1. AspiringNovelist

AspiringNovelist Senior Member

Game plot

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by AspiringNovelist, Jul 21, 2015.

Hi,

There's a nifty game titled: The Flame in the Flood. The yt video is here: It's your standard survival game with thirst, hunger, health bars and the character is being propelled forward in a raft.

At any rate, the reason I like the game is that you're forced to move forward and you can't go back. I'm trying to think of something similar -- meaning you can't go back, you can only move forward.

I thought of maybe the MC is stranded on top of a snow covered mountain, but that doesn't leave all the debris I need to sift through.

I thought of doing something with Time, but I can't think of anything except the MC has to get to a way-point before time expires.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Clover

Clover Member

I guess time is the obvious one... the other being place, and there could be any number of places behind them which stop them going back. Invaders spreading?

AspiringNovelist likes this.
  3. AspiringNovelist

Thanks Clover.

I've thought of that, too. I'll give it some more thought and try to expand it.

4. AgentBen

AgentBen Member

It is to my understanding that there is already a story about needing to go down a snow-covered mountain. However, I don't know how similar that is to what you are saying. (I haven't read the book.)

The idea you have sounds good though. If you want to do something with time, maybe someone is chasing them? That will make sure the MC will not turn back.

5. Viridian

Viridian Member Supporter

You could use the time thing. Maybe the MC needs something (some kind of medicine for someone??) but you need different plants or whatever to make the medicine and each plant grows at diff times of the year in diff countries but you have to get each piece together before a specific time (moon cycle or something) so you move forward in time to each moment each plant is ready but have various obstacles to overcome to get to each place where it grows (remote places?). Or something like that!

Clover and AspiringNovelist like this.
  6. AspiringNovelist

Oh, wow Viridian -- that's an interesting concept. Thanks.

Viridian likes this.
  7. Viridian

Viridian Member Supporter

You're very welcome