1. Lite

Lite New Member

forum location for videogame plots/scripts?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Lite, Mar 15, 2009.

I tried to search, but i couldent find a location for videogame plots/scripts/ideas. Is there a specific section on this site which i should post these in?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

No. This isn't really a gaming site, and videogames aren;y really sufficiently linear to be critiqued like fiction. they are too fragmentary in nature.

3. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

A lot of people come here asking about these sort of things and it just shocks me. Video Game scripts are more like schematics than written literature. If you ever see a real game design document it's about 10% script and 90% other stuff ranging from computer jargon to audio to file formats and UML charts. These documents can't be reviewed by their own nature because they are constantly changing and contain things that people on a writing site won't get unless they have the education for it. It's hard to describe because you have to actually see how one is set up to get it but there is no way a game design document would ever fit this site and its purpose.

More importantly, why would you put this document where everyone can see it? Game development companies guard their design documents like a pack of zombies desires brains and for good reason.

4. Lite

Lite New Member

Because i would value people's opinions on the story, which would be all that i would post. Just the story along which you play, not the coding or schematics. Its just difficult to restyle the videogame story into something like a book form...

5. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

It depends on how you write it out. Most of the time, for instance, games are written as scripts, so if you had it formatted like something similar to the Metal Gear Solid series, you'll want to post it in Scripts. If it's written as a book, and actually has scenes that are well described, than you'll want to post it in Fiction or the Short Stories under the proper genre. Keep in mind though that if it is already a made game, it goes in Fan-Fiction.

Story-wise, you're going to have to really capture an audience through the writing if you want it to be successful. Since video games play with visuals to get us enthused about them, you're going to have to go into great detail about what you want us to see, because we can't until it hits shelves.

6. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

I disagree with that. Gogito, people have probably already have posted scripts or fiction on this site with the intention of it being a video game and you just don't know it. I think it's best for what Oasis Writer posted above me.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

S-Wo, that isn't the same thing, A story written with te intention of creating a video game can be cr5itiqued on its own merits as a story. But a video game script consists of a collection of fragments, and those fragments aren't intended to be read in a simple linear fashion. Some fragments will be encountered out of sequence, unless the game is extremely restrictive.

Game scripts really do not follow the same models as anything this site focuses on.

8. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Lets put it this way. Movie scripts and play scripts can be read as literature. A video game script (even the cinematic parts of it) can not to be read as literature. They are blueprints that serve as instructions and guidelines. Cogito is right about their fragmented nature and that's because a game isn't read or watched, it's played. In a game design format it's not reviewable (Seriously, you can find examples of these on the net. Look at one and then try to tell me it can be reviewed). They're often jumbled messes of ideas, thrown out concepts, art work, charts, grid layouts, and code that as a whole makes no sense except to those who made it (probably because no one else is ever probably gonna see it). Game scripts are not reviewable.

If story line is all you want feedback on, you could probably format it into a reviewable form by converting it to a movie or play script format. That's reviewable. Just cut out all the in between and only include the story line and maybe fill in the gaps as needed. If you already have all this written out in the game script, it's simple as cut paste write the connections in and it's in a reviewable form (that would probably take a few hours...) You can put up the story line idea in Plot Development (I'll warn you though I doubt you'll get a great deal of help. Most people will simply say they like it/don't like it/think it's a rip off of <insert other game/story/movie/TV series etc>).

IMO, if you're far enough along in the process that you actually have a working document, you'll be much better off actually making the game. Make it. Play it, test it, fix it. Show it to people you know and ask them. A site dedicated to the writing and critique of literature can't help you in a meaningful way.

EDIT: Let me explain that last sentence. THe main thing that separates all the world's media is presentation. This site, is specific to media that is presented primarily through the written or spoken word. Most of the time spent critiquing here, is changes to sentence structure, organization, grammar, word choice, and basically anything that is primarily based on language. A video game, does not present it's content via language, it presents it's content via player-game interaction. Cure it contains aspects of nearly many forms of media (music, art, movies) but primarily it is interaction. Even if you converted your game script into something that can be reviewed, what you get in feedback can't really be applies to a game. We'll spend most of our time discussion your sentence structures and paragraph organization both of which don't apply to games. Maybe you could get some help in terms of dialogue but overall, there's little to nothing we can help you with that can be applied to a game. A game is an interactive action media, we deal only in written/spoken words here. Reviews for one won't be of much use with the other. I can give Bungie a full review of Halo: The Flood, but that won't make Halo: Combat Evolved any different because what I can tell them about the book is meaningless to the game.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what's been said above is valid, imo...

however, there is an RPG section under the 'lounge' down in 'communitiy action' where at least you'll find kindred spirits lurking, if you just want to toss out ideas for feedback...