Female Antagonists?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by katina, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

You made it very difficult to come up with any that haven't been said. You took all my favorites at once.

Amy Dunne - Gone Girl
    Dark Phoenix - X-Men
    Julianne Potter (Julia Roberts) - My Best Friend's Wedding

2. JessicaT

JessicaT Member

"The Walking Dead" did a good character study on female antagonists in season 6, episode 13, "The Same Boat". Maggie and Carol (two bad-ass protagonists) are captured and held hostage by three female antagonists and one wounded male, shot in the arm by Carol ("men can't handle pain" one of the antagonists say at some point).

It's one of my favorites.

https://walkingdead.fandom.com/wiki/The_Same_Boat

And let's not forget "The Hunger Games" Alma Coin, as subtle, yet true, as her antagonistic side was.

katina likes this.
  3. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Vera in My Sweet Audrina? the Grandmother & Mother in Flowers in the Attic?

I don't read a lot of stories with female antagonists. If there is a female antagonist they're usually some slinky bitch like something out a glitzy Joan Collins type novel.

Jessica Wakefield is probably my favorite. If you haven't heard of her she was the outgoing twin the in the Sweet Valley High series. She was constantly getting into trouble and when she did would try to utilize her identical twins identity - Elizabeth - to let the shit fall on her. She stole boyfriends, mocked nerds, was materialistic and egotistical but somehow managed to be funny. I had this theory that Elizabeth and Jessica were actually really one character, only split to showcase the perfect embodiment of a typical teenage girl. The one who wants the reputation of wise Elizabeth while secretly wanting to live like doppleganger Jessica.

jannert, katina and Paneera like this.
  4. raine_d

raine_d Active Member

Milady from The Three Musketeers (the 1970s movies are among my favourites and Faye Dunaway does a cracking job)

Jane Austen's Lucy Steele, Mary Crawford and Lady De Burgh.

jannert likes this.
  5. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

For all the three musketeers movies I've seen over the years, I never could figure out why everyone hated the Countess De Winter. Then I read the book, and even I hated the Countess de Winter,

Stormburn likes this.
  6. Laughing Rabbit

Laughing Rabbit Active Member

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021