killed him look at that moral dilemma solved!' was a huge disappointment for me.

So then last night happened. There have been times during the series where I haven't liked Rita's character, but the way the episode unfolded, especially in its final moments is one of the most moving sequences I've seen. Dexter looking with pride at the pictures on his wall- like the plaques on Arthur's commemorating his work for 4 Walls, work he used as a cover for his murders- looking out at the moon, then checking his phone messages, and hearing the other phone ring... The shot of Harrison sitting by the bathtub is my favourite in the series so far. It felt like the ending of the series, and I think it's going to mark a transition to big changes next year. It's too bad there's no more John Lithgow.

The thing I found most interesting this season was the relationship between Dexter and Arthur. While Miguel's scenes were entertaining last year, Arthur felt like a much better match, as a teacher and an opponent. At times he seemed the opposite of Dexter, and others exactly like Dexter himself. I could have seen Dexter escaping, learning from Arthur's mistakes and living like his family is more than his mask. If he gets on the plane and joins Rita, it still could have been a satisfying, even natural conclusion. But the best moments to me were those in which Dexter and Arthur were parallelled. The Thanksgiving sequence, beginning at the table and ending with Dexter dragging Arthur into the kitchen is arguably the best scene in the series. That the season went so far to show that Dexter and Arthur were one and the same, with the only difference being the criteria by which they select their victims, I think this was the perfect ending. By indulding his own 'monster,' Dexter allowed Arthur's to devour the one way by which he could have been free. I'll be surprised next year if Astor and Cody aren't living with their grandparents, at least for a while. I think the Dexter family project is over.

20. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

I'm a big fan of Weeds, Desperate Housewives, and Lost :)

21. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Weeds! I just recently started watching that, and I believe I'm on season 3 now. I'm really liking it so far. :)

22. eTronic

eTronic New Member

I'm an obsessed follower/fan of LOST. I can not wait for the final season to come!
    The writing/character development of the show is amazing and far better than any other serialized television show I have seen.

Other than that, I watch Fringe, South Park, Seinfeld, Family Guy, and have started getting into The Big Bang Theory and House.

23. Nathan Edwards

Nathan Edwards New Member

TV shows? There've been a couple that have piqued my interest of late. Supernatural, currently, is one of my favorite and has been something of an inspiration for my most recent writing project. More than being incredibly dramatic and macabre, there are also instances (sometimes entire episodes) that poke fun at the fact that it's a television show at all.

On the side, I've been delighted with bootlegs of 'Freddy's Nightmares'. Not the highest quality television show true, but it still has its moments.

Honorable mentions go out to House, Spaced, Red Dwarf and Sliders.

24. DownUnder

DownUnder New Member

The Simpsons, Law & Order, House.

25. Silver Random

Silver Random New Member

The Shield
    The Wire
    The Sporanos
    Prison Break
    Lost
    Dexter

24 and Prison Break are strictly the older seasons though - oth shows should have ended at least a season ago. Lost came close to going over the edge too, but its most recent season wasn't quite as bad as the last 24 and Prison Break. I've only seen seasons 1 and 2 of Dexter so I can't say anything about whether later ones took it beyond the shark for me or not.

On the comedy side I like quite a lot, Family Guy, South Park, Futurama, Simpsons, Friends, The Office (UK), Father Ted, Red Dwarf, and more.