First-draft length

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by OurJud, Aug 10, 2015.

1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Sound advice for a novel written in 3rd person, but I write in 1st. Having said that, this doesn't mean I can't include more characters for my protag to play off / interact with.

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Hi OurJud,

You reminded me of this thread of yours on another thread...

My WIP is probably going to come in, first draft, at about 15k-20k. I'm not bothered by that, because, at the moment, there are a lot of scenes, each of which is written basically as a script - bare dialogue - with only enough attribution to be clear about who's speaking. Come revision, I'll go through each scene, look at what needs adding (probably a lot of "the living-room was decorated in a clashing colour scheme of lime green and bright orange") and add it. By then, I'll probably be aware that certain scenes need some foreshadowing, or some conflicts haven't been satisfactorily resolved.

So, tell your tale in 15k. Then read it through (6 months after the last time you looked at it) and work out what's missing.

OurJud likes this.