Favourite Character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Anomally, May 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. LoneWolfSolace

LoneWolfSolace New Member

I have definate preferences, though I don't think I usually have one I strongly favor over the others. However, I do tend to have a handful of characters I really, REALLY don't like. Their numbers tend to dwindle as the story goes on.

2. Jinx1115

Jinx1115 New Member

Currently i'm only plotting my next Novel but usually my favorite character is the Main one. I created it, I guess I must like it. I also tend to like diffrent Characters after a few Chapters. But it always ends up being the Main Character at the end. Just like when I read books. It's always the Main Character.

3. zorell

zorell New Member

I have two favorite characters and I feel I've done them both injustices.

My oldest of the two is Dalinda who is usually referred to as "Dale." She's the MC of my story "Meeting Someone New" but I don't think I was good to her by putting the story through her crush's eyes and not her own. She's a twenty-something college student who finally figures out the big question in her life, only to break the heart of her true love. I love this Dale because I sometimes wonder if I'm writing about my own future with a different label, but we are a lot a like, and not intentionally.

My newer character in Chrys {aka Chrystine Waters, Diane Katerina Krolita, Chrissy Kat, and Kat}, an RPG character that I don't think is happy where she is right now. I have yet to expand her horizons. It's hard to write a story about an 18 year old who has not only a complicated past, but a cat's eyes, tail, hearing, and eyesight on top of other oddities. I love Chrys because she's the me I'll never get to be, you know?

Thanks for asking such a thought provoking question:)

4. WhoWatchesTheWatchmen?

WhoWatchesTheWatchmen? New Member

I created this character in hopes that I could forge a story around him. He is a young paralyzed boy whose past includes a nasty train crash. It left him with a full body paralysis save his neck and head. Now he's realized he has the power of telekinesis, and can use that gift to move his arms and legs despite mental strain. Too bad he sort of sounds like Xavier from the X-men.

5. blue_feather

blue_feather New Member

I do the exact same thing

My favorite character is Tsukichi Asane

The people of her village sacrificed her to Enma at the age of 6.She was labeled as a poison child because her mother was raped and she was the result of it.The entire village shunned her because she was a "poison child".Her mother died of typhoid since they were poor and lived in bad conditions. This forced her out onto the street to fend for herself and steal in order to survive.The village laid out a trap for her,using a warm home and a caring family as bait.She was then used as a sacrifice,being that "she didn't deserve the gift called life".She was cast into a shallow and freezing river where she died.Seeing this as a chance to obtain more souls in the underworld, Enma the god of hell, gave her the abilities of his ex-right hand demon and sent her back to earth in order to get revenge.Thus,the marks on her pale skin.

6. Ungood

Ungood New Member

Wow. This is a hard question for me.

I do not tend to have someone that is my "Favorite" as I like to keep them all on an even level.

I would have to say in my case it was not so much a character that like in the sense that I think they are cool or awesome,or amazing, nor I would like them as a person. However I would have to say my favorite one was a character called Tiegan. She was an imp in a High fantasy novel I wrote. She is my favorite only because I am amazed that I was able to write her and make her so real to me.

Unlike many of the other people around her, Tiegan came to life to me. I wrote how she explored this world and what she endured and in the end it was like writing the birth of life.

It touched me in a way.

Since her I have been able to truly touch the depth of some of my other characters and bring them to feeling life. But Tiegan, she was the first to truly come alive to me. I guess like a watching a child be born it affects you. Like your first real painting or your first real story.

Tiegan was the first character that I cried as I wrote her.

In a strange way she became special to me because of that, my favorite, like that old bunny doll. Nothing else comes close.

7. Iron_Seitz

Iron_Seitz New Member

Well, my favorite character right now is from my work-in-progress (The Connoisseurs). His name is Byron Sykes, a sarcastic and touchy Brit who was meant to be (loosely) based on Yours Truly.

With that said, the fact that he's my favorite character probably isn't an accident, but I never claimed to be impervious to self-adoration.

To go into a little more detail, Byron is a disguise expert. He has a distinct sense of fashion (his favorite hat is the fedora), and would like nothing more than to be left in a sun-baked room alone with a cup of tea and that day's newspaper.

8. DragonHeart

DragonHeart New Member

My "favorite" characters tend to be those whom I can relate to the most. Although every character I create is me in some way, they tend to embody the entire range of my personality and often beyond that, so there are naturally characters who are much more similar to me than others. I try not to play the favorite game too much, though. As an avid RPer I have a tendency to let one character run away with the story if I favor them too much. It can make revision...interesting, to say the least.

