1. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

Finding you Writer's center of Mind

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by aimi_aiko, Sep 13, 2011.

When I am made to write something (ex. a college assignment in english) I usually struggle to find that inspiration, because I'm not writing for myself, I'm writing for the grade. However, sometimes I feel the need to set the assignment aside and write a little bit on a story of my own, just to get the flow going. It's only ever-so-often that this works, which makes me realize I need another "thought centering technique", if not several, to help me pull inspiration.

I know I'm not the only one here. I've noticed other writers, who are made to write for someone other than themselves, struggle with the writing process. Now, I know that I should try to convince myself that I am writing for myself, but knowing deep down that I am not, makes that very difficult. So that's why I do thought centering things to make me write.

So, that brings me to my question. When you are struggling with any kind of writing process, rather it is for yourself or a grade, etc., what do you do in order to find that inspiration or to start that flow of words?

Note: I know this may seem like it focuses around writer's block, but the focus is actually: what do you do to center your mind when you are needing to write?

2. Faerytale

Faerytale New Member

I start with a makeshift introduction to my paper, one that I'll more likely than not discard later. It helps me get started, even if it does end up incoherent or choppy.

3. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I go outside, take a walk, or read one of my favorite books.

4. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I take a walk, force my mind to not think of anything but what's immediately around me. Listen to the sound of my feet on graval, listen to the birds, look at the trees, the clouds, the cars, etc. If I'm walking my dog, I look at her and note how she carries herself. If a thought appears, I block it and move on.

5. CULLEN DORN

CULLEN DORN New Member

Find a quiet space that is yours alone.
    Enter it and write till the writing takes over you.

6. LostInFiction

LostInFiction New Member

I try to limit my distractions and become more honed into my ideas. Often it's through thinking about one element of a story eg: a character, a particular scene.

7. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva New Member

I tend to pace restlessly or go jogging. Physical activity loosens me up a little.