Fiction - 'politically incorrect' characters (UK)

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Cloudymoon, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Javelineer

Javelineer Active Member

In 1988, Salmon Rushdie was put under British police protection for writing the Satanic Verses. If he did it today, they'd probably arrest him and hand him directly over to the Islamic prison gangs. :D

Anyway...

...I decided to do a google search on Ken Park and yeah, it looks pretty bad. But is it really? I mean, compared to the Human Centipede? Or 120 Days of Sodom?

If I was going to pick one film to ban, it would be The Interview. Not only is it a pretentious, steaming pile of shit, but allowing the existence of films that cheerfully advocate the murder of foreign leaders (no matter how "bad" they're supposed to be) doesn't strike me as good diplomacy.

That said...

...the director of Ken Park apparently once punched out his UK distributor for saying that America got what it deserved on 9/11. So not exactly a free-speech absolutest himself?

...and how many of the Jordan Peterson fanboys are happy to see that Cuties was taken off of Netflix?

...and the r/athiesm-types recently made a big deal out of a Banned Books Museum in Estonia, but I wonder if "Did Six Million Really Die?" or any copies of "Inspire Magazine" made it onto their shelves? The people behind the museum haven't been arrested by the Estonian government or died in American drone strikes yet, so I'm thinking no.

Personally, I don't have a strong opinion one way or another. I guess, at the end of the day, we all have our limits...

2. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Having seen all those films, yes. Not just vulgar bad, but without artistic merit. It's just a bad film. As in, poorly made and told.