1. bbanter

bbanter New Member

Fleshing out the meat and potatos?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by bbanter, Nov 4, 2017.

Hey, Writers

What are your thoughts on the process of fleshing out every part of a novel?

I'm currently in the process of picking apart every detail of a world and it's characters. Is it best to make a document for everything? I currently have a folder for "The World", "Characters", "Plot", etc... Inside each folder contains multiple documents for all details, and descriptions. For example, the folder "The World" contains: "The World - General" (which is the physical description, location, properties of the planet,etc...), "Magic System", "Culture", "History", and so on. The "Characters" folder is almost identical to "The World" by process, but for each individual character and their properties.

My main questions are as follows: Is this a good route for structuring a plan to write a novel? And, if not, what are some other good ways to building up to the same outcome of completing a novel?

Additional details: My current status is writing one novel as a prequel to a continuation of four more.