1. Want2Write

Want2Write Member

First person POV; except one scene

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Want2Write, Oct 11, 2011.

After few careful considerations I narrowed down the theme for my novel and started my research.

The main character(MC) is stuck in a forest. I have planned to tell the whole story through his eyes. I feel its quite interesting to have the grammatical person reference as the First person. That way I can bring out the emotions of a city born, bred man trapped in a dense, dark forest.

There is this one romantic scene between the tribal man and woman that I have high hopes for. I don't know how to stick it in as the whole story is in first person POV. I don't want to show that MC is witnessing the lovers. Note: the tribal woman is also a main character.

I thought of having the story with 2 POVs - 2 first person narration, but thought better of it. I mean, for just one scene I don't want to have multiple POVs.

Can you think of any other ways??

Thanks
    Want2Write

2. colinbeckett

colinbeckett New Member

The only way I can think of doing it while retaining the POV, is to write it as a dream sequence in which the MC "is" one of the participants.
    Depending on the context/effects of the scene, this might not work. If it's something that changes the course of the story in a physical way, then obviously it would have to actually happen. And you may not want to give your characters psychic powers. But the character could wake from the dream and realize that something similar had happened, picking up on clues or what have you. Or if you want the character to remain oblivious to the event, you could make the so called "clues" things that the reader would pick up on, as people do not remember as much detail.

It's a little problematic.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

makes no sense to me to have only that one scene in third... remember that when you write a whole novel in first, then all you can let the readers know/see/hear is what the narrator knows/sees/hears...

if you don't want him to be observing the act, the only way to get it in and make any sense, would be to have someone tell him about it... that way, the dialog [of the person telling him] would be in third person... unless it's one of the participants relating the event, in which case it would still have to be in first person...

4. lostinwebspace

lostinwebspace Active Member

I read a book once called Calculating God (Robert J. Sawyer) where everything was in first person except a chapter here and there in third from the perspective of another character. I don't really have much advice for you, but if you want to do this, try reading this novel to see how Sawyer did it.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

switching now and then is a very different thing from doing it only once... however sawyer did it, having only one scene in third would still make no sense...