Favourite comic books/graphic novels and their authors

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Xoic, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Dalantri

Dalantri Member

I liked all three of the anime you mentioned. I liked the original Deadpool stuff but now I think he’s just a conduit for humor and ‘Daffy Duck’ style harassment/violence. Don’t get me wrong, I love Daffy Duck, but the behavior was in the proper setting. A superhero that just appears in any random comic and setting just becomes annoying to me. No character arc or story behind him, just appearances for the sake of sells. It’s bad enough with companies do that to other characters (Batman and the TMNT/Power Rangers; Wolverine and Indiana Jones in the Lost City of Gold; or Superman and Archie), but remove the Deadpool stories of late and there’s nothing changed in the comic universe. Again, just my opinion.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

I'm not talking about the anime though - I'm talking about the manga.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  3. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    You're right about Deadpool being a bit of a joke and a sales driver in the Marvel universe. He's a really overused character. I get that they wanted something like DC's "Deathstroke: The Terminator" bad guy character but they made Deadpool too much of a joke. I thought the Deadpool character and the Terror character (the intelligent zombie character that would kill people and harvest their organs for his own) should have been combined to make a more well rounded character. As it stands, both characters come across as one dimensional. This surprises me a little because a company like Marvel Comics should know how to avoid that problem.

4. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

i finished my first manga yesterday. took me about a week, and i ended up having to buy the last volume because it wasnt uploaded anywhere.
    I was disappointed by the ending. well... more than disappointed. I was pissed. So many loose ends that were not wrapped up.
    One character gets shot.... never mentioned again (did they die? like what happened?)
    One of the MAIN character gets conscripted into a terrorist organization, which gets taken down..... never mentioned again. Did this character get away? He was literally a main character for all the beginning volumes. no one even mentions him. OR his story line which was really compelling to begin with. He's basically a lab rat who escaped and was on the run.

Another of the main characters was in the house of the person in charge of the terrorist organization. A sniper shot through the window out them and the volume ends. The next volume is a time skip, and everyone is happy go lucky. the only mention of the incident was the targeted person saying "yeah, they missed."
    NO! HOW???
    ugh...
    Only started reading it because the anime was cancelled after 12 episodes.... and the manga really WAS good... until the last like 4 or 5 volumes.....
    It had just the right amount of romance (the whole human in love with a vampire thing without being overly dramatic about it) and socio-politics... "should vampires have rights and be treated as human" or "should we round them all up and kill them/experiment on them" which really is the main focus. The anime made it all about their romance and took out A LOT of the political stuff and other character's back stories and arcs.
    upload_2020-8-15_14-54-8.jpeg

Malisky and Cdn Writer like this.