1. BruMeister

BruMeister Member

Finding a narrative

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by BruMeister, Nov 4, 2011.

I'm trying to find the narrative I want for my story. How my story is set up is it scene switches between two people. I'd like to do 3rd person limited to give one of my characters more of a voice, but the character is suppose to be more of a spontaneous character where you don't know how he's going to act (a Jack Sparrow complex if you will).

However, I'm not sure about 3rd person omniscient because I feel like it's too distant from the two characters I want to focus on. Omniscient is more of an eye in the sky, God-like narrative that knows all, correct?

*I do not want to do 1st person.*

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Sounds like you want a more focused third-person perspective. Basically, you describe everything from an outside point, but keep your focus narrowed to the two characters in question.

3. BruMeister

BruMeister Member

That is basically what I want, yes. If I do this, would it be "rule-breaking" if I delved into a quick thought or two with a character outside of the main two? For example, explain why Character 3 is angry about something, even though the main characters don't know.

4. Banzai

You'd do much better showing it, rather than telling it. A little hint which the other characters miss, but which- in a third person perspective- you can flag to the reader.

5. BruMeister

BruMeister Member

Thank you. I suppose I'll try t figure out a good way to develop characters this way.

P.S. This is off topic but is there any way you can delete posts on this forum?

6. Banzai

No, only a moderator can delete posts, and we don't unless there is a very good reason.

7. BruMeister

BruMeister Member

Oh alright