Firefox...yes? No?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by NaCl, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Vapor

Vapor New Member

Been using firefox for years and I'm happy with it. A big plus is that it's open source so vulnerabilities are found and fixed quickly. I think it's part of the reason that I've had almost no trouble with spyware and viruses.

2. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

I have Firefox, IE and Chrome. Firefox is my favourite browser because of its add-ons and plug ins - for example its built in spellchecker is extremely useful when I'm reviewing something or typing a post quickly. Or, the ability to browse without annoying ads.

3. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I'm also a big fan of the spell check. Most of the time, I don't use it, but every once in a while, there's a word that I'm completely stumped about how to spell, and back when I had IE, it was kind of a pain to have to go into a separate window and look it up. I'm too lazy for that.

4. Sabih Omar

Sabih Omar New Member

I have used FF, Opera, Chrome and Safari...IE7 was total bull**** (any problem if I use that word?)...IE8 tried hard to be like FF or Opera...but IE is too rigid...and you need to really 'buy' windows ;)

FF is great for it's customization features. You can do anything using the FF plugins, from checking out weather to hacking online games.

Chrome is (supposed to be) the fastest and the simplest.

Opera is better for downloading torrents.

And you use Safari only if you are made of anti-matter. Everything's on the wrong side. OK on right, Cancel on left etc. So watch out!

5. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Everyone keeps saying that, but really I've found it to be the slowest browser I've tried...

6. Sabih Omar

Sabih Omar New Member

yes, when they first released it it was just a browser...Then they tried to add features and patch-up the holes...that made it plain, heavy and useless...

7. Azhigher

Azhigher Active Member

Yep, you pretty much said it all right there.

And Opera is alright for managing torrents, but I'd much rather have an outside application handle my torrents. i.e. Utorrent

8. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

this and

this.

9. DownUnder

DownUnder New Member

I've used Firefox since around May last year. Wouldn't trade it back for IE. I haven't tried any other browsers though...

10. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Well, I tried FF. Lost all my saved passwords, couldn't access some of my favorite automatic-sign in links and there was no convenient icon for accessing my email. FF has been uninstalled.