Frustrated with Review

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by live2write, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

^^ At first, I misread it as the bank, HSBC. And I am a university lecturer. Unless you are writing only for people from one area and with your background, it helps to check your references are reasonably well known.
    I think the one good thing the OP can get from the reviews so far is that the writing could be clearer. It's all very well tantalising the reader, but pointless leaving them without the foggiest idea of who characters are or what exactly is going on. They'll just stop reading. I find it's helpful occasionally asking friends and relatives for general feedback--I can edit my writing for wording or format errors before submission by myself, now, but it's always useful to see what an average person makes of my work.

2. supportivemember

supportivemember Banned

("...reviews are false gods, where instead the number of views to your work becomes one's readership without further conjecture..." smiled the goblin as if offering a big hug in his way, and then adding "...well you're a writer now, you'll meet rejection and flames at every corner on the way, and from unexpected quarters too, but you simply need to keep asking yourself if it's really you by what you've written or something that's not you then, so please, let's have no more talk of your giving up now, for in the end you write with your readers but never just for them...", simply, the goblin had often felt that the readers were like a pack of wolves, where indeed it was such fun to write with them in mind, yet one never quite allowed them near enough to let them devour one up through their exceptions, for one would be like dead to oneself writing like that for them then)

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

To be completely honest so did I. You are absolutely right though, it does help to check things like this. Just in case.

4. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

Don't get me started on AW. :D Lot's of great members and information there, but the bitter spinster who owns the place just ruins it for everybody.

Anyway, as for the topic, I've noticed most people (including myself) really don't know how to properly critique other people's work. Just like with everything, there's a way to do it well and there's a way to do it badly. Usually when I notice someone giving critique without knowing how to do it properly, I just ignore it. I'll give you a couple of examples I got from a lecture on writing I found on YouTube (Brandon Sanderson's lectures, I've absolutely no idea who the guy is but he made some valid points about critting):

Instead of saying "make this part more exciting," why not say "I found this part a little dull"? Because how do you know if the author wanted to make the part slower, "duller" on purpose in order to, e.g. contrast with the next chapter that's full of action or perhaps they're describing a dull character who's supposed to appear boring to the reader?

Instead of saying "make this character less annoying," why not say "I found this character a bit annoying"? Because many writers include annoying characters into their stories. Many villains fall into this category for obvious reasons.

Instead of saying "you should tell the reader what's going on here," why not say "I'm looking forward to how you'll explain things X, Y, and Z"? Because, seriously, how do you create suspense if you're supposed to reveal everything from the get-go? If you tell everything on the first page, why would the reader carry on reading? I mean, they know everything important, everything that's going to happen and why... why read?

Just a few things I thought I'd share with the rest of you. Again, not my ideas, I got them from Brandon Sanderson's lectures someone posted on YT. And yeah, I've encountered all of the above when dealing with rookie critters or people who have otherwise been dilettantes when it comes to writing reviews. It takes very little to be a better reviewer than I am, but sadly some people don't even want to put in even that tiny bit of effort to improve their critiquing skills because they think they already know it all and that their word is the sole, absolute, undeniable truth. I suppose it's obvious whether you should put any merit on such critiques or not...

5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

T. Trian (above) makes some excellent points, in my opinion, especially the tip to focus remarks on how you, the reviewer, has received the story, rather than on what you think the author should be doing.

I would like to add that I find it easier to direct a critique when a) the writing genre is one that I understand and enjoy myself, and b) when the author gives enough background information (outside the piece itself) to let us know what he/she needs us to focus on.

There is no point in telling an author that they need to 'start off with a bang' when the piece they've submitted is Chapter Four of their 25-chapter novel. If the author makes clear that this is an ongoing story, gives the forum an idea of what has gone before and where he/she wants this particular piece to lead, then the critique they get is bound to be more helpful.

Don't ever submit stuff as stand-alone writing, when it's not!

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto that, tt!... would you believe that after years of my helping members there the same way i've been doing here, she banned me for life just because i objected to a couple of bullies who were hassling nice members [turned out the bullies were pals of hers!]?... i took the ban as a badge of honor, having no desire to remain on a site where the owner cared nothing for her non-bosom-buddy members...

