Fives lives, Five souls discussion thread

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Mr Mr, Aug 17, 2011.

1. berky

berky New Member

that works too, for now lets get this thing going again. RET-CON AND REBOOT POWERS ACTIVATE!

2. Hex44

Hex44 New Member

Fair enough. My subplots didnt currently involve the maincast. Hoping it would swing full circle as soon as u guys started writing. Really trying to find a place for a few characters. Glad you guys finally got out that damned carriage. Pretty sure the city is intact (for now) buildings might be on fire with medium chaos confusion. Cant wait for someone to take charge :).
    Anyone have a problem with the intervention on forgotten gods or a demonic campain against the core characters?

Anyone have a problem with unrelated sidebar histories?
    Anyone have a problem with plot off shoots that will at one point tie into the main story.

Lemme know I'm playing by your rules so long as its entertaining.

3. Hex44

Hex44 New Member

Quick question. What is the difference between this Rpg and collaborative writing? Everyones touchy about the plot but tgohegoal is to Reunite or united rather the races of Kiazo through either military or political means. So what happens after the mansion? How will our heroes accomplish this goal? Will they raise an army or will the few of them take out each cities government.one by one in anime fashion?

*everyone is touchy about the plot but the goal is to...*
    If my creations have confused you please understand im not touching your characters at all. Everything I have written has happened elsewhere in the world if Kaizo but effects the world just as your characters do. Your story is the same I promise you I am only positioning my characters for a rendezvous with yours when that opportunity comes.

Thank you for your time

4. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Hex - My intention was to kill off the heads of each ruling body.

5. AveryWhite

AveryWhite Active Member

hi guys great its getting started agian :) i do think pastpresentnfuture will be back soon just think hes busy a bit like me :p or waiting for us to get this back on the road agian. i cant post tonight or tomorow but hopefully i can friday thanks guys! :)

6. berky

berky New Member

To me participating in an RP means playing a character and having that character interact with others. The plot progresses at will of those playing.

The problem is your plot elements are unrelated and disorientating. Originally the plot progressed based on what was occurring in the scene.
    It was a sort of improvisational game, people interact and things occur so others can response accordingly. Drake meets Ezric->Ezric insults Drake-> drake tries to drug Ezric-> : the two now have a history which I enjoy playing with.

Creating sub-plots and history that will "link up eventually" doesn't work in the "improv" style RP, because There is no way for a player to react realistically to an event that is occurring far off in the distance. You create a sub-plot that is closed off from anyone elses interact. And the post itself, breaks up the flow of characters trying to play off of one another.

EX: you created posts about some sort far off kingdom. No one writing knows anything about this kingdom, and there are no prior story elements to work off to guess what it is like or what it has to do with our current delema. Players have no idea what to do with this spare bit of plot. As a result, the plot doesn't progress, and I as a player am left wondering how I can possibly respond to this new post.

It is because of the reasons mentioned above that I am very much against your inclusion of :

" intervention on forgotten gods or a demonic campaign against the core characters" - We are currently gearing up to unite kingdoms, fighting an angry god makes no sense and seems like a way to distort the plot. Demons are a race in this world and most of our characters seem to have some demon blood. So that might make sense, but it would mean we would essentially turn an entire race into our go-to villains.

" unrelated sidebar histories " - We all have an established history. It is simple, but we do not need one person taking charge of the history of the world. It makes more sense to have details of history pop up in conversations if people feel it would be useful or relevant or funny. We essentially slowly "make up" the history as we go.

" plot off shoots that will at one point tie into the main story." - I believe I have already addressed why I would be against this.

7. Hex44

Hex44 New Member

Thank you sincerely for your input berky. I see your point but I dont agree because I dont see how ive hindered your game if youve read correctly. Surely youve read books with multiple character threads and plot insights. I can see how you think Miria's stofy seems irrelevant but it was first stated when she appeared what her purpose was and when she joins the group I want the reader to know her story already so theres no lengthy introduction.

I can see how the histories are unnecessary. It really was selfish of me to insert that. Im sorry but I want those who come behind us and read the game to be informed. I feel that we all should do the histories a certain point, but if its unnecessary. So be it I'll stop those.

All in a berky, Im willing to accept your view and if you feel the descriptions I spin are disorienting please let me know how I can make myself more clear. We all have room for improvement dont we?

8. Hex44

Hex44 New Member

Berky youve failed to answer my question about you plot. I wish you wouldnt criticise my writing style when Ive only offered more reading material other than the sluggish escape from the town hall. If you intend on taking charge as the DM at least provide some narration frequently so that those of us waiting can participate. Hmmmm ahhh?

9. MaggieStone

MaggieStone New Member

Just wanted to say that I've posted a new paragraph, I hope they are ok! lol

10. berky

berky New Member

I was unaware that the active group voted me DM, I'm honored! But last I checked people were against adding one. I'd gladly take it up if your suggesting it.