If I were to list favorites from all my projects I'd be here all day, but in my current project it's definitely Enki. He's an outcast, the product of an affair and later, heavy experimentation as a child. Even though he's branded as a monster, he tries to do the right thing, and bears no malice toward normal humans as he can understand their fear and loathing of his kind. He's actually afraid of himself and what he's capable of, so much of his life is focused on control, a precarious balance at best. His tight rein on his emotions isn't necessarily a good thing, either. In this aspect, he's as close to my own personality as is possible without becoming the dreaded Mary Sue/Gary Stu.

~DragonHeart~

9. That Guy From That Place

That Guy From That Place New Member

My favorite charter is my main character's consultant. He's not a consultant in a business sense, but every few chapters or so, my MC finds himself running back to him for advice. He's a little on the quirky/random side but is actually a genius. Throughout the story, he works on a novel of his own, and I use him as a way to let the reader discover my issues with writing.

10. Kio

Kio New Member

I have two books to finish, so here are my two favourites from my two books.

Book #1: My favourite character is a teenager named Cane Garcia-Vega who drinks when he is upset and explores his hometown alone as he daydreams, thinking of angsty things such as suicide and the need for freedom. Cane is emotional and passionate. He cries far more often than he laughs, he screams at the sky and pounds at the ground with his fists and yet keeps his cool while in public. In public he wears the facade of an emotionless, thoughtless biker who gets into fights with others. Cane is also rather suicidal since he fights to either live or die. He gets into bar-fights quite often because he can't keep his mouth shut about freedom, life and society when he's drunk. He gets into bigger fights with the main character, Ryu, who finds his drabble 'girlish and annoying'. Cane hardly gets into relationships, due to the fact that girls only like him because of his reputation as a 'bad boy'. He's not even sure he likes girls. Cane tries to find someone who won't see him as an accessory to gain popularity. His passion is riding on his motorcycle and takng in the view of lights and always being tempted to drive away from his life, to drive out of town and never look back. However, Cane is scared and always finds himself going back home where his dad would be too taken in with a woman that he snagged from work, someone other than his wife, and Cane would always curse himself for not running off.

Book #2: My favourite character in this other book is Rei Yoshii, a girl who takes great pride in her family back in Japan even though it hates her. Rei is half-Japanese due to her Father's trysts and, because of this, Rei is seen by her family as an inferior. Like Cane, she has a facade. Her facade consists of a happy, polite, attractive and intelligent young woman with one dream: to get married to a wealthy, powerful man, have his children and raise the sons to their greatest potential. However, Rei is actually angry, sadistic, power-hungry and promiscuous. She craves for her own empire, to conquer over the world with her above average intelligence and wit. Rei starts to drink when she's thirteen and gets into meaningless relationships with boys who are her age or older. The main character, Tala, is one of her few 'real' friends, one whom she verbally abuses just to show that she doesn't need anyone but herself. In reality, Rei needs others though she strongly denies this fact. Due to past events, she has developed a few personality disorders such as narcissism, paranoia, sociopathy and others that I just can't remember.

Sorry this post is so long, I just wanted to describe the two perfectly.

11. jman1217

jman1217 New Member

My favorite character in my writing is probably the main character of the series i'm currently working on, John Landon. I like his transition from who he was to who he is now. It seems so realistic and interesting. I also like how he deals with all of the tragic things that have occured in his life. Simply put, he's just awesome.

12. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

I have no favorite character. I have a lot of favorite characters that I like fairly evenly. Then I have characters I like, but just not as much. Then I have characters I just don't care about one way or another. And then of course, the final tier, the characters I outright hate, aka, the bad guys. lol

I have about, lets see, a good 6-8 characters that are my favorite characters. These are characters I really care about and sympathize with. What kills me is that I have to kill one of them off soon and that's going to hurt. I managed to write myself out of killing a fav twice now, but this third time I have to give in. But yes, I do favor certain characters. I like them all however, for different reason. Like Angela is just spunky and very catchy to me. Kyle and Christa are my young romance in the series and I think they work well together. Mason, Shane, and Danny are the trio of young lads in my story. Each of them sort of reflects a part of me so that is why I like them. So yes, I have a lot of favorites but certain characters are my favorite for different reasons.

