1. live2write

live2write Senior Member

First, Third person appropriateness

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by live2write, Jan 2, 2013.

I am currently writing my first novel and I am already 1/4 of the book. I am at a point now where I am thinking "would this sound better in third person rather than first?" It is very subjective and I understand without a sample of the text it would be up to me to decide what I want best for the story.

Here are some notes I have with what I am writing about.

1. It is a fantasy/science fiction novel revolving around a girl named Amber Rion who has a gift that only few have and others would die to obtain.
    2. It is the story about her journey of discovering who she really is, what she is and how her gift can unlock the world's most precious secret.
    3. Besides what she experiences herself throughout the novel there are other things going on in the background around her.
    4. Her aunt is doing everything in her power as Empress of the country to capture her and obtain her power and transform it into a weapon.
    5. Amber has alot of secrets that she kept from the world and the people around her that she eventually has to reveal.

2. shakespear57

shakespear57 New Member

I think it would work in first person, to tell the feelings and the emotions of Amber through her own eyes, but if you're feeling that 3rd is the way to go, then go with that. How about re-writing a chapter in 3rd person and see how its working out? And in third person, you can always switch to 1st in her thoughts, as in: "I'm scared, Amber thought. This wasn't going to be easy, she knew that." Just an example. But honestly, go with your gut.

Good luck :)

3. Jackdw1005

Jackdw1005 New Member

One thing to remeber that with first person you can't tell anyone else story as you must always have your character in every scene and page.

4. Gingerbiscuit

Gingerbiscuit New Member

Writing in first person is a really powerful tool for allowing the reader to accompany your protagonist on their journey and experience the world through their eyes. However the stumbling block is often, as you've no doubt discovered by now, that there may be events pivotal to the story of which your protagonist will have no knowledge by that point in the narrative. It's pretty difficult to write 'meanwhile back in the jungle' if your character had never been to the jungle by that point, so to speak.

But don't forget that events that may have happened beyond the scope of your protagonist at the current point in the narrative may be something they later gained knowledge of and so can still refer to them retrospectively. For example, if her aunt was sending out foot soldiers to assail her you could write, "Unbeknown to be at the time my aunt was amassing a great army and even as I sat inhaling the blissful perfume of forest bracken, wringing the water from my hair heavy booted feet were tramping through that same forest.... etc. etc. etc."

But for the most part, if your protagonist doesn't know something and it's not pivotal to her at that time then your reader won't mind not knowing about it either. And there will be plenty of time to fill in the gaps when she is reunited with old friends, overhears a conversation in a tavern and all sorts.

Ultimately though, it's got to feel right!

5. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I'm having the same issue - The novel I'm working on right now - I've written twice already. Two drafts
    One in third person, one in first person. First person was a disaster for this story - I'm going back to third.

It's hard to decide which one will work best - because like the others have said each pov has certain 'rules'
    on divulging information.

You could write out a scene one in first person and one in third to see what feels more natural.

6. live2write

live2write Senior Member

I made an attempt to write the chapter in third person and another chapter in the middle of the store, (I had storyboarded a chain of events like the create your adventure novel). The major plus I found was I was able to tell the story from numerous perspectives. Example would be if you were to watch a movie and watch what one group of characters are doing in one location and what the protagonist is doing in another location.

However, I found it to be less of an adventure and more of an observation. I do like the anticipation of the first person style of writing where slowly things are revealed one page at a time, where writing in third person I am revealing it but it is expected later in the novel.

Also one of my readers mentioned that there is a disconnect between first and third person where in first person the reader can relate to the character where in third it is like watching a movie.