11. berky

berky New Member

@Maggie-Absolutely! Glad to see a new post. Though we haven't heard from ezric "pastpresentfuture" in a while. That's who I thought your character THOUGHT she was addressing. Would you be alright if MY character responded, as though you were addressing him by mistake?

12. PastPresentNFuture

PastPresentNFuture New Member

Hi guys I am back, although i will go to bed soon, since its night where i live, i will start posting tommorow i believe

13. MaggieStone

MaggieStone New Member

yeah sorry I have read it from the beginning, but I forget so I look up and the was a typo error, avery did tell me but I seem to be muddled now

14. Clumsywordsmith

Clumsywordsmith Active Member

Adding my voice to the growing list of people who can't post now but will later.

15. Hex44

Hex44 New Member

Welcome back everyone... please dont confuse my story lines with your own. I havent altered anything. I believe we are just missing one or two more but I am looking forward to your posts

16. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Hex - Did you ever post a char template? I was trying to find one but couldn't (or missed it). If you haven't could you post one here so we know something about your char thanks.

17. Hex44

Hex44 New Member

YEA POSTED THE STATS ON PAGE FOUR. READ THE RULES MULTIPLE TIMES. READ THE STORY EVERYDAY TO MAKE SURR IK NOT MISSING ANYTHING.
    I just rather not participate in an unimaginative story. Lets break new ground with this one.

18. Hex44

Hex44 New Member

Hey kids. Im sorry about the abrupt intro and exit but I didnt want to be stuck in the mansion for another month and a half. Clumswordsmith and Avery are right on the money I like what you guys did. Maggie great interaction u too berky. PPF your character.has the resources and influence to create an army and manufacturer fire arms, but how about putting a spin on the weapon. I mean who needs guns in a magical world lol. What if you agumented certain weapons with the propulsion technology and used rounds that had diverse magical qualities? Just puttin that out there.

Right now Id like to gear up for a mini boss battle. You guys dont have to join auto matically or at all if you dont want to. Or you can 'save' me just in the nick of time. If you dont agree with my lack of dialogue consider this. My character is from a different part of Kaizo and is working as the eyes and ears of a higher power. We can all have a pow wow later.

19. Clumsywordsmith

I don't wish to rain on parades here... but the arquebus had a terribly slow rate of fire, would have been incredibly difficult to use effectively from horseback (even if it was possible -- though the tactic I believe was used involved charging a mass of horseman to near point-blank range of their infantry victims, letting loose a volley and then charging off to reload.), was only really effective when used en-masse and fired by volley, and not only that, but was a rather short ranged weapon. Inaccurate, too. Plate armour could stop an arquebus ball given enough range. These things are oldschool and a bit dangerous to the user as well. A matchlock mechanism means, quite literally, that the firearm has a piece of lit fuse dangling from the end near the user, and the "trigger", such as it is, is really more of a lever that swings the fuse down to the powder sitting upon the flashpan.

Twenty mounted arquebusers would be swiftly slaughtered by a conventional force of cavalry. And on foot, it was generally necessary to guard the arquebusers with contingents of pikeman to keep the enemy from charging and overwhelming the unit as it reloaded.

They were a powerful weapon, yes, and gunpowder did eventually change the face of warfare permanently. But they were by no means a "superweapon". Even after the invention and proliferation of gunpowder, some still favoured the use of the bow.

20. Hex44

Hex44 New Member

I completely agree with clumsywordsmith. I left a suggestion for PPF in my previous post. The only thing we're limited to is imagination.

21. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Mabye heading towards robotics/clockwork is the way forwards?

Oh and I agree with the boss fight, I'm sparking one off now.

22. Hex44

Hex44 New Member

I was thinking about bringing the ornithopters back as clockwork or stream machinery. I like the gun Idea but I really want to see something new happen.

23. Clumsywordsmith

Not quite certain why another battle is necessary at this very moment. I mean, we did just get out of one, and have yet to even figure out where we stand. Then again, perhaps my focus in RPGs is a bit out of the norm. The potential for character development always trumps pointless violence. Or so I would say.

24. Hex44

Hex44 New Member

I get that too, but if we go to Trandor and pick up any remaining survivors since I accidental had it ransacked. Oops. If we recruit the survivors and capture and interrogate Maj THEN we can start with the politics of character development. It this was a book we'd only be entering the second chapter. Theres plenty of time for us to agree upon a direction and venture that way. But for now sitting idle in a mansion discussing who the enemy is does nothing for the reader. I understand you point clumsywordsmith but your character is ALWAYS brooding. I should like to see his skills in battle. Are we all in agreeance?

Side note: Esunas leg has been bitten off. I will either use prostetics or a regenerative artifact to remedy that. The decision is up for vote.

25. PastPresentNFuture

PastPresentNFuture New Member

Sorry guys for not reading these recent posts sooner, ill make it up to everyone i promise