Foreign Exchanging!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SonnehLee, Mar 6, 2009.

Tags:
  1. joe

joe New Member

Any one of those countries would give you a rich experience, but I'd choose Austria. It's within driving distance of other countries.

2. ManicParroT

ManicParroT New Member

Out of curiosity, are you studying Spanish? If you are, then one of the Spanish speaking countries is obviously the top choice. If not, go with the best academic programme.

3. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

Austrailia sounds great....it's my second place to visit when I grow up(after Greece).

But, whatever you do...DON'T come to India if it's even a choice, they torture students here!

4. apathykills

apathykills New Member

QUOTE]But, whatever you do...DON'T come to India if it's even a choice, they torture students here![/QUOTE]

Really? That's odd, many many Israelis go to India every year but i've never heard anything about that.

I do know the food is supposed to be very good, the people nice and the views beautiful and really what school doesn't torture its students one way or the other?

1 person likes this.
  5. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

lol....ignore me, I'm just an unhappy student whose Chemistry exam went shucks cause it was out of syllabus!

But the food is yum, I suppose, hey people are nice(you know me doncha?) and the view is good, but school's torture!!lol

6. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

It's funny because it's true.

Lol.

7. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Go to Australia!! :D:D
    Which bit would you go to?

Oi Eoz, Speedy, my uncle lives in Perth :p
    Sydney is better though. Duh.

8. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

You, Eoz, Speedy, and all my other Australian friends win. I'm off to Australia. Dunno which part though.

Now all I have to do is finish that application.... :(

9. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Do it! You'll feel better afterwards...

You're so lucky to be doing an exchange...I'm gona try and get on the ERASMUS programme and spend 6 months in France when I'm at uni,
    Would be so good :D

10. SonnehLee

That would be cool. I'm really excited. And I DO feel better. It's nice knowing at least some of it is done. *relief sighs*

11. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

Is this a high school exchange or university?

12. SonnehLee

High School.

13. SonnehLee

Attention All My Australian Friends:

If you would, please tell me where you live, and what it's like there. I'm curious.

14. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Wollongong, NSW. Its an Hour south of Sydney

Sydney = biggest most beautiful city in Australia, Sydsiders (people whom live their) must rudest people in Australia.n MAny, Many great things to see.

Wollongong, just south is right on the ocean and has a major lake....(the city surrounds itself arounf most of it). And then you have the escarpment on the other side.

I'll post pictures and stuff about Sydney and Wollongong tomorrow... (I dont think there are any other Sydney people in here) Mainly from Perth

15. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

I live in Adelaide, which has a population of 1.5 million. It sits beside the Southern Ocean and is surrounded by the Adelaide Hills, which have plenty of forests and wildlife parks. It's kind of a quiet town, and other cities laugh at us because there's not much to do, but it's one of the best designed cities in the world, so getting to places is never hard and doesn't take too long, unlike Sydney and Melbourne. There are some very good schools in the eastern suburbs and the people are friendly. Our summers are very hot, sometimes reaching 40 degrees celsius and beyond for days on end. We get the occasional thunderstorm and windy day. In the winter it's warm and wet. You'll never see anyone wearing a beanie or gloves since it doesn't get that cold. Adelaide has a very relaxed lifestyle, and since it's surrounded by mountains there are plenty of opportunities to catch full views of the city and out to sea.

I have some opinions about the other cities:

Melbourne - very active sporting-wise. You'd be able to see PLENTY of AFL games. It's the best sport in the world ;) However, Melbourne people are often arrogant and think less of the other cities. Climate is cooler and wetter than Adelaide.

Sydney - big on attractions and is huge, but avoid the western suburbs since they're not as safe. In Sydney you will feel more like you're somewhere in Asia because they have a giant work-migration population that's continuing to grow. But it's the party city with heaps of events, the big New Year's celebrations etc. Climate is much the same as Melbourne, but a little drier.

Brisbane - a cool place, but feels rundown in the suburbs. It sits on the beautiful Brisbane river and they have a sea-tram thing that transports people to the inner city and surrounds. Rugby is the main sport up there, which is kind of dull. Climate is mostly warm and humid during summer, with thunderstorms, while winter is dry.

Sunshine Coast - would be my personal choice. If, by a miracle, you could go to a place like Noosa, where the climate is great, the beaches are stunning and there's a tropical vibe. It's much better than the Gold Coast and less commercial, however the Gold Coast has all the theme parks. Climate is similar to Brisbane's.

Perth - can't really comment. I, personally, think it looks really nice. But it's just so far away from everything and if on an exchange you want to check out Sydney for the weekend it's a 4-5 hour plane ride ... Climate is Mediterranean, so same as Adelaide, but I think it gets a little more rain.

Canberra - I don't recommend. It's too small and there's nothing to do and it's cold.

Hobart or Launceston - cold and wet in winter, with small populations. Close to some beautiful forests though.

16. PrincessGarnet

PrincessGarnet New Member

Oh this sounds interesting, we never had anything like this in high school. I'm sure you'll have a great experience where ever you go. You were probably wise not to go to Austria the euro is doing really strong compared to other currencies making the euro zone more expensive than usual *sigh*.