Favourite Stephen King

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Marty Kirby, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

From novels? Probably:
    • Salem's Lot
    • The Shining
    • Firestarter
    • The Dead Zone
    But really, my favorites by him are "Skeleton Crew" and "Night Shift." Just short stories, but they're really cool. Look at these cool stories in them:
    • The Mist
    • The Monkey
    • Mrs. Todd's Shortcut
    • The Jaunt
    • Word Processor of the Gods
    • Graveyard Shift
    • The Mangler
    • The Boogeyman
    • Gray Matter
    • Trucks
    • Sometimes They Come Back
    • The Ledge
    • Quitters, Inc.
    • Children of the Corn

Moon likes this.
  2. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

I haven't been able to get into Mr King's novels. Much too long for my tastes, however, @Seven Crowns post makes me curious as to if I could survive his short stories. I'll get back to this thread after an attempt.

3. nycoma

nycoma Active Member

i really loved gerald's game. it actually made me feel something... could've been anxiety, as the protagonist seemed so helpless for so long. and i liked how the room she was trapped in almost felt like a character.. one of darkness. plus i found it in an abandoned punk house i broke into. still have the book.

4. Jon J Smith

Jon J Smith New Member

I can say that Joyland is one of my favourite books from King, I agree with OP that the book was very light on the supernatural and big on the protagonist and his coming of age, I really loved it.

Revival was also an interesting read, it felt as though he took the wheel of fortune scene from The Dead Zone and expanded it into two books, one being Joyland and the other being later parts of Revival, I really love it when King gets into carnival life.

I wasn't very impressed with the Hodges Series though I did enjoy the journey, the characters and I also like that his last book, The Outsider linked into those quite heavily while still leaving the worst of them behind.

In general I really loved all of the Castle Rock books, Needful Things probably being my favourite, I'm quite a big Alan Pangborn fan so I also really enjoyed The Dark Half.

For me IT was a brilliant story that totally blew it in the finale, I think this is generally agreed among most King fans, but I know some people who really liked how that book turned out, each to their own.

Under The Dome was also a great read, being a big Jack Reacher fan (none of us are perfect) it was also quite nice to see some nods in his direction.

11-22-63 was a really great book, I listened to this on audio book a few years ago when I had a long commute to work and I found it to be a very charming story with some great twists and turns, absolutely one of my favourites.

Jon

5. severine

severine Member

I think I will always love Firestarter the most, it's one of the first ones I read and then reread enthusiastically, but I sure do love the Dark Tower books.

6. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Finished reading Carrie the other day. Went into it expecting a horror. It was, though of the tragic variety.

Picked up Night Shift and started the first story, which ties into another of Kings novels Salems Lot.

Guess who's become a King fan?

7. srwilson

srwilson Senior Member

Better than the Shining? I know, Kubrick took liberties.

8. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

Ah!
    Yes, The Shining is in the same camp with Stand By Me. There are those rare movies that are far superior to the book they were based on. I'd also put Apocalypse Now (very loosely based on Conrad's, Heart of Darkness) and The Princess Bride in that camp as well. It's interesting that Rob Reiner is responsible for two of the aforementioned movies.:)