13. draciaveil

draciaveil New Member

My favorite character in the book I'm writing now isn't a main character, and he's dead. He's the main character's father, though, so he's in a lot of flashbacks. I really never cared for him one way or another until the very end of the book, when my MC remembers him doing something incredibly heroic . . . so now he's my favorite.

Some of my favorite characters in published novels are Severus Snape, Vaylo Bludd in Sword of Shadows by J.V. Jones, and Sansa Stark in ASOIAF.

14. Adelaide

Adelaide New Member

I don't think I have a favorite. I like all of the people who star in my stories, or else I wouldn't write about them. I would find it too wearisome.

15. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

My favorite would have to be Ares. I created him in middle school and have been tweaking him ever since. He's the first indepth character I ever created.

16. kissmesweet

kissmesweet New Member

I've mainly focused on two characters over the course of the last two years. Blake is my most in-depth character so far as well as another called Cadence.

17. Lillias

Lillias New Member

I have a favorite for every story that I am writing. For my current story it is the main character Lia. I love her bratty selfishness and her thieving habits.
    I tend to like the anti-hero types . lol

18. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

My favorite would be the familiar of the MC in my current story. She's smart, strong, and beautiful, but impassive so everyone else question her decisions all the time.

19. Puzo44

Puzo44 New Member

My favorite character is probably the main man in my book about the Mafia: Mikey Garko.
    He's a joker who has a lot of friends and likes to screw around but he is as cold as ice and a heartless killer while on the job. He prefers to get the job done and has zero tolerance for nonsense and is extremely violent when angered but keeps his cool under pressure

20. Palimpsest

Palimpsest New Member

Like ChimmyBear I cut them out when favoritism begins to show... fanfiction writers call that kind of favorite character a Mary Sue, if I recall correctly and I do because I wrote oh so very very many of them (both original, and born to mangle canon) before I figured out why it was so awful.

So, nowadays I make an effort to favor the boring, extraneous-but-for-the-grace-of-plot characters-- like an animal favors a wounded leg. My current favorite is the nameless melancholy merchant who's the father of my main character and is the sole instigator of the Big Twist... or would be, if only he would stop sulking. :(

21. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

I'm really glad to hear that other people have favourite characters that they can't fit into a story!!! I've a horrible habit of starting novels but getting really stuck around 35k words and thus never finish them. I've two characters that seem to end up in everything I write in some way, shape or form! They're fun loving, red headed twins, brother and sister. No matter how big or small their parts, they always seem to be right at home among all the others!! :)

Isn't it weird how character writing always seem driven by them not you? Quite nice when they surprise you. (<-- today's musing as I sit here at my desk) :)

22. crimsoncannon

crimsoncannon New Member

I don't have one yet...

23. AJ Winters

AJ Winters New Member

Exactly what happens to me. :)

In a very early draft for my story, Gospol Salone (imagine Samuel L. Jackson) would drain power from others and would say things such as, "I've been feeding off his soul for the last few months now - and I happen to like the taste."
    He doesn't drain souls anymore, but he still delivers those sort of remarks. He is, at the moment, my favourite. :)

24. Cacian

Cacian Banned

all my characters are favourite.
    If and when I create a character, they are all perfect favourite. I am like that in real life. I don't favour people I would rather do favours to people, meaning I like all them or I don't and therefore this is carried out onto my writing too.

25. Lavender Soda

Lavender Soda New Member

I'd have to say my favorites are Togeth and Darius, the friends/enemies of the main character, Jamal. They actually can't stand Jamal, but they let him be their friend since no one else likes the poor little guy either.

I like Togeth because he's highly intelligent, quiet, and doesn't let any emotions get to him. He's just the neutral character, not good or bad. He never has any lines since he's mute and most of the time, he's just standing there with a blank expression on his face (He's sort of like how I am around people!) Most of the other characters don't even notice Togeth, but he doesn't care, for he is but a loner.

My other favorite, Darius, also sort of resembles me..aside from his psychotic behavior. He is very intelligent, geeky and shy (my kind of man!), but also quite depressing and extremely temperamental. He tends to kill people (namely men he finds threatening or that just really tick him off), but he's not exactly an evil character, people just tend to get on his bad side. I also like him because he is an alien (I have a bit of a geeky side..) and he tries his best to woo human women without creeping them out, but it just never works..and the only girls who are attracted to him are the really weird ones that creep HIM out. It's sort of like how I only seem to attract all the weirdos..