7. Lemex

I've only just even heard about Absolute Write from another user here (only reveal who if they are cool with me doing so) and heard a similar sort of story about it. I've only ever used this forum, really, so I don't know anything about it. Even so, can we not start some sort of forum war? I'm not entirely sure what one of those even is but I've heard they can be annoying so ... let's please not go down that road, people, alright?

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Agreed. I've always shut down any kind of comparative site/forum discussions when I was a moderator. They are not productive, and only lead to nastiness.

9. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

Moderators are not productive, and only lead to nastiness.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

and your attention to such matters kept this site peaceful and 'professional' in nature for all the years you were in control, cog... sadly, since you became a 'civilian' things have deteriorated badly, with spam going unnoticed till i report it, childish intruders wasting page after page with their egomanic drivel, and digressions allowed to derail op's threads far too long...

oh, how i long for the 'old' days, old son! :(

11. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I think it is perfectly adequate to ask members to refrain from slagging off other sites. There is no need for dictatorial, paternalistic or controlling moderating in the form of banning, deleting infractions etc. Like Martha Graham said, "Censorship is the height of vanity." It achieves nothing other than the false sense of power on behalf of the censor.
    Imho, moderating tools should be reserved only for the most severe of incidents, the rest can be achieved through dialogue.
    I think this site has blossomed under a more liberal and respectful moderating style. A place to freely discuss ideas and issues. Go mods! :)

12. evelon

evelon Active Member

Yes to all of that.

1 person likes this.
  13. Lemex

Can we please get this forum back on course (I know I've not helped here myself, but anyway). Also spammed links are eventually dealt with, but the boundaries of the new 'Free Speech' policy are still being tested. Since, I personally would not feel comfortable repealing a decision made by the site owner, the forum moderation is still in a sort of transitional phase, so if you have a concern in this area please contact Daniel.

14. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

This is a great attitude to have. Well put erebh.

15. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Don't ever give up. Ignore the rude comments and keep trying. J.K Rowling was once told she would never be a good writer but that didn't stop her. Now all the publishing companies are kicking themselves. Never ever ever give up. Just keep trying.

16. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

Hilarious. And how your post not drivel and spam??? This is the internet...your high horse is an illusion. In the peanut gallery all are welcome!

17. Cogito

And should I refrain from pointing out your own long history of violations for insulting other members, since you are so freely taking potshots? Consider yourself reported.

18. Cogito

And should I refrain from pointing out your own long history of violations for insulting other members, since you are so freely taking potshots? Consider yourself reported. Again.

19. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

Ah yes more drivel. If that's what gets you off have at it bud. Itchy trigger fingers.

20. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Guess what? Sometimes people want to set up a relatively civilized place on the internet. The people who run it try to keep it peaceful, and those who appreciate peace appreciate them. That's not hilarious.

Your statement that "This is the internet ... your high horse is an illusion" is basically saying that everyone here has to accept the worst the internet has to offer. That's not true. I've seen sites on the internet in which every post is an ugly racial or sexual slur and no intelligent discussion goes on whatsoever. You seem to think this should be just another internet cesspit like those. I'm glad this place isn't.

Do I think this place has been overmoderated? At times, yes. But I appreciate the efforts of all the moderators, past and present, to keep this place sane. It's normal and to be expected that the members will disagree with the moderators from time to time. That's okay. But their work makes this place a WRITING community, not a mindless flame-war community. And every now and then we should salute the moderators for their work.

This is not a place for spewing shit in all directions. We're seriously trying to improve as writers. Picking fights and insulting other members is not conducive to that.

21. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

Well apparently Cogito has stated he has access to all my infractions so he can present those posts are "racial or sexual slurs". I'm confident that he won't find much.

Perhaps they should categorize their infractions better?

22. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Excuse me? I never said that any of your posts on this forum fell into the category of racial or sexual slurs. I specifically said I'd seen that on other sites, not this one. I was making the point that I appreciate the efforts of the moderators here in preventing this site from becoming like those other sites. Get it?

23. gerzon

gerzon New Member

@ TS,
    I think those people are the ones who should go back to college,
    I mean, there are so many styles and genres in writing, so they shouldn't just judge you because your style of putting the plot is different to them.

24. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

So you are not interested in any of the infractions? How about how many infractions are actual racial and sexual slurs compared to other infractions? You are just content with what Big Brother sells.

25. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.