First Drafts and Batting Averages

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Simpson17866, Oct 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. AmsterdamAssassin

AmsterdamAssassin Active Member

I don't see the point in throwing something away when an entire novel would take up about 1Mb of memory space. Collected, all the scenes I've written but haven't used have taken up maybe 3-4 Mb of space.

2. graveleye

graveleye Senior Member

these are just notebooks...for notes. I don't actually "write" anything except ideas. It's chicken scratch really. I'll occasionally write a blurb that I mean specifically to go into the novel, but it goes into the novel and I don't need to save it.
    The whole thing will end up being a repetitious semi-outline, in my atrocious handwriting, with little notes here and there in the margins. It's honestly not worth keeping especially since so many of my notes and ideas are not used in the draft at all.

Another reason I burn them is because often by the time I'm done with the first draft, I've 86'd many of those ideas. I don't want some future person to read my notebook and say "Wow, Graveleye was thinking about ending it like that???"