Fiction Writers: why do you write what you write?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by J.T. Woody, May 13, 2018.

1. Spirit of seasons

Spirit of seasons Active Member

I think I settled on fantasy because my favorite author Glen Cooks' Black Company series totally floored me. I've read them all cover to cover, and enjoyed every single word. Sci-fi has to be to complex to be compelling, and I find that I get bored of real life stories to easily. Fantasy for me represents everything I like about story telling and world building.

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Oh yes. (Hard) Sci-Fi is one of my favourite genres to read, but I would never try writing it. I would be in over my head so quickly. That lady scientist would be jumping around like Rumplestiltskin if she had to read my sci-fi, I'm afraid. Damn. I'll stick to social history for my inspiration!

3. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

Same here. It's space opera for me!

jannert likes this.
  4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Yeah, I could write another Star Wars. Handwaving, my specialty....

John Calligan likes this.
  5. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

The first time I heard, "soft magic is okay so long as it isn't used to solve problems," flipped a switch in my mind. lol

jannert likes this.
  6. noobienieuw

noobienieuw Banned

I am from the Samuel Johnson school of writing.
    Writing "No man but a blockheadever wrote, except for money".

I write what pays the most that I can also enjoy doing.
    Not ever going to be successful at fantasy or scifi or other such unreal genres.

7. Nariac

Nariac Contributor Contributor

I don't even know what my book can be classed as.

Speculative literary fiction, I guess. :S

8. Blaire Hawthorne

Blaire Hawthorne New Member

I write horror short stories because its the only thing that makes me feel alive. I know it sounds so edgy but I feel less and less empathy for everything as time goes by in my life and I could only find solace in reading and writing books. I don't think it a dependence, I feel it more of a drive to cling to life. Perhaps an even deeper reason as to why I like writing what I write is because I just want to scare people, thrill them, give them a way to recognize the face of fear through my writing.

9. LazyBear

LazyBear Banned

If I write from own experience about the paranormal, I have to write it as fantasy and mix in some crazy stuff that nobody takes seriously. Otherwise people will say that I'm making things up. My coworkers got scared of me when I started correcting their facts about ghosts.

10. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

I enjoy putting myself in a time machine to travel back several thousand years ago, and explore the world as it was. So many opportunities to ask simple questions like "how the heck would they have done that back then?" Little things like a sealed horn with wet moss, holding a hot coal to use to start a fire

11. LastMindToSanity

LastMindToSanity Contributor Contributor

It's an escapism fantasy. I would much rather be in the worlds I create than the real one. I guess that means that I do it because it's more fun than writing non-fiction.

Mark Burton, Moon and T_L_K like this.
  12. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Well, I like writing southern paranormal stuff. Paranormal/urban fantasy is my favorite genre and pretty much has been since I started reading. I really like southern stuff because I have a really southern family but grew up in a less southern state. Which highlighted the differences of southern versus not southern to me. It's made me somewhat enamored with it. It also gives me some type of cultural identity. I do live more in the south now than I did growing up. Lastly, I really like satanic type stuff. If I had to guess the reason it's two fold. One, I was raised in a strict christian obsessed home. So... I guess I'm rebelling forever in that way--haha. Second reason, I LOVE trickster archetype and Satan is that to me. I don't know...I just love it so much. I've identified with it in the past. Not that I'm some major funny, but I've had issues not being able to be serious and being completely ruled by my urges. God dangit, I guess there is a third reason too. Christianity and Satan in particular just sometimes feels like a pulse in the south sometimes. I'm all over Southern Gothic. It's my happy place...weird, lol.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  13. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

Kudos to all who write historical fiction. I for one understand the pains and labor of the research.
    For me it was as much about coordinating the timing of events, with my story which would have my MC involved.
    At the end of the story I had her at 65 years old, and when I researched retirement age I found that people died in their 50's the 1800's.
    I had to make a lot of changes and I added a temporary reference to her age at every chapter and then put a date in the heading of the chapter.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Mark Burton and Siberian like this.
  14. Dark Infinity

Dark Infinity Member

This may sound strange, but I write because I have something inside of me that wants to get out. The current book I am working on, this story has been growing and developing for years in my head. I needed to get it on to paper (... or virtual paper as it were.) Over the years I've written poetry, because something popped into my head and I just had to write it down. Any time I try to force it, things just don't come out right.

I imagine a lot of it is my love of fantasy, so that's where I tend to go with stories. But I'm like dust in a wind storm. One day I'm all about drawing, the next I'm writing, then I'm off to painting. I don't know if writing will ever become what I'm known for, but I would like to at least get this one book out of me and done... and hopefully published. I'm a computer programmer by trade, and I have two kids. So anything else I want to do ends up in "hobby land". We will see where this goes. I just need to keep myself motivated enough to keep working on it.

15. honey hatter

honey hatter Banned

Feels the same way

Dark Infinity likes this.
  16. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Same. I can't really pinpoint a genre that I like to write more... its all just whatever/where ever my mind takes me. What I'm writing now is Sci Fi, though. I'm having a lot of fun world building, so I think that's why I've stuck with it (Sci Fi) for as long as I have

17. teralea

teralea New Member

Here’s my story. It’s sad, but here goes:
    I read whatever catches my attention at the moment. Clive Barker, David Sedaris, Mark Z. Danielewski; I just pick up what I feel like reading.
    I used to write realistic fiction. It has always been character-driven. I was in the middle of my fourth manuscript in 2016 when I lost my oldest daughter. After she passed away, I couldn’t pick it up again. I couldn’t look at it and I still can’t. Reality of any kind is hard to deal with. So I started making up non-realistic worlds and I’ve found more peace there than I’ve ever found writing realistic fiction.
    Not sure if I’d call it horror or fantasy at this point, but creating new universes makes more sense to me now.

18. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

teralea

Welcome to the forum.

I have written reality and at times the emotions darkened my spirit until it affected me physically.

I write historical fiction now and have been able to keep my sanity through it all.

teralea likes this.
  19. DK3654

DK3654 Almost a Productive Member of Society Contributor

I write the same kind of stuff that I like to read, or watch, because I enjoy the creative process and I'm no professional writer, and I very much doubt I will ever be :p , so that's what matters to me.

20. teralea

teralea New Member

Thank you for the Welcome.
    I think we go where we need to go to keep our sanity.

21. Senko

Senko Member

Guess fiction (whatever kind of fiction) would be my favorite if I ever write a book. When reading, I like fictional stories happening on the real world. The more real the world, the more challenging the fiction.

22. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

I write satire (if we have to put a label on it) because I find humans to be basically stupid. Well...I do. I'm not going to change them, so why not poke a little fun? No one is going to take me seriously me anyway.

Mark Burton and Dark Infinity like this.
  23. Senko

Senko Member

I have the idea that people that writes as a professional, meaning: writing for a living, has to consider what is commercially good for his/her writing. However, I´m just making a guess.

24. Writersaurus

Writersaurus Member

I usually end up writing something connected to an existing show because when I try to come up with my own characters, my main character and my villain are the only two characters in the story I care about - and it's not enough. By writing fanfictions, I already have a strong cast to work with, and I...I'm pretty sure I've typed this up on another post.

25. Just a cookiemunster

Just a cookiemunster Active Member

I write what I want to read. I always read a lot of books but come out disappointed in the characters or themes or decisions made or it could be whatever. I get frustrated and it inspires me to write but I'm just a super picky reader anyway. I think that is my main drive in writing what I write. So I pretty much just packed all the separate themes I like into one.

Mark Burton and Irina Samarskaya like this.