1. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Feat. article on Wikipedia today - List_of_common_English_usage_misconceptions

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Gannon, Jun 10, 2011.

A lot of us who hang around on these forums know these already but interesting nevertheless. The article is cleverly worded to try and avoid contention but seems very valid. I believe almost every example has been queried on these forums at some point too proving at least the common part!

Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_English_usage_misconceptions

If links aren't allowed for this then a quick Google for Wikipedia plus List Common English Usage Misconceptions should do the trick.

Let us not discuss the trustworthiness of Wikipedia on this occasion. We should all know by now that secondary sources should also be consulted for reference purposes.

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I've seen so many arguments about this one subject it's untrue.

Thanks for posting this! Very interesting reading.

3. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

[​IMG]
    alt-text: 'Grandpa, what was it like in the Before time?'
    'It was hell. People went around saying glass was a slow-flowing liquid. You folks these days don't know how good you have it.'

... This is kind of related. It's just ordinary Common Misconceptions, but the point is still awesome, I think.

(My first post in The Lounge? Hm.)

4. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

I still find starting a sentence with "and" and "but" kinda strange xD

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

And I used to agree with you. But I got better.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I thought Miss Conception was the teacher who was indicted for getting pregnant from one of her teen students. Or was that a misconception?

Gannon, I'm not delighted with using a Wiki page as a resource, but I'll allow it this time. At least this one (currently) contains some useful mythbusters.

Everyone, please keep in mind that such articles aren't written in stone. Read it, but take it with a grain of salt. The best way to look at a list like this is to see that there are two sides to each of these writing strictures.

7. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

There are a lot of things that are, "technically" correct but not liked. Like spelling Center, Centre and Theater as Theatre. They are not preferred in America but in Canada and abroad they prefer these spellings. And ;), don't get started on colour. I personally hate the, "an an" in sentences. It is an an ;) interesting things.